R9 290 DD blackscreen crashes with occasional BSOD

CaesarSalad

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
I recently bought an xfx r9 290 card after upgrading from an nvidia card. For the first couple weeks after installing it everything was fine. Now I get frequent blackscreen crashes where my only option is to reboot the system.These crashes occur frequently in specific games like the new wolfenstein and sleeping dogs, but they also occur when I am just browsing the web. I also get an occasional bluescreen but it isn't as frequent. I downloaded furmark, and if I do a burn in test I consistently get a blackscreen crash doing the burn in test at around 90 degrees celsius. The first week I had my card it would reach a maximum of 94 degrees celsius during full load and experience no issues. What should I do? here are my specs

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

CPU: Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket LGA 1155 Boxed Processor

Graphics: XFX R9 290 DD edition

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active

Storage: 1 TB WD Caviar & 120 GB Kingston SSD

Solution
Actual draw is less, that is hy it works with the total v12 of 40 amps you psu has. When your card kicks in during games, it will draw closer to the 48 amps recommended, thus the black screens and crashes.

CaesarSalad

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
I reinstalled windows 7 and that appears to have solved the blue screen issue, however I still get blackscreen crashes in furmark. I removed the cover of the case and used a desktop fan and was able to make it through 20 minutes of furmark with a steady temperature of 80 deg C however after exiting the test I got a blackscreen crash again. Without removing the cover and using a desk fan furmark blackscreens during the test after about 2 minutes around 87 deg C. The manufacturers website says normal operating temperature is 30-95 deg C

CaesarSalad

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

I've been told that the actual draw of the card is much less than the recommended amount. Is there anyway to test that the power supply is causing the problem before I go out and buy a new one? I've managed to prevent the crashes by opening my case and using a fan to blow onto the card while gaming which leads me to believe it is a thermal problem and not a power supply problem.

Since it is a modular power supply could I simply buy a new one and use keep everything plugged in and just remove the box? would this psu be sufficient?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151132&cm_re=seasonic_psu-_-17-151-132-_-Product

Embra

Distinguished
Actual draw is less, that is hy it works with the total v12 of 40 amps you psu has. When your card kicks in during games, it will draw closer to the 48 amps recommended, thus the black screens and crashes.

Solution

CaesarSalad

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Yes. I have one six pin and and on 6+2 pin plugged into the card.

CaesarSalad

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

I'm going to pick up one of these today and test things out. I'll update when I get the chance. Is it ok to leave the 520W psu plugged into everything and just plug in the 750W into the graphics card to test things out?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/406089/CX_Series_CX750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

Embra

Distinguished

It is, but you will want to see how it does with everything connected since your system runs until you add load to the GPU. The PSU you linked will work, but the EVGA is better. Low end corsair are not made as well and may be fine, but over time you will see more failures.

They also have the EVGA at Microcenter if you prefer: w/$20 rebate http://www.microcenter.com/product/433612/SuperNOVA_750_750W_Watt_Bronze_ATX_12V_Power_Supply

CaesarSalad

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

I disconnected just the 2 graphics card cables and plugged in the 750W psu into the card while leaving the rest of the system hooked up to the 520W. The computer turned on but I got no display and the 750W psu fan didn't start spinning. Does the 750W psu need to be plugged into the mobo to work?