Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pentium G3220 + Radeon 5450 vs A6-6400k

Last response: in Components
Share
July 18, 2014 8:42:17 PM

Which one would be better for gaming and for future upgrades. I'm only going to play casual titles like Minecraft, Skyrim, Source Engine games, and Rust.
July 18, 2014 8:51:20 PM

... neither?

the pentium would be a bit better in some ways... but that gpu is hardly capable of gaming.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 8:51:46 PM

Probably the 6400k. You can get a better GPU later on as well with it. I wouldn't dump money into a sub-par Pentium CPU and GPU, leaving 2 components that will need to be upgraded when the time comes.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 18, 2014 8:57:04 PM

Iron124 said:
Probably the 6400k. You can get a better GPU later on as well with it. I wouldn't dump money into a sub-par Pentium CPU and GPU, leaving 2 components that will need to be upgraded when the time comes.


Pentium CPUs are not sub-par. I have a media computer built with an Ivy Bridge Pentium, and it's an extremely beastly little chip. For anything that can't take good advantage of 4 cores, it'll smack an A6 to the ground.

That being said, the investment should be made to get an anniversary addition Haswell Pentium that is unlocked and can overclock, which would let it be paired with more powerful graphics cards in the future, and would last longer.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 9:02:03 PM

DarkSable said:
Iron124 said:
Probably the 6400k. You can get a better GPU later on as well with it. I wouldn't dump money into a sub-par Pentium CPU and GPU, leaving 2 components that will need to be upgraded when the time comes.


Pentium CPUs are not sub-par. I have a media computer built with an Ivy Bridge Pentium, and it's an extremely beastly little chip. For anything that can't take good advantage of 4 cores, it'll smack an A6 to the ground.

That being said, the investment should be made to get an anniversary addition Haswell Pentium that is unlocked and can overclock, which would let it be paired with more powerful graphics cards in the future, and would last longer.


That Pentium's integrated graphics are horrendous. The A6, while not a beastly CPU by any means (It's $65, what do you expect?) would mop the floor with that Pentium in any gaming application. The 3258 would of course be a much better choice, but again that is a $75 CPU that would still require a dedicated GPU to be worth anything more than a light multimedia PC.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 9:12:04 PM

I'll clarify my answer. i simply will never advise anyone looking to build a "gaming" capable computer to get a dual core intel or quad core amd (or lower).

call me elitist. whatever. I use top of the line brand new computers, day in and day out... i use massive dual cpu xeon cored servers... i use it all, and i can certainly feel the performance drop on an i3 or lower intel, or a quad core or lower amd.

as for the OP's original question, that pentium + 5450 will be a slightly more capable system. only because that a6 is such a junky chip. but i wouldn't call either "gaming capable"
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 9:24:04 PM

ingtar33 said:
I'll clarify my answer. i simply will never advise anyone looking to build a "gaming" capable computer to get a dual core intel or quad core amd (or lower).

call me elitist. whatever. I use top of the line brand new computers, day in and day out... i use massive dual cpu xeon cored servers... i use it all, and i can certainly feel the performance drop on an i3 or lower intel, or a quad core or lower amd.

as for the OP's original question, that pentium + 5450 will be a slightly more capable system. only because that a6 is such a junky chip. but i wouldn't call either "gaming capable"


Sounds like a standpoint opinion honestly. When you have access to better and high-end hardware, you start to lose the appreciation for what a simple upgrade is, and how much of a difference it can actually make.

I'm currently on a Gateway with an AMD 9150e 1.8GHZ quad-core and running the integrated 256MB of onboard system video memory. I haven't played Minecraft in 3 months, mostly because it runs at 15-20FPS on the lowest settings, and will get down to 10 if there's too many entities. I'm building a new rig at the end of the summer, but anyway...

That A6 would be a godsend and smash this piece of crap. I'd probably get a whole 30 FPS on Normal render distance in Minecraft, wouldn't that be fantastic?

Basically what I'm saying is, don't hate on lower-end hardware, don't think of something as crap because it gets lower benchmarks than a Quad-Core i7. Price-to-performance is really what it comes down to, and the A6 would get better FPS than a standalone Pentium, and you could save up to get a slightly more decent GPU than the 5450 to pair with it eventually.
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 9:46:02 PM

Iron124 said:
ingtar33 said:
I'll clarify my answer. i simply will never advise anyone looking to build a "gaming" capable computer to get a dual core intel or quad core amd (or lower).

call me elitist. whatever. I use top of the line brand new computers, day in and day out... i use massive dual cpu xeon cored servers... i use it all, and i can certainly feel the performance drop on an i3 or lower intel, or a quad core or lower amd.

as for the OP's original question, that pentium + 5450 will be a slightly more capable system. only because that a6 is such a junky chip. but i wouldn't call either "gaming capable"


Sounds like a standpoint opinion honestly. When you have access to better and high-end hardware, you start to lose the appreciation for what a simple upgrade is, and how much of a difference it can actually make.

I'm currently on a Gateway with an AMD 9150e 1.8GHZ quad-core and running the integrated 256MB of onboard system video memory. I haven't played Minecraft in 3 months, mostly because it runs at 15-20FPS on the lowest settings, and will get down to 10 if there's too many entities. I'm building a new rig at the end of the summer, but anyway...

That A6 would be a godsend and smash this piece of crap. I'd probably get a whole 30 FPS on Normal render distance in Minecraft, wouldn't that be fantastic?

Basically what I'm saying is, don't hate on lower-end hardware, don't think of something as crap because it gets lower benchmarks than a Quad-Core i7. Price-to-performance is really what it comes down to, and the A6 would get better FPS than a standalone Pentium, and you could save up to get a slightly more decent GPU than the 5450 to pair with it eventually.


that's a fair opinion.

you'll note my personal rig actually uses a fx8320... it's not like i have a i7 either. That said what i do with a pc actually stressed quad core intels pretty badly, so i prefer a fx8320 with a bit of an overclock over say... an i5... as i can feel the droppoff on the i5.

if you're on an old Phx4 9150E you'll see a nice bump going up to that A6... though if you want a productive suggestion based on your implied budget?

look at saving a little more money and do this... (i know this is probably 80-120 outside your expected budget, but the incredible leap in actual performance will be worth every dime; furthermore, assuming you have a 400W psu you will not need a new psu for this build.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $354.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
m
0
l
July 18, 2014 10:24:47 PM

*I have already discussed this issue with Alexdiaz, and even built him a system which I believe was $430 including Windows 8.1 (I haven't got the link now). He contacted me and said THIS:

"I'm only going to be playing Minecraft and Source games (TF2, Gmod, left for dead, and Half life). It's not playing any demanding games, only casual titles. I won't get a dGPU until next year so will use the iGPU for a while."

**So I'm a little confused on what's going on. He said he wouldn't play ANY demanding games yet now mentions Skyrim and Rust.

I also told him he absolutely must give a BUDGET or else it's hard to give a recommendation. I already designed him a great budget system. I believe it had a G3258 CPU, 4GB DDR3, and R7-260X 2GB card. I probably said 8GB would be more ideal but he obviously has a small budget and 4GB is acceptable. The cost difference would be best spent elsewhere.

I even found an Asus H87 motherboard capable of overclocking the G3258 for a great price with a link to an article that tested that motherboard/CPU combo when overclocking. They got 4.8GHz I think but with a great cooler though he'd get lower with stock or a CM EVO cooler.


Alexdiaz,
I'm not sure how much you paid attention to my build but the G3220 is not overclockable. The G3258 for not much more is. This is very significant for a dual-core CPU (FYI, the G3258 beats the X4-760K on average despite half the cores. There's not a better CPU for the money). Also, the HD5450 is a total crap card for playing most games. It barely plays Torchlight at acceptable quality. You just don't put a $30 graphics card in a $400 gaming rig (i.e. $300 for hardware and almost $100 for Windows 8.1 64-bit, plus Start8).

Maybe you can link your original post so people can look at the build and you can explain what your issue is with it. Is it a budget thing? Again, you still don't give a budget so I don't know how to help further.

At the budget I chose the parts I researched were probably the BEST performing you can get. The FX-6300 is no good at the budget I guess at because there's no money for good graphics, so again by not giving a budget people are just throwing builds at you and you are wasting people's time.

(I also discussed the issue with APU's having a graphics bottleneck if the DDR3 memory isn't fast enough.. I really can't recommend an APU unless the budget leaves no choice.)

I'm not trying to be rude, but you don't seem to "get it"; the question you need to ask is basically this (assuming a $400 budget):

"Please design me the best gaming system, including Windows, for $400"
m
1
l
!