Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

New build, £300 budget, which GPU do I get?

Tags:
  • GPUs
  • New Build
Last response: in Graphics Cards
July 21, 2014 4:05:37 AM

Hey everyone, building a PC for my sister, she has a budget of £300 including monitor, keyboard etc so trying to keep the key components down to about £240ish. She won't be doing anything intensive on it with the exception of wanting to play Sims 4.

At these price ranges I'm sure AMD will be better value for money so I was thinking of using an AMD A6-6400k with a Radeon HD 6450 in dual grahics set up.

I know the performance will be atrocious but you get what you pay for.

Anyone know if this will be good enough to play Sims 4? Or can they suggest a better alternative for the price?

More about : build 300 budget gpu

July 21, 2014 4:23:22 AM

I would get an FX 4xxx series CPU and a slightly better GPU, not sure what the budget is for CPU/Motherboard and graphics card, what is it for those three?
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 4:51:06 AM

Hmmm around £100, £120 maximum. I don't know much about AMD CPU or low end GPU to be honest, I'm more familiar with intel and nvidia
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 21, 2014 7:18:34 AM

These are the cheapest I can make that are still fairly decent on PCPartPicker.

Intel: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wbCvdC The Pentium is overclockable which I why I chose the Z97 motherboard. You can probably get away with stock clock speeds but later you can squeeze more juice out of it.

AMD APU: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/y6qXJx You should be OK with integrated graphics on low settings but anything "fancy" you'll want a separate GPU

AMD: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/87pJgs no point getting the 4 core FX chip when the 6 core one is only slightly more expensive.

Have you considered getting a pre-made PC? At your price point the cost of Windows is a huge part of the total cost when building your own. OEM's get a much better deal on Windows so you can get better hardware. I'd consider one of these, you can use the i3's integrated graphics on low and then save and add an R7 250X or 750 Ti later (though you will probably also want to spend a bit on a new PSU too).

http://www.ebuyer.com/657061-exdisplay-zoostorm-desktop...

http://www.ebuyer.com/643321-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8...

http://www.ebuyer.com/644858-zoostorm-desktop-pc-bing-7...
Share
July 21, 2014 7:51:02 AM

plywrlw said:
These are the cheapest I can make that are still fairly decent on PCPartPicker.

Intel: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wbCvdC The Pentium is overclockable which I why I chose the Z97 motherboard. You can probably get away with stock clock speeds but later you can squeeze more juice out of it.

AMD APU: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/y6qXJx You should be OK with integrated graphics on low settings but anything "fancy" you'll want a separate GPU

AMD: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/87pJgs no point getting the 4 core FX chip when the 6 core one is only slightly more expensive.

Have you considered getting a pre-made PC? At your price point the cost of Windows is a huge part of the total cost when building your own. OEM's get a much better deal on Windows so you can get better hardware. I'd consider one of these, you can use the i3's integrated graphics on low and then save and add an R7 250X or 750 Ti later (though you will probably also want to spend a bit on a new PSU too).

http://www.ebuyer.com/657061-exdisplay-zoostorm-desktop...

http://www.ebuyer.com/643321-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8...

http://www.ebuyer.com/644858-zoostorm-desktop-pc-bing-7...


Thanks, thats really helpful. We have a windows key spare so I wasn't going to factor that into the cost, I have been looking at some of the pre made PC's but can't see anything that stands out as better value.

I understand that at this price fancy graphics is totally out the question, it just needs to be capable of running sims 4 on low settings at 1080p. I've never had much luck running anything on integrated graphics, even on low. I know it's supposed to have picked up over the last few years but I kinda don't trust it.

I've not overclocked before so probably wouldn't want to risk doing it first time on my sisters PC, if it was my own it would be a different story.

Thanks for the links though man, really useful
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 7:54:53 AM

plywrlw said:
Intel: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wbCvdC The Pentium is overclockable which I why I chose the Z97 motherboard. You can probably get away with stock clock speeds but later you can squeeze more juice out of it.


What do you mean 'later'? That mobo will OC with the push of a button and the G3258 OCs like a beast even with the stock cooler :D 

But yeah on a £240 budget it's super tight...
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 7:55:03 AM

No problem. If it was me I'd go for the AMD 6300 build, it has the most "out of the box" performance in my opinion.

Good luck deciding, there are loads of guides online to overclocking the G3258 Pentium and the FX 6300 but I totally understand your apprehension. There's also a fair few reviews of the APU I linked to running some recent games but as the Sims 4 is yet to be released it's tricky trying to predict the future!

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 7:57:00 AM

LucoTF said:
plywrlw said:
Intel: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wbCvdC The Pentium is overclockable which I why I chose the Z97 motherboard. You can probably get away with stock clock speeds but later you can squeeze more juice out of it.


What do you mean 'later'? That mobo will OC with the push of a button and the G3258 OCs like a beast even with the stock cooler :D 

But yeah on a £240 budget it's super tight...


LucoTF I said "later" because he's apprehensive about OC'ing. It becomes more appealing when the only other option is to buy new parts anyway!

m
0
l
July 21, 2014 8:34:52 AM

plywrlw said:
LucoTF I said "later" because he's apprehensive about OC'ing. It becomes more appealing when the only other option is to buy new parts anyway!


I understand. It really is the push of a button though - open bios, push 'OC genie', voila 30% boost

I agree that the FX-6300 build is the most appealing, and that on such a low budget prebuilt with an OS is definitely worth a look
m
0
l