Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will my PSU be able to handle this graphics card until i upgrade it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 21, 2014 2:01:06 PM

I have a Logisys 550W power supply. It says on the box +12V = 25A , -12V=0.8A. My GTX 550 Ti requries a 400W with 24 Amps on the 12V rail... can i use this graphics card right now until i get my new power supply?

More about : psu handle graphics card upgrade

July 21, 2014 2:02:35 PM

That is too tight. I'd not do it.
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 2:07:13 PM

So wait until I get my new Corsair PSU?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 21, 2014 2:10:17 PM

Logisys=garbage I wouldn't use it.
m
0
l
July 21, 2014 2:45:14 PM

Xmattman13X said:
I have a Logisys 550W power supply. It says on the box +12V = 25A , -12V=0.8A. My GTX 550 Ti requries a 400W with 24 Amps on the 12V rail... can i use this graphics card right now until i get my new power supply?


The 550ti does not require that much power. It requires about 10-12 Amps, but your CPU will also need 6-12 Amps depending on what you have, so your whole system needs about 24 Amps on the 12v rail.

Regardless of what I just said, everyone else who has answered is right. You should get a new PSU. Logisys power supplies are often very low quality and I would avoid running most video cards on them.
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 7:24:53 AM

Alright.. So if I get a CX Series™ Modular CX600M ATX Power Supply, will I be able to take on this GTX 550 Ti? And in the future if I wanted to SLI another gtx 550 ti with it.. Could I? Its got a total of 48 Amps on dual 12V rails I believe.
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 7:31:36 AM

For sli I would go over 600w. But I would recommend upgrading to a newer card over adding another 550 ti.
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 7:44:54 AM

The Corsair CX Series of power supplies isn't the best to be brutally honest. It's only Tier 3 on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1804779/power-...

I would suggest a Seasonic G-Series 650W PSU.

Which country are you currently in? And what is your budget for a new PSU?
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 10:03:20 AM

CGurrell said:
The Corsair CX Series of power supplies isn't the best to be brutally honest. It's only Tier 3 on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1804779/power-...

I would suggest a Seasonic G-Series 650W PSU.

Which country are you currently in? And what is your budget for a new PSU?


Tier three - Meets standard ATX specifications, though closer to the edges than Tier two units. These are still solid units, which still supply stable power to your system, though not ideal for serious overclocking


It's "good enough.
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 10:08:25 AM

Karsten75 said:
CGurrell said:
The Corsair CX Series of power supplies isn't the best to be brutally honest. It's only Tier 3 on http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1804779/power-...

I would suggest a Seasonic G-Series 650W PSU.

Which country are you currently in? And what is your budget for a new PSU?


Tier three - Meets standard ATX specifications, though closer to the edges than Tier two units. These are still solid units, which still supply stable power to your system, though not ideal for serious overclocking


It's "good enough.


I didn't say it wasn't good enough lol, I just think there are better PSUs out there which will last a lot longer. Who's to say Matt won't be reusing this part in a new build in the future with an unlocked chip and compatible OC ready motherboard?
m
0
l
!