What is causing computer lag/slowdown

Hello! My pc is ~3 months old and has slowed down for a lot in this time period. The parts are:

Cpu: intel core i5 3330 3.0 Ghz
Gpu: geforce gt 630 2gb
Motherboard: Msi b75ma-e33
PSU: SP1602B-420W-E1
Ram: 4Gb DDR3 single-channel, DRAM frequency 798.1 Mhz
HDD: Seagate ST3500312CS
Cooling : unknown
monitor resolution: 1400x900

The slowdown appears when minimizing/maximizing windows, opening/closing windows, opening chrome browser etc. I've also spotted it in a game: Assassin's creed ,on highest settings. Ikr, my system is not a beast but atleast assassin's creed should run normally don't you think so? The most interesting thing is that it's getting worse. I've played Bioshock infinite on medium settings with solid 60 fps, both metro games on lowest settings.

What I've done so far:

Disk defragmentation
Disk error-check (both with pre-isntalled windows software and seatools)
Antivirus full scan with : Avast premier trial and Avira free antivirus , both up-to-date
Display drivers' update : 337.88
Windows Aero effect: off

But .. nothing helped. Almost an hour ago my pc lagged again when i was installing a game, using google chrome, running Avira antivirus, KDWIN, Skype, Intel smart connect tech in background. The problem could be with a serious malware, cause I'm installing lots of cracked software/games, but it just can't cause this much lag, right?.

I can give you Gpu-z, Cpu-z screenshots , Hdtune screenshots with 2 latest checks ,msconfig screenshots, registry screenshots, other software check screenshots needed to solve the issue.

I would be glad if anyone helped me out. Thank you in advance :).

P.S. sorry if i've chosen the wrong category. If it''s the wrong, and if you'd tell me which is the right one, it would also help me a lot.
17 answers Last reply
More about causing computer lag slowdown
  1. Try running a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware (https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/)
    This could remove malware or PUPs that are slowing your system down.
  2. 1. you need 8gb ram

    2. you need a gtx750ti

    3. you need a better power supply eg Seasonic 520

    4. if the cpu is getting hot - over 35C idle and 50C gaming - then that will slow it down
  3. i7Baby said:
    1. you need 8gb ram

    2. you need a gtx750ti

    3. you need a better power supply eg Seasonic 520

    4. if the cpu is getting hot - over 35C idle and 50C gaming - then that will slow it down


    1. My computer functioned fine on 4GB of RAM for gaming and video editing for 3 years from when I first built it till I upgraded it.

    2. The graphics card is a user's choice, and shouldn't affect performance with non-demanding applications (e.g: browsing the web, writing a document).

    3. My computer ran on a 400w power supply. It worked fine. Despite what you may believe, a loud and cheap powersupply with enough wattage will work fine.

    4. Correct :)
  4. 1. The OP said "The slowdown appears when minimizing/maximizing windows, opening/closing windows, opening chrome browser etc." - he needs more ram

    2.The weaker the graphics card, the lower the fps and more susceptible to bigger variations in fps
    http://versus.com/en/gigabyte-geforce-gt-630-2gb-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti - the gtx750ti is vastly better than the gt630

    3. Good reliable power supplies are in tiers 1, 2a and 2b of http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

    No-one should advocate the use of cheap crappy power supplies. You'll be responsible for house fires!
  5. i7Baby said:
    1. The OP said "The slowdown appears when minimizing/maximizing windows, opening/closing windows, opening chrome browser etc." - he needs more ram

    2.The weaker the graphics card, the lower the fps and more susceptible to bigger variations in fps
    http://versus.com/en/gigabyte-geforce-gt-630-2gb-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti - the gtx750ti is vastly better than the gt630

    3. Good reliable power supplies are in tiers 1, 2a and 2b of http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

    No-one should advocate the use of cheap crappy power supplies. You'll be responsible for house fires!


    The pc is new so i can't buy any new parts ( I didn't know what to choose when buying, so got some crappy parts :/). But the thing is that 4gb ram must run Windows normally at least. The startup takes tooo long though i don't have anything except antivirus/skype/intel smart connect tech/KDWIN.The same programms run in the background while i can't even minimize windows normally.Isn't this a problem , rather then not enough ram? My friend's pc with the same 4gb ram and 9800gt runs smoother with higher resolution with no boosters/overclocks.So i'd like to know what's the problem and not just go and buy some more stuff.Sorry if i sound rude... but can't run assassin's creed after sucessfully running metro last light with the same gpu? How?

    Jakku I've done a scan with Malwarebytes: it found some files and moved them to quarantine. But seems like it didn't help too.

    Edit to the first message: System idle process is 85-99% with chrome open.
    I've also done adwcleaner scan, and have cleaned all it found.
    The problem has become even worse this week: I've downloaded assassin's creed 1 and 2 this week (cracked) so the problem might be a malware.

    And about the PSU, i'm not overusing it right now so it won't burn itself.

    And still ,thanks for the answers.
  6. TheRedFox said:
    i7Baby said:
    1. The OP said "The slowdown appears when minimizing/maximizing windows, opening/closing windows, opening chrome browser etc." - he needs more ram

    2.The weaker the graphics card, the lower the fps and more susceptible to bigger variations in fps
    http://versus.com/en/gigabyte-geforce-gt-630-2gb-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti - the gtx750ti is vastly better than the gt630

    3. Good reliable power supplies are in tiers 1, 2a and 2b of http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

    No-one should advocate the use of cheap crappy power supplies. You'll be responsible for house fires!


    The pc is new so i can't buy any new parts ( I didn't know what to choose when buying, so got some crappy parts :/). But the thing is that 4gb ram must run Windows normally at least. The startup takes tooo long though i don't have anything except antivirus/skype/intel smart connect tech/KDWIN.The same programms run in the background while i can't even minimize windows normally.Isn't this a problem , rather then not enough ram? My friend's pc with the same 4gb ram and 9800gt runs smoother with higher resolution with no boosters/overclocks.So i'd like to know what's the problem and not just go and buy some more stuff.Sorry if i sound rude... but can't run assassin's creed after sucessfully running metro last light with the same gpu? How?

    Jakku I've done a scan with Malwarebytes: it found some files and moved them to quarantine. But seems like it didn't help too.

    Edit to the first message: System idle process is 85-99% with chrome open.
    I've also done adwcleaner scan, and have cleaned all it found.
    The problem has become even worse this week: I've downloaded assassin's creed 1 and 2 this week (cracked) so the problem might be a malware.

    And about the PSU, i'm not overusing it right now so it won't burn itself.

    And still ,thanks for the answers.




    Re-reading your first post, you shouldn't be running two anti-viruses at the same time (Malwarebytes doesn't count) as this can slow down the system.
  7. i7Baby said:

    Re-reading your first post, you shouldn't be running two anti-viruses at the same time (Malwarebytes doesn't count) as this can slow down the system.


    I've used them in turn: installed avast , did a full scan, uninstalled after 30 days trial.
    installed avira, now running avira.

    And by the way, i have 2/3 free space on both of hard drives.I wasn't able to check cpu temperature though with cpu-z, because couldn't find where is it written :P .
  8. AC4 - http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=6805&game=Assassins%20Creed%204%20Black%20Flag - as you can see, you'll need 4gb for it. If you only have 4gb and 3 of it is aleady taken up, you will have trouble playing ac4
  9. i7Baby said:
    AC4 - http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=6805&game=Assassins%20Creed%204%20Black%20Flag - as you can see, you'll need 4gb for it. If you only have 4gb and 3 of it is aleady taken up, you will have trouble playing ac4


    Believe me i won't even try installing ac4 (though minimal requirements are ok for me). There are plenty of other great games till my next( i hope better) pc uptade.
  10. Did this happen gradually and did games start to jitter (for example) or did it happen suddenly?
  11. Jakku said:
    Did this happen gradually and did games start to jitter (for example) or did it happen suddenly?


    I've noticed it since i've bought this pc and someone (the *good (being sarcastic :P)* person who had advised the parts) installed the windows for it. I tryed turning off aero and it really helped : http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2212292/system-good-run-windows-aero-slowing.html

    Just a month ago i started noticing the slow down again. And now it has become even worse. It seems like i'm running it on my old pentium 4 with 1gb ram :P. In games ... the first game i noticed lag in was assassin's creed. Idk maybe this gpu is really that bad that can't even run assassin's creed on ultra. Though it did run the 1st 2 bioshocks in ultra with 60 fps after a week of buying the pc.
  12. Have you had the computer from new and were all of the parts new?
  13. Jakku said:
    Have you had the computer from new and were all of the parts new?


    Yes, It's from a pc shop .Though idk ... maybe they sell used items in that shop, but that person is a trusted one i believe. Ikr he gave the wrong parts to me, but in this country for 500$ you simply can't find anything better. But he could just tell me that the parts aren't going to be that good , so i'd save a bit more more .
  14. It could be possible that your power supply is failing.
    Most likely though, a driver is causing havoc or something like that.
    I'd suggest backing up your files and reinstalling Windows.
    If that doesn't help, I'd start saving up for new parts.

    Further reading:
    http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7586_102-593586/why-is-my-high-end-pc-lagging-so-badly/
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/229703-45-help-computer-lags-crazy
    (I'd never reccomend running a registry cleaner as it can seriously mess up your computer)
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/how-to-get-rid-of-lag-guide#1
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45452

    If you need more help, come back! :D
  15. As I said "if the cpu is getting hot - over 35C idle and 50C gaming - then that will slow it down"

    What temps are you getting - from bios/uefi - for your cpu?
  16. Jakku said:
    It could be possible that your power supply is failing.
    Most likely though, a driver is causing havoc or something like that.
    I'd suggest backing up your files and reinstalling Windows.
    If that doesn't help, I'd start saving up for new parts.

    Further reading:
    http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7586_102-593586/why-is-my-high-end-pc-lagging-so-badly/
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/229703-45-help-computer-lags-crazy
    (I'd never reccomend running a registry cleaner as it can seriously mess up your computer)
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/how-to-get-rid-of-lag-guide#1
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45452

    If you need more help, come back! :D


    Thank you! I'll try to find a new PSU and GPU as soon as i can, though it will take some time. The thread is still open for ideas. Thank you Jakku and i7Baby for taking your time and good luck!
  17. Just did some reading, apparently a failing harddrive can also cause this sort of behaviour.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Lag Antivirus Disk Error