Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What GPU should I take?

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • GPUs
  • Games
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 18, 2014 10:25:53 AM

Hey everyone on Toms hardware in need your advice.
I have around 400-500 euros to spend on a GPU, so my question is :
What GPU should I take? I wanna play games like Arma 2/3 with enough FPS and the newest games with quality.
I would like to be a bit futureproof for the couple years.
I also want to use 3 monitors, only 1 is for gaming the other 2 are just for the fancy.
Hopefully you guys can help me.
Greetings Mauritius.

More about : gpu

July 18, 2014 10:33:33 AM

Specs...
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 10:34:11 AM

The r9 290/290x would be the best for your money in that area. Get one with a good aftermarket cooler and you'll be set.

But if your cpu/psu isn't something that would support it, it's pointless.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 18, 2014 10:40:45 AM

okcnaline said:
Specs...


GPU : Intel Core i7 4790K
PSU : Corsair CX 750M
SSD : Crucial MX100 256GB
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x 8gb @ 1600mhz
Motherboard : MSI Z97 GAMING 5
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST1000DM003, 1TB
GPU : ???

Thats it, I didnt buy it yet. I'm going to buy.
But keep in mind that I can still change everything.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 18, 2014 10:43:12 AM

My understanding is that arma 2/3 is not particularly graphics or cpu demanding.
Your budget should buy you a GTX780 of some sort. Perhaps the GTX780ti. I like EVGA for them.
Adding two side monitors to a GTX780 adds little load and will not affect your gaming.
You will want a decent quality 620w psu .
Share
July 18, 2014 10:45:35 AM

I now see your specs.
Looks good.
I might buy Seasonic or xfx for the psu for better quality.
Currently, I think Samsung evo or Intel might be the best ssd units.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 10:51:27 AM

geofelt said:
I now see your specs.
Looks good.
I might buy Seasonic or xfx for the psu for better quality.
Currently, I think Samsung evo or Intel might be the best ssd units.


So I should get a 780?

m
0
l
July 18, 2014 11:26:45 AM

Get a 290 and a AX1200i.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 11:27:42 AM

I second the r9 290, but i'm not sure why you would need a 1200w psu...
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 11:29:09 AM

For SLI the card. Well, then a AX760.
m
0
l
July 20, 2014 7:44:54 AM

Mauwie001 said:
geofelt said:
I now see your specs.
Looks good.
I might buy Seasonic or xfx for the psu for better quality.
Currently, I think Samsung evo or Intel might be the best ssd units.


So I should get a 780?


GTX780 is a fine card, and should be more than enough. Even at a higher resolution like 2560 x 1600.
I like the evga units with the titan stock blower style coolers. They get the heat directly out the back of your case.
Some like the R9 units which seem to do well in synthetic benchmarks. But reading the reviews of newegg owners, the dissatisfaction rate is considerably higher than the nvidia owners. R9 gets their speed from a standard high overclock, That makes them noisier and more power hungry.
GTX780 and R9-290 are in the same performance tier on tom's hierarchy list.
That means you can't tell the difference in performance in actual play; it takes a synthetic benchmark to tell.
Go to newegg and look at the feedback from verified owners of the GTX780 you pick and compare to the feedback from the R9 candidate. Look at what the zero egg feedback are saying.
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 9:27:58 AM

For verification, Mauwie001, do you plan on recording? If so, it's better to get a GTX 780. Or else, safe money for a proper Gigabyte WindForce R9 290 and a 80+ Platinum PSU (AX760i).
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 9:39:50 AM

you dont need a platinum rated psu, unless your running it 24/7. any quality xfx, seasonic, or corsair psu of 850W will be fine. (850 watts for sli/crossfire in the future)

i recommend getting either the sapphire tri-x 290, or a 780 with a better psu. if your playing at higher resolutions, go with the 290 because it scales better at higher resolutions then nvidia

EDIT: id reccomend this psu, xfx is very reliable, the psu itself made by seasonic, 80+ gold, fully modular, etc. not as expensive as other units either

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbef...

other options are:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-x850
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-hx850
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 11:34:39 AM

okcnaline said:
For verification, Mauwie001, do you plan on recording? If so, it's better to get a GTX 780. Or else, safe money for a proper Gigabyte WindForce R9 290 and a 80+ Platinum PSU (AX760i).


Yes, im going to record games.
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 11:34:59 AM

geofelt said:
Mauwie001 said:
geofelt said:
I now see your specs.
Looks good.
I might buy Seasonic or xfx for the psu for better quality.
Currently, I think Samsung evo or Intel might be the best ssd units.


So I should get a 780?


GTX780 is a fine card, and should be more than enough. Even at a higher resolution like 2560 x 1600.
I like the evga units with the titan stock blower style coolers. They get the heat directly out the back of your case.
Some like the R9 units which seem to do well in synthetic benchmarks. But reading the reviews of newegg owners, the dissatisfaction rate is considerably higher than the nvidia owners. R9 gets their speed from a standard high overclock, That makes them noisier and more power hungry.
GTX780 and R9-290 are in the same performance tier on tom's hierarchy list.
That means you can't tell the difference in performance in actual play; it takes a synthetic benchmark to tell.
Go to newegg and look at the feedback from verified owners of the GTX780 you pick and compare to the feedback from the R9 candidate. Look at what the zero egg feedback are saying.



Thanks!
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 11:42:35 AM

Thanks for the extra info. Get a GTX 780 Ti.
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 11:48:22 AM

I think the r9 290 + good psu is a more cost efficient set up. As for recording and what not, there are plenty of programs around that would have a lesser impact on your system. OBS is a fairly decent program to use, and AMD have something similar to nVidia's shadowplay anyways.
m
0
l
!