Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

big problem with CPU,100% usage,overheating and slow computer while system is idile

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 18, 2014 9:48:57 AM

Hi all!
I need help with this issue and I will start by describing laptop I am having problem on.
I have very old fujitsu-simens amilo a1655g and it has it's own AMD processor sempron(mobile) 2800+ witch works perfectly no mater how old it is.
But since I like to upgrade my old stuff and have no money for new one I bought on ebay some components ....I bought 2GBs RAM (they work fine) and AMD athlon mobile processor 3200+ (2Ghz)

when I first put it in it seemed to work fine (the computer started up no problem) but proccesor was overheating and it said its usage was 100% although I didn't do a thing,
Next day I brought a thermal paste (MX-2 from artic) and put my laptop on cooling pad but nothing helps....system still says usage is 100% although I do nothing

I flashed BIOS and tried to reinstall windows,but when it gets to installation part it chruses even before I get any option...I tried it with ubuntu as well but it won't even let it get to installation part

What is happening here ? is it possible that proccesor is not working although it can start PC ?
July 18, 2014 9:58:10 AM

I have two hypothesis: 1) the chipset is not compatible with the new processor, 2) the BIOS is not up to date.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 18, 2014 11:19:19 AM

vinskamuha said:
Hi all!
I need help with this issue and I will start by describing laptop I am having problem on.
I have very old fujitsu-simens amilo a1655g and it has it's own AMD processor sempron(mobile) 2800+ witch works perfectly no mater how old it is.
But since I like to upgrade my old stuff and have no money for new one I bought on ebay some components ....I bought 2GBs RAM (they work fine) and AMD athlon mobile processor 3200+ (2Ghz)

when I first put it in it seemed to work fine (the computer started up no problem) but proccesor was overheating and it said its usage was 100% although I didn't do a thing,
Next day I brought a thermal paste (MX-2 from artic) and put my laptop on cooling pad but nothing helps....system still says usage is 100% although I do nothing

I flashed BIOS and tried to reinstall windows,but when it gets to installation part it chruses even before I get any option...I tried it with ubuntu as well but it won't even let it get to installation part

What is happening here ? is it possible that proccesor is not working although it can start PC ?


I would suggest an alternative - buy a new i3 laptop from Dell for $249. Life's too short to spend time on trying to fix that Frankenstein.
Share
July 18, 2014 11:56:24 AM

StoneKany said:
I have two hypothesis: 1) the chipset is not compatible with the new processor, 2) the BIOS is not up to date.


Yeah, I would think that the processor isn't compatible. Likely the voltage is too high on one of those pins.

vinskamuha, you could also try resetting your BIOS back to factory defaults, and then try reloading Windows. See if the processor is properly recognized in the BIOS.
m
0
l
July 19, 2014 2:45:33 AM

but the socket is correct :( 
and BIOS reads it fine...I mean it says it is AMD athlon 3200+ with 2GHZ

is there anyway to lower voltage or something?
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 9:06:27 AM

vinskamuha said:
but the socket is correct :( 
and BIOS reads it fine...I mean it says it is AMD athlon 3200+ with 2GHZ

is there anyway to lower voltage or something?


You would need BIOS options to do so. Since your original machine is so old and it's a corporate laptop (corporate BIOS versions usually don't have much custom options), I doubt you'll find anything in there.

So keep the memory, put the Sempron back in, and consider it a lesson that you learned in upgrading old computer equipment.
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 9:09:32 AM

Sounds like the cooling system is inadequate for that CPU.
m
0
l
July 22, 2014 5:03:09 AM

well I contacted costumer service....looks like best thing I can put in itis turion MT

thank you guys for your solutions
m
0
l
!