R9 290 Vapor-X OC / R9 290X Tri-X

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Currently stuck choosing between these 2 cards. I want a upgrade really soon and was looking between these two cards. I can't seem to find comparison between the two card makers on the internet and was wondering if anyone here could give me some pointers. The 290X is slightly more expensive, £35, more than the Vapor-X but, like i said, i can't find a performance comparison between the two as the Vapor-X is overclocked where the Tri-X is not.

Can anyone who has, or does have, these cards give some pointers? Ta.

Scampi

Reputable
May 26, 2014
The R9 290 performs similarly to the GTX 780. The R9 290X perfroms between the GTX 780 & GTX 780 Ti. So the 290X is a bit faster, that's why it's more money.

The out the box overclock on the Tri-X OC which is shown here, isn't massively different from the non OC version. So it pretty much boils down to....is that extra £35 worth it to you ?

perfrel.gif

Couple of points:
The Tri-X looks to be the best cooler for the Hawaii cards, rivalled only by the MSI Lightning but both are VERY large, be very sure one will fit the system case before making a purchase.
You could always overclock the R9 290X Tri-X and leave the factory overclocked (and hotter and noiser) Vapour-X card choking in its pixel dust. ;)
If I had the option of only paying an extra £35 for a faster card with a better cooler I'd already have it on its way. (but then again my rig neither needs nor would really support such a fire breathing, pixel smashing, game dominating card).
Sob. :(

marooner

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
It's your choice.
The Vapor-X is a 10-15% better cooler than the Tri-X, but some argue that it is not worth the price premium. Both cards overclock well, so the factory overclock difference is negligible. The Vapor-X probably overclocks better, due to its superior cooler.

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Yep I already have a E-ATX mobo with CoolerMaster HAF-X case so there's plenty of room for anything to fit in there. I guess I'm going to splash the Extra £35-40 on the Tri-X.

thanks all.