Solved

Z87X-OC BIOS: CPU optimised default set to non-3.5 GHz clock speed

I have been having some trouble recently with my Z87X-OC motherboard. It keeps resetting my i7-4770k's core clock speed to 3.9GHz every time a shut down my PC. It also doesn't save my BIOS settings after I make changes within the BIOS. I have taken out the BIOS battery and reset the CMOS using the button facility. I could replace the battery but would this fix the problem? Anyone experienced something similar and fixed it?

EDIT: Thanks for the advice guys. Just a bit more on the problem, every time I restart or shut down my PC, my PC turns on and off a few times and then the blue UEFI BIOS screen as the below shows up.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/760x400q90/538/5efd91.jpg

My BIOS settings are:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/760x400q90/540/60b08c.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/760x400q90/901/d0e66f.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/760x400q90/536/912d27.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/760x400q90/908/89d0eb.jpg
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about z87x bios cpu optimised default set ghz clock speed
  1. Black- said:
    I have been having some trouble recently with my Z87X-OC motherboard. It keeps resetting my i7-4770k's core clock speed to 3.9GHz every time a shut down my PC. It also doesn't save my BIOS settings after I make changes within the BIOS. I have taken out the BIOS battery and reset the CMOS using the button facility. I could replace the battery but would this fix the problem? Anyone experienced something similar and fixed it?


    I have the same cpu and mobo and haven't experienced such an issue.Try replacing mobo's battery (its a CR2032 model).

    Also make yourself clear. The speed of 4770k is 3.5ghz but with turbo mode which is enabled by default, it kicks up to 3.9GHz. Please share print-screens of your bios settings.

    Finally, try to update your bios to the latest version
  2. Best answer
    Potential fixes (if a problem):

    1. Update the BIOS http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4514#bios

    2. Confirm you really can't change anything. Pick something simple like disabling the AUDIO, then save, reboot into the BIOS and see if it saved or not. If it did you really are saving, though before you may have tried to do something it didn't like with the CPU and/or memory and just reset you.
  3. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into flashing the BIOS.
  4. Black- said:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into flashing the BIOS.


    Your settings look pretty ok. It's not a problem that the cpu is set to 3.5GHz and you can see it rising up to 3.9GHz. Actually this is how it shall work and it's perfectly fine ( if this is the case! )

    Now, if other settings in bios are not maintained after a restart, possibilities are 1)battery or 2) Faulty mobo. . .

    EDIT:

    The only abnormal thing is that your vCore (core voltage) is ate 1.2V which is extremely high for a stock 4770K
  5. Snake_A said:
    Black- said:
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into flashing the BIOS.


    Your settings look pretty ok. It's not a problem that the cpu is set to 3.5GHz and you can see it rising up to 3.9GHz. Actually this is how it shall work and it's perfectly fine ( if this is the case! )

    Now, if other settings in bios are not maintained after a restart, possibilities are 1)battery or 2) Faulty mobo. . .

    EDIT:

    The only abnormal thing is that your vCore (core voltage) is ate 1.2V which is extremely high for a stock 4770K



    Seems like the vCore is at 1.128V now. Not sure what's going on with my PC at the moment. The issue is that if it were to Turbo at 3.9GHz then the system would be under some load, from my understanding. Even at idle, my PC is at 3.9GHz. And I keep getting that blue screen UEFI error after every startup. I'm getting a new battery tomorrow and hopefully this will fix the issue although I'm not optimistic.
  6. Hey guys as an update, I've changed my BIOS battery but that blue screen keeps showing up. Tried to update my BIOS by downloading the BIOS files off the site but none of them worked as there was an error about my version of Windows not being the same bit version i.e. 32 or 64 as the update software. I then tried to update using @BIOS but it just shut my PC off and ended up getting that blue screen again. Not sure what to try next. Any ideas?
Ask a new question

Read More

4770k Gigabyte Motherboards