Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC Compatibility Check!

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Compatibility
  • Build
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 17, 2014 2:47:15 PM

I've created a build on PCPartPicker that I am a couple steps away of ordering. I was just wondering if it was possible that anyone could give it a quick look over to confirm that everything is indeed compatible before I order it all and if there is anything else i need to add. Thanks!

Link :http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xkNBGX

More about : gaming compatibility check

a c 466 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 2:55:29 PM

some problems:

Get 2x4gb RAM, not a single stick.
The PSU is not good. Change to Antec, XFX, Seasonic.
The motherboard uses a 6 year old chipset. Get a 970 board.
Drop the sound card as the motherboard has a better one built in. All modern boards do.
Same with the LAN card. ANY modern motherboard has one built in.
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 2:56:07 PM

I don't know why you're getting a wired network card as the motherboard has a great one built on. Also, look for a R9 270, 270x or a 7870 instead of the 750 ti. It's a much better card for the same price and your PSU is strong enough to support one. Unless you absolutely need the Nvidia features, I highly suggest a 270x. A 270 is just a 270x with a 100MHz underclock, so if you're familiar with MSI afterburner you can achieve the exact same card just by raising a slider.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 2:59:18 PM

Well, I would go AMD for the GPU because it is made for budgets. I doubt you need the sound card so that needs to go. Here is a similar build that you might want to consider

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£119.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 PWM CO 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£5.99 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 PWM CO 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£5.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £575.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 2:59:33 PM

tiny voices said:
some problems:

Get 2x4gb RAM, not a single stick.
The PSU is not good. Change to Antec, XFX, Seasonic.
The motherboard uses a 6 year old chipset. Get a 970 board.
Drop the sound card as the motherboard has a better one built in. All modern boards do.
Same with the LAN card. ANY modern motherboard has one built in.


Corsair makes great PSUs. It's also semi modular. For the price point, there isn't a better option. As for the motherboard and RAM and sound card, dead on.
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 3:00:05 PM

marshal11 said:
I don't know why you're getting a wired network card as the motherboard has a great one built on. Also, look for a R9 270, 270x or a 7870 instead of the 750 ti. It's a much better card for the same price and your PSU is strong enough to support one. Unless you absolutely need the Nvidia features, I highly suggest a 270x. A 270 is just a 270x with a 100MHz underclock, so if you're familiar with MSI afterburner you can achieve the exact same card just by raising a slider.


any chance you could build me a gaming pc for the limit of £600 including os?
m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:00:52 PM

marshal11 said:
tiny voices said:
some problems:

Get 2x4gb RAM, not a single stick.
The PSU is not good. Change to Antec, XFX, Seasonic.
The motherboard uses a 6 year old chipset. Get a 970 board.
Drop the sound card as the motherboard has a better one built in. All modern boards do.
Same with the LAN card. ANY modern motherboard has one built in.


Corsair makes great PSUs. It's also semi modular. For the price point, there isn't a better option. As for the motherboard and RAM and sound card, dead on.


Incorrect. The Cx units are barely average quality due to being made with junk capacitors. This plagues many Corsair units (some RM, ALL CX/VS, and some CSM units) and REALLY lowers the quality to the point where we do not recommend them.
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 3:01:54 PM

mamamia13 said:
Well, I would go AMD for the GPU because it is made for budgets. I doubt you need the sound card so that needs to go. Here is a similar build that you might want to consider

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£119.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£11.99 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 PWM CO 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£5.99 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 PWM CO 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£5.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £587.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


I vote for this man, he knows what he's doing. Though if he's not experienced with MSI afterburner, he should get a 270x instead.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:02:41 PM

marshal11 said:
tiny voices said:
some problems:

Get 2x4gb RAM, not a single stick.
The PSU is not good. Change to Antec, XFX, Seasonic.
The motherboard uses a 6 year old chipset. Get a 970 board.
Drop the sound card as the motherboard has a better one built in. All modern boards do.
Same with the LAN card. ANY modern motherboard has one built in.


Corsair makes great PSUs. It's also semi modular. For the price point, there isn't a better option. As for the motherboard and RAM and sound card, dead on.


Actually, the CX series by corsair uses extremely low quality parts, and with a high quality CPU and GPU, I wouldn't risk it as when the PSU will fail, it will take them and other parts with it.
m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:04:48 PM

mamamia13 said:
marshal11 said:
tiny voices said:
some problems:

Get 2x4gb RAM, not a single stick.
The PSU is not good. Change to Antec, XFX, Seasonic.
The motherboard uses a 6 year old chipset. Get a 970 board.
Drop the sound card as the motherboard has a better one built in. All modern boards do.
Same with the LAN card. ANY modern motherboard has one built in.


Corsair makes great PSUs. It's also semi modular. For the price point, there isn't a better option. As for the motherboard and RAM and sound card, dead on.


Actually, the CX series by corsair uses extremely low quality parts, and with a high quality CPU and GPU, I wouldn't risk it as when the PSU will fail, it will take them and other parts with it.


100% correct.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:05:07 PM

Here is a build for 600 pounds

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£152.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£137.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £594.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 3:06:32 PM

mamamia13 said:
Here is a build for 600 pounds

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£152.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£137.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £594.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


what about fans and such?
m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:06:41 PM

mamamia13 said:
Here is a build for 600 pounds

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£152.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£137.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £594.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


This motherboard is designed for Bitcoin mining and is NOT a good board to chose,. It also won't work with that CPU without a BIOS update. It won't even boot. You NEED a h97 board.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:10:24 PM

tiny voices said:
mamamia13 said:
Here is a build for 600 pounds

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£152.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£137.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £594.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available


This motherboard is designed for Bitcoin mining and is NOT a good board to chose,. It also won't work with that CPU without a BIOS update. It won't even boot. You NEED a h97 board.


forgot about that, updated the build. Also @MrChris360HD, i believe that fans won't be necessary.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:12:03 PM

Edited build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£152.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£55.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£137.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£30.14 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.11 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£9.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.69 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £596.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Share
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:13:01 PM

PSU is a bit overkill. I would get an XFX550 and then use the saved money for a better GPU if possible. Pairing an i5 with a 270 is a bit unbalanced.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:15:39 PM

tiny voices said:
PSU is a bit overkill. I would get an XFX550 and then use the saved money for a better GPU if possible. Pairing an i5 with a 270 is a bit unbalanced.


He can upgrade later on with that PSU but for his budget, I changed it to an XFX. Also, it's a 270X, not a 270.
m
0
l
July 17, 2014 3:15:52 PM

tiny voices said:
PSU is a bit overkill. I would get an XFX550 and then use the saved money for a better GPU if possible. Pairing an i5 with a 270 is a bit unbalanced.


could you show me by building me a pc for £600
m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 3:17:18 PM

The 270x is fine. honestly, unless you change to AMD, you will not be getting a better GPU on that budget. The 270x will run most all modern games at high settings (not ultra) at 1080p without problems.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2014 8:03:27 PM

marshal11 said:
tiny voices said:
some problems:

Get 2x4gb RAM, not a single stick.
The PSU is not good. Change to Antec, XFX, Seasonic.
The motherboard uses a 6 year old chipset. Get a 970 board.
Drop the sound card as the motherboard has a better one built in. All modern boards do.
Same with the LAN card. ANY modern motherboard has one built in.


Corsair makes great PSUs. It's also semi modular. For the price point, there isn't a better option. As for the motherboard and RAM and sound card, dead on.


For the price, yes. For the quality and possible risks to your other parts, no.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2014 11:19:06 AM

tiny voices said:
The 270x is fine. honestly, unless you change to AMD, you will not be getting a better GPU on that budget. The 270x will run most all modern games at high settings (not ultra) at 1080p without problems.


You're darn right it will!





m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 18, 2014 6:50:57 PM

Yeah, the 270x is about the best card for playing at high settings, but just not quiet enough or ultra.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2014 7:40:29 PM

tiny voices said:
Yeah, the 270x is about the best card for playing at high settings, but just not quiet enough or ultra.


wait, quiet? or quite? You really need to clarify your grammer
m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 18, 2014 7:48:39 PM

Quite. My mad. Lol
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2014 7:53:45 PM

Also, how is 51 FPS not enough for ultra at 1920x1080p? I believe those are amazing benchmarks!
m
0
l
a c 466 4 Gaming
July 18, 2014 9:14:56 PM

None of those are Ultra except for FarCry3 which is 2 years old and VERY well coded.

Also, when most people talk about "running games at ultra" they mean locked at 60fps. Most people would rather play at high locked at 60fps than at an inconsistent 50fps with spikes.
m
0
l
!