FX-8320 started overheating

kylepont

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
My FX-8320 was doing just fine this morning and in the seven months before that. Temperatures would max at 45-50, idle at 25. Today I got a new GPU, switched from a Zotac nvidia GTX 650Ti to a Sapphire Dual-X AMD Radeon R9 270X. In the installation of drivers and such (which was probably rather strenuous) again, it was fine.

Now that the drivers and utility programs have been installed, the CPU is now idling at 30 (when absolutely nothing is happening) and reached 70 just while I was typing this. On three instances when the CPU is doing some heavy work now (playing Dota 2, trying to install CS:GO etc) the screen will freeze, and will emit a buzzing noise (likely a loop of the sound it was producing in the last 10ms or so). I have since hoovered out the computer and cleared the dust filters and although it hasn't done that again, and the temperatures have dropped by around five or so, they are still alarming.

One thing that I've noticed is that the minimum clock has changed from around 350 to 1350, which appears to be a feature of the Catalyst control centre (it won't let me put the minimum clock below 40% of the maximum). Does anyone think that this could be a factor, and if so how do I over-ride it? And is there anything else that could be a factor and how would I fix it?

Edit: Specs might be helpful

AMD FX-8320, stock cooler
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X
2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 motherboard
Corsair CX500M PSU
CIT Vantage case

what is your case and what is the cooler clearance of your case?...hyper 212 evo is 158 mm in height if it dosent fit then you can go for hyper t3x evo which i am sure will fit

kylepont

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

My case is that: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-Vantage-Gaming-Audio-Reader/dp/B0071KZNUY

Gonna grab a tape measure, I'll edit it in. I'm sure I saw somebody else on this forum say that the 212 evo doesn't fit in this exact case.

Edit: 14.5cm. But I repeat an earlier question, is there a way I can push the minimum clock of cores down again, because I'm sure that's a large factor in the new overheating problem.

Temp fix, just underclocked the max clock from 3.5 to 2.9 and turned the AMD turbo boost off. Maximum temperature is now around 45.

TRENDING THREADS