Solved

Graphics Card Compatibility

I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff so i just want to know if the Graphics card that i want to buy is compatible to my motherboard. If not, what is the latest graphics card can i grab or maybe an ideal motherboard to put the Graphics card that i want to get.

My Motherboard - GA-H67MA-USB3-B3

the Graphics card i want is - Radeon R9 280X

Appreciate the help.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card compatibility
  1. Yes, the graphics card will fit.

    But, whether or not your power supply will support the power hungry r9 280x, and whether or not your processor will bottleneck that card, are questions themselves! Supply us with your power supply and processor specs, and we can tell you!
  2. For power supply i got - VIOTEK PRO 850W

    For specs. I dont know if this is the one you're asking for, but its. Intel core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) 3.3GHz
    If thats not the one, can you guide me on how to find it.
  3. Best answer
    Genso14 said:
    For power supply i got - VIOTEK PRO 850W

    For specs. I dont know if this is the one you're asking for, but its. Intel core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) 3.3GHz
    If thats not the one, can you guide me on how to find it.


    Yup, that's the info!

    Your PSU will hold up more than well enough, and your CPU shouldn't bottleneck you much if at all. You're good to go!
  4. KyleADunn said:
    Genso14 said:
    For power supply i got - VIOTEK PRO 850W

    For specs. I dont know if this is the one you're asking for, but its. Intel core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) 3.3GHz
    If thats not the one, can you guide me on how to find it.


    Yup, that's the info!

    Your PSU will hold up more than well enough, and your CPU shouldn't bottleneck you much if at all. You're good to go!


    oh. thanks for the help. but if you don't mind i actually got the main issue. I already got the Graphics card, but i keep getting an error while installing the AMD-catalyst, it keeps saying -Install Package failure-. thought maybe it's not compatible but as you said, it is. I've been checking answer for it here and there like installing Visual C++ and such but no luck. do you have any idea on what the problem can be?
    checked
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1875663/amd-catalyst-drivers-installing-application-install-install-package-failure.html
    and many more. still no luck
  5. maybe i should just make another thread about it. just for the reason that my next question is out of the topic and basically this topic has been solved.
    so sir KyleADunn thank you for helping me out. i appreciate it
  6. Genso14 said:
    KyleADunn said:
    Genso14 said:
    For power supply i got - VIOTEK PRO 850W

    For specs. I dont know if this is the one you're asking for, but its. Intel core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) 3.3GHz
    If thats not the one, can you guide me on how to find it.


    Yup, that's the info!

    Your PSU will hold up more than well enough, and your CPU shouldn't bottleneck you much if at all. You're good to go!


    oh. thanks for the help. but if you don't mind i actually got the main issue. I already got the Graphics card, but i keep getting an error while installing the AMD-catalyst, it keeps saying -Install Package failure-. thought maybe it's not compatible but as you said, it is. I've been checking answer for it here and there like installing Visual C++ and such but no luck. do you have any idea on what the problem can be?
    checked
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1875663/amd-catalyst-drivers-installing-application-install-install-package-failure.html
    and many more. still no luck


    Well that's no good. Have you gone and uninstalled the old video card's drivers (if you had one) and downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD website? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx
  7. KyleADunn said:
    Genso14 said:
    KyleADunn said:
    Genso14 said:
    For power supply i got - VIOTEK PRO 850W

    For specs. I dont know if this is the one you're asking for, but its. Intel core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) 3.3GHz
    If thats not the one, can you guide me on how to find it.


    Yup, that's the info!

    Your PSU will hold up more than well enough, and your CPU shouldn't bottleneck you much if at all. You're good to go!


    oh. thanks for the help. but if you don't mind i actually got the main issue. I already got the Graphics card, but i keep getting an error while installing the AMD-catalyst, it keeps saying -Install Package failure-. thought maybe it's not compatible but as you said, it is. I've been checking answer for it here and there like installing Visual C++ and such but no luck. do you have any idea on what the problem can be?
    checked
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1875663/amd-catalyst-drivers-installing-application-install-install-package-failure.html
    and many more. still no luck


    Well that's no good. Have you gone and uninstalled the old video card's drivers (if you had one) and downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD website? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx


    no i just got the built in one which is - intel(R) HD graphics. But yeah i did try to uninstall it. it's just going in Device Manager>Display Adapter>uninstall right? then uninstall. but before all that. the thing is i don't think my motherboard is reading the graphics card at all. because after installing the graphics card. i put the monitor cable directly to the graphics card turn on my comp and there, nothing will pop up as if my new Graphics Card is not working. i just bought it a week ago. i don't know if i did something wrong in the installation or something. i'm just frustrated that i can't get it working and other people didn't even had any issue's with it
  8. Genso14 said:
    KyleADunn said:
    Genso14 said:
    KyleADunn said:
    Genso14 said:
    For power supply i got - VIOTEK PRO 850W

    For specs. I dont know if this is the one you're asking for, but its. Intel core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz (4 CPUs) 3.3GHz
    If thats not the one, can you guide me on how to find it.


    Yup, that's the info!

    Your PSU will hold up more than well enough, and your CPU shouldn't bottleneck you much if at all. You're good to go!


    oh. thanks for the help. but if you don't mind i actually got the main issue. I already got the Graphics card, but i keep getting an error while installing the AMD-catalyst, it keeps saying -Install Package failure-. thought maybe it's not compatible but as you said, it is. I've been checking answer for it here and there like installing Visual C++ and such but no luck. do you have any idea on what the problem can be?
    checked
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1875663/amd-catalyst-drivers-installing-application-install-install-package-failure.html
    and many more. still no luck


    Well that's no good. Have you gone and uninstalled the old video card's drivers (if you had one) and downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD website? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx


    no i just got the built in one which is - intel(R) HD graphics. But yeah i did try to uninstall it. it's just going in Device Manager>Display Adapter>uninstall right? then uninstall. but before all that. the thing is i don't think my motherboard is reading the graphics card at all. because after installing the graphics card. i put the monitor cable directly to the graphics card turn on my comp and there, nothing will pop up as if my new Graphics Card is not working. i just bought it a week ago. i don't know if i did something wrong in the installation or something. i'm just frustrated that i can't get it working and other people didn't even had any issue's with it


    Yeah, that'd be best. Post a link to the new thread!

    And my first troubleshooting step would be a complete power cycle / reseat of the GPU.

    1. Unplug system and ground yourself
    2. Disconnect the GPU's power connectors
    3. Remove the GPU from its socket
    4. Put the GPU back into the socket and plug it back in
    5. Plug system in and see if issue persists

    See you on the new topic
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Motherboards