im getting an r9 290 and an 15-4690 should i get a corsair 120m watercooler or a 120mm corsair fan

Solution
Not sure what you mean by "or a 120mm fan."

Do you mean liquid vs air cooler?

Also, unless there's a big price difference you should get the i5-4690K so you can overclock (requires an overclockable motherboard though).

Either way, the Noctua NH-U12S cooler is my recommendation. I just built a PC for my dad using the i5-4670K which runs slightly hotter and it's dead silent in normal operation (I know as it's sometimes the ONLY fan running in the entire computer). Under load it's not very loud especially if you weren't overclocking. I guarantee all liquid coolers are louder since the PUMP always runs, plus they fail more on average and your PC can't run without a pump.

Other:
For the R9-290 I strongly recommend the Sapphire Tri-X...
Not sure what you mean by "or a 120mm fan."

Do you mean liquid vs air cooler?

Also, unless there's a big price difference you should get the i5-4690K so you can overclock (requires an overclockable motherboard though).

Either way, the Noctua NH-U12S cooler is my recommendation. I just built a PC for my dad using the i5-4670K which runs slightly hotter and it's dead silent in normal operation (I know as it's sometimes the ONLY fan running in the entire computer). Under load it's not very loud especially if you weren't overclocking. I guarantee all liquid coolers are louder since the PUMP always runs, plus they fail more on average and your PC can't run without a pump.

Other:
For the R9-290 I strongly recommend the Sapphire Tri-X version. My second choice is the Asus OC version. I did a lot of research and some of them run too loud.

LINKS:
Sapphire R9-290 Tri-X: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003622sr

Noctua NH-U12S: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

(make sure the fan control software for the motherboard is installed and configured)

Solution

RobCherry

Reputable
May 18, 2014
hey, dont get liquid cooling, its far too loud like photonboy said above, and for the r9 290, i have the r9 290 tri-x version and its brill, runs alot lower temps and quieter than the earlier models.