i7 920 - Temperature while gaming

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Hi I have had weird hanging issues but I didnt get a reply in another thread so I was ask individually instead of a bundle whats going on.

I am wondering while I play BF4 I get absolutely no lag. Runs perfect, then all of a sudden my PC will hang and either force restart or make me power off. my CPU temp was around 70-80 degrees, on stock cooling no overclocking also my GPU was about 70. Is this normal for a high intensive game like Battlefield ?

I seen people overclocking my CPU to like 4GHz no idea how mine runs at around 35-40 temp minimum on desktop.

Is this all normal as I am trying to eliminate what the problem is ?

My specs are:
Nvidia GTX EBGA Superclocked 770 4GB
920 i7 Stock clocks
12GB Ram
Windows 7/8.1
Big bang Xpower
750W.

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Would suck if GFX problem its new. Only had it since Xmas hardly used as don't go on PC as much. I could try cleaning fans on the gfx and make sure its all okay. But yeah it does get around 70-80 max if 80 on ultra BF4 but same time its really hot lately in my room. Small box room running semi powerful PC laptop charging and running. Already around 20odd degrees toom temp. Not getting much cool air also one of fans are blocked by table. Other blocks by wall that will be moved today.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Like i said - it's not a temperature problem. Have you wiped out the drivers, starting from fresh, and re-installed them?
You might be having a power issue also. If you're still having the problem after wiping the drivers - we can look at that. How many devices do you have plugged in and what is the brand of power supply that you have?

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
On phone so don't know how to reply sorry. Erm yeah I completely wiped my had and reinstalled windows last night tried win8 and 7. So clean install of everything mate.. I'll edit thus post and let you know on brand. Because I honestly don't know devices. Turtle beaches. Wireless nouse keyboard that's about it.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Another thing you can try is getting EVGA precision or MSI afterburner and reduce the clock speeds of the memory and core clock by about 10 percent. Play BF4 for a while. If you have no crash after reducing the clock speeds, then it could still be a power problem, but pointing more towards the graphics card being a problem. Let me know.

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

http://gyazo.com/9516e295e4ae633c5435b1fe96842e2d

Just installed precision shoiuld I change anything here?

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I'm not super familiar with precision. Try lowing that CPU clock offset and mem offset to see if that keeps it lower than factory. Those clocks should increase when you start playing a game.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Yeah there's a "Boost Clock" little grey arrow that we need to get lower than where it's at. Looks like it's around 1150. we want that down to like 1050 or so for a test. Same with mem - get that lower.

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

Okay what I done first was played game again with precision open and hwmonitor so I could see everything when it went off this is before any issues after two maps on BF4 ( loongest ive ever played normally 30 mins max )
b876775d628abf767eda197501cc2afd.png

one change I did, I noticed my graphics card was reaching around 86 degrees, and the fan was only running on auto at around 50 speed so just for the test I decided to up it myself and set the fan manually to 85 while I was playing Battlefield4 this lowered the temp to around 78-80 stable however it lasted over hour half longer than normal. Which was a lot better, next I will do as you said and lower the clocks...
however to me its a bit worrying that it was letting the temp get high without the fans going faster. because they work fine its a new card tbh hardly used it and other games dont cause issues its just bf4 and sometimes dayz ( never had a crash outside of last month ) with this card and ive used since xmas dayz

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Alright, so, it's starting to look like it might be a heat issue after all. 86 is getting high for that card. What you don't see in most video card monitoring software is the VRM (voltage regulator modules) temps. If you want, you could download GPU-Z and in the monitoring tab, you can click on the VRM1 and VRM2 so that it will show you the max temp. Do another test. I'm suspecting they're getting up to 100 degree's, in which case could be crashing the card.
BF4 uses the newest programming which utilizes new cards to their max. If the software isn't turning the fan speed up it might not think it's hot enough, or its designed to be "quiet" because after 50% the fan starts to get noisy. So you'd have to keep the fan speed up.
If you're VRM's are really hot and you have to have 85% fan to stay around 80 degrees (which isn't too hot btw) then you may have a bad airflow in the case. Try also doing a test when your case is wide open. Use GPU-z maybe with case closed and open, and also with the different fan speeds.
We'll get this figured out.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
if after all of this testing, all of the temps are within reason (less than 90 degrees) your card shouldn't crash like that from temp. So it where we need to see if it crashes at all when you lower the clock speeds.

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

I went around 20Mhz lower on both nothing changed.
Then i went on to try changing settings in game i went from Ultra/auto/high to medium my GPU temp went down by around 10degrees and cpu a little. However after 1 game it went off again.

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
So the computer just freezes and you have to shut it off?
How old is your power supply? Power issues cause problems just like this. It could still be the card, but if the card was "damaged" it likely wouldn't work at all.
These symptoms happen when you overclock too much, thats why we tested going lower.

There is a power setting on that software. Turn it down to something like 70%. Keep the game a medium settings as it will limit the cards speed because we're limiting the amount of power to give the card. Let me know what happens.
If it's still crashing - the power supply could just be finished - if it doesn't crash - you're sucking too much power out of the power supply.

Salter0151

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

Freezes and u have turn off. Sometimes resets on its own. I noticed my cpu is 50-60c on stock desktop gonna re do paste incase its causing issues... Power supply is very old yes. I will test tomorrow now as I have work tomorrow. I will lower power and keep settings on medium thanks for keep contuing to try helping me means a lot !