Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good or bad build

Last response: in Components
Share
July 16, 2014 6:42:15 PM

So I made this build is it good. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VV9wyc
Also I am not going any more expensive than I am now.

More about : good bad build

July 16, 2014 6:53:28 PM

go 2 tb
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2014 6:53:52 PM

i'm not a big fan of these expensive Intel I5 paired with GTX 770 or R9 280X. You could run a cheaper CPU with those GPU and save money.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 16, 2014 6:55:14 PM

well thanks for the response and I am fine with the price
m
0
l
July 16, 2014 6:57:12 PM

Salamaster said:
well thanks for the response and I am fine with the price


pierrerock makes a good point. Pair i3 with GTX 760 and save a few bucks, get a 212 plus cpu cooler and go for a more conservative case, say the nzxt source 210. Then get an ssd instead of the extra 100 bucks that you've put into the cpu and gpu combo.

Ultimately it's your decision.

Good luck.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2014 6:59:42 PM

What I mean is you CPU is too strong for your GPU. if you would get a cheaper CPU you could invest that money in a better GPU. So you would get better overall gaming performance
m
0
l
July 16, 2014 7:01:22 PM

pierrerock said:
What I mean is you CPU is too strong for your GPU. if you would get a cheaper CPU you could invest that money in a better GPU. So you would get better overall gaming performance


yup thats what im saying. i3 is basically i5 (some will flame on this, doesn't phase me) and about 100 bucks cheaper. This way you could go with a more expensive, mid range card (GTX 760, R9 270X) and have no bottlenecks.
m
0
l
July 16, 2014 7:06:41 PM

DragonFireXY said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/37gZ99
A much better choice. Anti-static protection is unnecessary just touch the power supply.


HOLY BOTTLENECK!

nononononononononono

i meant i3 and midrange card. a 290 is nowhere NEAR midranged.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2014 7:07:53 PM

blue_smoke said:
pierrerock said:
What I mean is you CPU is too strong for your GPU. if you would get a cheaper CPU you could invest that money in a better GPU. So you would get better overall gaming performance


yup thats what im saying. i3 is basically i5 (some will flame on this, doesn't phase me) and about 100 bucks cheaper. This way you could go with a more expensive, mid range card (GTX 760, R9 270X) and have no bottlenecks.


his actual card is a R9 280X which is slightly better than a GTX 770 so i'm affraid intel does not have the best solution. you can find a 8-core FX-8320 for 150 $ and upgrade your GPU to something like a R9 290. for almost the same price


m
0
l
July 16, 2014 7:08:11 PM

Other than I'd go with Windows 7 over 8.1, I'd build it just like it is. I like it. I'd keep that CPU, and down the road, you can add a second GPU in crossfire if the need arises, and not worry about having an underpowered CPU at that point. Although adding a second GPU would likely mean replacing your PSU as well.
m
0
l
July 16, 2014 7:10:28 PM

The i5 with the 280 is fine, but to save money you don't need an aftermarket cooler since the i5 is a non-k and buy a cheaper board and cheaper ram.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tKRnyc
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2014 7:10:30 PM

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Archon ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $910.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 16, 2014 7:20:25 PM

pierrerock said:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Archon ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $910.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


Yep. Should give you high settings in gta iv :) 

yeah thats a great build will max any game at 1080p.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 17, 2014 4:33:10 PM

Salamaster said:
what about this then. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Q4923
also I am planning to upgrade around Christmas.


Great build, definitely recommend it. But since it looks like you want to OC, need a Z87 or Z97 board
Share
July 18, 2014 2:30:33 PM

Jonathan Tyer said:
Salamaster said:
what about this then. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Q4923
also I am planning to upgrade around Christmas.


Great build, definitely recommend it. But since it looks like you want to OC, need a Z87 or Z97 board


h chipsets still work on mild overclocks. OP should not have to worry unless using LN2 :D 
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 5:25:40 PM

blue_smoke said:
Jonathan Tyer said:
Salamaster said:
what about this then. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Q4923
also I am planning to upgrade around Christmas.


Great build, definitely recommend it. But since it looks like you want to OC, need a Z87 or Z97 board


h chipsets still work on mild overclocks. OP should not have to worry unless using LN2 :D 


But they are made for OC and are much better than other boards.
m
0
l
!