Solved

New to PC Building

This is going to be my first PC build and I came here to see other people's opinions and recommendations. This PC is purely for gaming.
For the CPU, I want to an i5-4670K or a i5-4690k. For the GPU, there's many options but I'm having trouble choosing. I'm choosing between a GTX 760, 770, and a R9 280x. For RAM, I'll most likely get 16GB. Do you guys have any recommendations for which CPU, GPU, motherboard, PSU, Case, fans, etc? How many watts would I need? Thanks for the help!
42 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building
  1. Do you have a budget?
  2. Tom's have very recently written a very good article on this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html

    In addition, they provide regular updates to their 'best CPU/GPU' in each category:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
    and
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

    Have a good check over these. Once you narrow things down get back to us and we'll help - if needed - with component selection.
    These articles will give you a very good grounding. You've done some research as obvious by the details given.
  3. DelroyMonjo said:
    Do you have a budget?


    Well not really but I wouldn't want to go overkill on the budget.
  4. Check this PSU out, you may find it appropriate for you setup, at least if money is not an issue I would go for this one.

    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 850W Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR
  5. Jim90 said:
    Tom's have very recently written a very good article on this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html

    In addition, they provide regular updates to their 'best CPU/GPU' in each category:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
    and
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

    Have a good check over these. Once you narrow things down get back to us and we'll help - if needed - with component selection.
    These articles will give you a very good grounding. You've done some research as obvious by the details given.

    Thanks alot for these helpful links. I'll definitely have a good look at them all. It'll really help me choose the components for the build. Thank you again!
  6. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

    go to this link and input your specs and it will tell you what wattage. when I did it it came up with 650w and that's the high end... corsair and seasonic are the best with seasonic being the very best. will you be overclocking. what cooler for cpu, do you prefer amd or nvidea, what resolution are you gaming at 1080p 1440p, 1600p. HOW MUCKH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND...
  7. James Tech said:
    Check this PSU out, you may find it appropriate for you setup, at least if money is not an issue I would go for this one.

    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 850W Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR
    I had a quick look at it and the reviews were great. Having a 10 year warranty is a plus. However, I've heard many great things from Corsair products as well. Which would you recommend?
  8. terminator4992 said:
    James Tech said:
    Check this PSU out, you may find it appropriate for you setup, at least if money is not an issue I would go for this one.

    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 850W Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR
    I had a quick look at it and the reviews were great. Having a 10 year warranty is a plus. However, I've heard many great things from Corsair products as well. Which would you recommend?



    seasonic makes some corsair psu's as they are rebranded.
  9. terminator4992 said:
    James Tech said:
    Check this PSU out, you may find it appropriate for you setup, at least if money is not an issue I would go for this one.

    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 850W Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR
    I had a quick look at it and the reviews were great. Having a 10 year warranty is a plus. However, I've heard many great things from Corsair products as well. Which would you recommend?

    Well, Corsair has great products as well, I say that either of them are a great choice. Here's a PSU I'd recommend from Corsair.

    Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M
  10. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8tNxr
    Here you go man. This will play all your games on ultra for years and be cool, and quiet. And it looks bad a-- to boot. If you need OS add 85$
  11. corndog1836 said:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

    go to this link and input your specs and it will tell you what wattage. when I did it it came up with 650w and that's the high end... corsair and seasonic are the best with seasonic being the very best. will you be overclocking. what cooler for cpu, do you prefer amd or nvidea, what resolution are you gaming at 1080p 1440p, 1600p. HOW MUCKH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND...
    Thanks for the link. I won't be doing overclocking since I have no clue how to. Plus I wouldn't want to mess anything up. I don't know what cooler I'd want which is why I made this thread. I'm asking for your opinion. I'd probably prefer Nvidia but if an AMD GPU can do the same for a lower price, why not AMD? I'd like 1080p, maybe 1440p later on once I can get a higher end rig. As for spending, around $1000. If I can do less than that with a good PC, then great.
  12. Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
  13. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mPrwyc

    preliminary build for you to start with
  14. Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?
  15. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cpVmG

    here is another but it is close to gorgonzer's build...
  16. corndog1836 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mPrwyc

    preliminary build for you to start with
    This is also a very great setup. For a beginner and with these components, should I stick to air cooling? I think air cooling would be a safer bet for a beginner.
  17. terminator4992 said:
    corndog1836 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mPrwyc

    preliminary build for you to start with
    This is also a very great setup. For a beginner and with these components, should I stick to air cooling? I think air cooling would be a safer bet for a beginner.



    5000% yes
  18. terminator4992 said:
    corndog1836 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mPrwyc

    preliminary build for you to start with
    This is also a very great setup. For a beginner and with these components, should I stick to air cooling? I think air cooling would be a safer bet for a beginner.



    I gave you a larger psu in case you want to sli later. don't skimp on the ssd.
  19. I'd like to ask you guys: what do you have on your PC? I'm curious to see what type of setup others have.
  20. corndog1836 said:
    terminator4992 said:
    corndog1836 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mPrwyc

    preliminary build for you to start with
    This is also a very great setup. For a beginner and with these components, should I stick to air cooling? I think air cooling would be a safer bet for a beginner.



    I gave you a larger psu in case you want to sli later. don't skimp on the ssd.
    Yeah. Many people have told me to not skimp on the SSD but most importantly the PSU.
  21. terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?


    It would be really good. If you want to drop the water cooler cuz you wont be OC'ing we can go with a different setup to get the most performance.
  22. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cordog1836/saved/69wkcf

    currently building this...part are on the way. I may go sli to start...
  23. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Crysis-3-System-Requirements-DirectX-11-Radeon-GeForce,19509.html


    by the way. don't even try crisis 3 on ultra without sli....770 or above
  24. Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?


    It would be really good. If you want to drop the water cooler cuz you wont be OC'ing we can go with a different setup to get the most performance.

    That's great to hear. Yeah I'll most likely drop the water cooler since I'm new to this. For a 2nd build, I should have more experience. So how is your PC setup?
  25. terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?


    It would be really good. If you want to drop the water cooler cuz you wont be OC'ing we can go with a different setup to get the most performance.

    That's great to hear. Yeah I'll most likely drop the water cooler since I'm new to this. For a 2nd build, I should have more experience. So how is your PC setup?



    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gorgonzer/saved/tfKhP6 My personal.
    I build custom systems for people alot though.
  26. corndog1836 said:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cordog1836/saved/69wkcf

    currently building this...part are on the way. I may go sli to start...
    That's a beauty. A dream machine. Great parts you chose. What games are you going to run on your PC?
  27. Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?


    It would be really good. If you want to drop the water cooler cuz you wont be OC'ing we can go with a different setup to get the most performance.

    That's great to hear. Yeah I'll most likely drop the water cooler since I'm new to this. For a 2nd build, I should have more experience. So how is your PC setup?



    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gorgonzer/saved/tfKhP6 My personal.
    I build custom systems for people alot though.
    Nice setup man. How many PCs have you built before?
  28. assassins creed black flag. waiting for new Fallout 5 and new crisis. I would love it if halo would go back to pc. thanks I have a large budget. I want bragging rites. I save for years to buy it.
  29. terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?


    It would be really good. If you want to drop the water cooler cuz you wont be OC'ing we can go with a different setup to get the most performance.

    That's great to hear. Yeah I'll most likely drop the water cooler since I'm new to this. For a 2nd build, I should have more experience. So how is your PC setup?



    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gorgonzer/saved/tfKhP6 My personal.
    I build custom systems for people alot though.
    Nice setup man. How many PCs have you built before?



    this will be my second build
  30. Best answer
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    terminator4992 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    Seeing that your budget would like to be a bit lower than what I first suggested, I have revised to 1100$
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdhYmG
    Just Add the SSD and SLI the 770 down the road!
    This is actually a really great setup. With these specs and components, how do you think it would handle with games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high or ultra settings?


    It would be really good. If you want to drop the water cooler cuz you wont be OC'ing we can go with a different setup to get the most performance.

    That's great to hear. Yeah I'll most likely drop the water cooler since I'm new to this. For a 2nd build, I should have more experience. So how is your PC setup?



    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gorgonzer/saved/tfKhP6 My personal.
    I build custom systems for people alot though.
    Nice setup man. How many PCs have you built before?


    3 for myself, 6 more for friends, family, and coworkers.
  31. My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.
  32. corndog1836 said:
    assassins creed black flag. waiting for new Fallout 5 and new crisis. I would love it if halo would go back to pc. thanks I have a large budget. I want bragging rites. I save for years to buy it.
    Nice. You mean Fallout 4? New Vegas isn't considered as 4. Hey man, you deserve it.

  33. 3 for myself, 6 more for friends, family, and coworkers.


    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.
    That sounds difficult but with your experience, it shouldn't be a problem.
  34. terminator4992 said:
    corndog1836 said:
    assassins creed black flag. waiting for new Fallout 5 and new crisis. I would love it if halo would go back to pc. thanks I have a large budget. I want bragging rites. I save for years to buy it.
    Nice. You mean Fallout 4? New Vegas isn't considered as 4. Hey man, you deserve it.



    fallout 5 will be next and any new versions of crisis. I loved fallout 3 and fallout new vegas.

  35. 3 for myself, 6 more for friends, family, and coworkers.


    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.
    That sounds difficult but with your experience, it shouldn't be a problem.


    PC working right is one thing, but looking cool is a whole other ball of wax. Look at some of these!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=custom+mod+pc&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NErIU_ytA4T5oASProDYCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=631

    I need to work on my fiber-glassing skills!
  36. Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.


    I am eventually going to try a custom loop on both 780tis and 4790k in my new build in the future. gotta do more research though. do you like my build in progress?
  37. Gorgonzer said:

    3 for myself, 6 more for friends, family, and coworkers.


    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.
    That sounds difficult but with your experience, it shouldn't be a problem.


    PC working right is one thing, but looking cool is a whole other ball of wax. Look at some of these!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=custom+mod+pc&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NErIU_ytA4T5oASProDYCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=631

    I need to work on my fiber-glassing skills!

    the looks would be the only reason I would go with the phanteks over the new noctua(FUGLY)
  38. That is amazing! I didn't even know people modded their cases. They're a work of art. I can only imagine the days of work and creativity they put into them.
  39. corndog1836 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.


    I am eventually going to try a custom loop on both 780tis and 4790k in my new build in the future. gotta do more research though. do you like my build in progress?


    Yea it looks good. http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html?id=tdbtLYot is a good starting point to start checking what will work with your current components.
  40. corndog1836 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.


    I am eventually going to try a custom loop on both 780tis and 4790k in my new build in the future. gotta do more research though. do you like my build in progress?


    Yea it looks good. http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html?id=tdbtLYot is a good starting point to start checking what will work with your current components.
    [/quotemsg

    I an probably not the first to tell this but building for yourself can be exciting and stressful especially when new stuff is always popping up.
  41. Gorgonzer said:
    corndog1836 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.


    I am eventually going to try a custom loop on both 780tis and 4790k in my new build in the future. gotta do more research though. do you like my build in progress?


    Yea it looks good. http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html?id=tdbtLYot is a good starting point to start checking what will work with your current components.
    [/quotemsg

    I an probably not the first to tell this but building for yourself can be exciting and stressful especially when new stuff is always popping up.


    Yea, as long as you leave yourself an upgrade path it usually works out. Like in my case, I can still add a second 290 to mine and get another year or 2 out of it. By then the new 800 series gtx's will be out and the 5th gen intels. Games are getting more and more demanding.
  42. corndog1836 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    corndog1836 said:
    Gorgonzer said:
    My next venture is into Modding cases and Custom water cooling loops.


    I am eventually going to try a custom loop on both 780tis and 4790k in my new build in the future. gotta do more research though. do you like my build in progress?


    Yea it looks good. http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html?id=tdbtLYot is a good starting point to start checking what will work with your current components.
    [/quotemsg

    I an probably not the first to tell this but building for yourself can be exciting and stressful especially when new stuff is always popping up.


    Yea, as long as you leave yourself an upgrade path it usually works out. Like in my case, I can still add a second 290 to mine and get another year or 2 out of it. By then the new 800 series gtx's will be out and the 5th gen intels. Games are getting more and more demanding.

    yep. I was hoping to go to broadwell after hasswell refresh and 8XX after 780ti's. I think all the other component in this build will be ok for 3 years. maybe more memory at some point but psu, mobo, case, cooler and possibly monitor, ssd and hdd are rock solid. I did the best I could to try to keep an upgrade path.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i5 PC gaming RAM CPUs AMD Motherboards Nvidia GPUs Cases