Can 2005 PC Be Upgraded and Run New Games?

LilJimmyYo

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
There is a video I saw where a person is running Battlefield 4 with a Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor at 2.5Ghz. So I wondered if my old PC can be upgraded here and there and run a couple of games. Here are old PC specs:

Intel Pentium D Processor 820 at 2.80Ghz
Intel Desktop Board D945GCZ
3GB of DDR2

So what graphics card should I get? What else should/can upgrade?

Thanks
~Jimmy

Solution

On a practical level, you'd need to make so many upgrades that you're better off with a new one. You'd need a CPU. And a motherboard that could run that CPU. And RAM that runs on the motherboard. And a new GPU. And given that its now a decade old, you'll almost certainly need a new PSU. At that point, you've already built most of a new PC...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

On a practical level, you'd need to make so many upgrades that you're better off with a new one. You'd need a CPU. And a motherboard that could run that CPU. And RAM that runs on the motherboard. And a new GPU. And given that its now a decade old, you'll almost certainly need a new PSU. At that point, you've already built most of a new PC except for the case and the hard drive.

It's likely the video you saw was of someone just managing to get it to play on a Pentium E-5200 (that was at 2.5 Ghz) that was a CPU 3 or 4 years newer than yours. Intel kept using the "Pentium Dual-Core" name until 4-5 years ago.

Solution