$2000 Flight Simulator PC

YegorL

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello,

I am planning on building a new computer with a budget of $2000, 1475 euros or 1165 pounds, however, I am not sure about some of the components.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k or i7 4790k
Motherboard: Not sure yet
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 or 780 (both Asus or MSI)
PSU Not sure yet
Case: NZXT H440 (probably)
CPU cooler: air-cooled by a noctua or water-cooled
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 gigabytes of DDR3 ram, 1600mhz
Storage: 1 or 2 terabytes (Seagate or Western Digital)
Optical Drive: None
Case Fans: Not sure yet
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64Bit
Display: not sure yet
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard: Not sure yet

I am not sure about the CPU, PSU, the case, as it might not fit certain water or air coolers, about the hard drive, case fans, the screen and the keyboard. I want my computer built for FSX and X-Plane, however, I will mod these simulators. As I understand, FSX and X-Plane use the CPU more than the GPU, however, modding the scenery puts a bigger load onto the GPU. I am also interested in Assetto Corsa, Just Cause 2 and a few other games. I want the keyboard to be comfortable to use because I will also use my PC for work. An SSD is optional. I might buy it as an upgrade later on.

Solution
I'm your man. I'll be happy to help you.

I've designed and built my rigs for years with the primary focus on FSX and X-Plane. I'm a former pilot but I don't fly anymore due to a bad left eye, so the only way I can get my "fix" is through these simulations.

Since you already have a good grasp on the concepts of the hardware requirements, I won't go into why SLI is not recommended, or why hyperthreading and CPU overclocking are.

The most common problem that I encounter with builders is overcoming the "gaming" mentality, which is GPU bound, and fails to recognize the nature of these "simulations" as CPU bound.

With that said, I'll toss a few recommendation out here for starters.

4790K overclocked to the edge of specifications.

Liquid...
G

My advice:

CPU: i7 4790k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 LGA 1150 Socket Motherboard
GPU: GTX 780
PSU: Corsair GS 700 - 700W Power Supply 80+ Certified
Display: Go for 1080p monitor
All the other components are fine.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I'm your man. I'll be happy to help you.

I've designed and built my rigs for years with the primary focus on FSX and X-Plane. I'm a former pilot but I don't fly anymore due to a bad left eye, so the only way I can get my "fix" is through these simulations.

Since you already have a good grasp on the concepts of the hardware requirements, I won't go into why SLI is not recommended, or why hyperthreading and CPU overclocking are.

The most common problem that I encounter with builders is overcoming the "gaming" mentality, which is GPU bound, and fails to recognize the nature of these "simulations" as CPU bound.

With that said, I'll toss a few recommendation out here for starters.

4790K overclocked to the edge of specifications.

Liquid cooling.

GPU with linear cooling exhausts it's heat from the case, which favors an overclocked CPU. GPU with axial cooling recirculates it's heat inside the case, which is counter to an overclocked CPU.

An SSD is a must have item.

CT :sol:

Solution

YegorL

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Hello,

Which GTX 780 or GTX 770 has linear cooling exhausts? Or how do I know if it does or doesn't?

Thank you.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Although axial cooling will allow the GPU to be overclocked a little higher than linear cooling, GPU overclocking has a negligible effect on FSX frame rate, while CPU overclocking has a direct effect on FSX frame rate.

For this reason, as well as for the effect on CPU cooling, I always recommend a linear cooled GPU for FSX.

Here's a few links so you can see to what I'm referring:

Linear cooling - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130917 - The fins on the face of this GPU shown in the photos look like they're exposed, but they're not; the fins are under a clear plastic cover.

Axial cooling - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

Having a graphics card which pollutes the inside of your case with it's waste heat is a huge no no when the primary objective is to keep a highly overclocked CPU nice and cool.

Whether your CPU is air or liquid cooled, it's about air cooling. In most instances, the liquid in a radiator must still be cooled with air drawn from the case.

EricTheRed

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Mind posting your build here when it's done? I'm interested to see if you can actually get under budget with those specs.

i7 4790K, GTX 780, Z97 Mobo, 16GB RAM, with that case and an OS + keyboard, mouse and monitor... Really seems to be pushing it on that budget IMO, especially if you're throwing in an SSD

I'm from Canada and I know US is cheaper but that would definitely run me well over $2000 after tax and shipping

YegorL

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Yes, you're right. I might have to change the GTX780 to the 770, use 1 terabyte of storage and get a different mouse.

YegorL

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Do you have any suggestions on which water cooler I should use? I'm planning on using an H440 by NZXT, and I understand that I can use its top or front to house a 360mm radiator. I prefer using a liquid cooling device because you said I should and it will also look staggering on a H440. By the way, I can increase my budget.