2400 C11 RAM with 1866 C10

Avi Bis

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I am building my new system and have got all the components necessary except for the RAM. My system so far is as follows -

Asrock Z87 Extreme4
i5 4670K
GSkill Ares F3-2400C11D-8GAB (2x4GB)
Asus R9 280X DC2 TOP
Samsung 840 EVO 128 GB
WD Green 2TB
Corsair H100i
Corsair RM750
Corsair Carbide 400R or Cooler Master N600.

Unfortunately the RAM is stuck in customs and might not get to me before next month. I am also waiting on the Cabinet, but that's not exactly that much of a problem. Shall I wait for the RAM to come or shall I just buy a Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 C10 kit that is readily available to me for now and set up my system instead of just sitting on the components and add the GSkill kit when it comes? If yes, then would there be a problem running different speeds? As I understand all will run at the speed of the slowest one.

Solution

By running the faster DIMMs at lower speeds and/or slower timings, you are effectively UNDER-clocking them.

If parts fail while under-clocked, they would most likely have failed even sooner at their more aggressively rated settings due to higher power and tighter margins.

How often do you hear about stuff failing specifically from under-clocking? Practically never.

InvalidError

Titan
You cannot run different DIMMs at different speeds or timings. Your memory will need to run at whatever the slowest DIMM of the bunch can bear and that may end up being 1866-10.

Also note that achieving higher clocks with more DIMMs installed is often more difficult - that's the reason why DDR4 dropped support for two DIMMs per channel altogether.

Avi Bis

Reputable
May 29, 2014

This doesn't really answer my question. I wanted to know if there would be a problem, as in, if the RAM modules will be damaged or just run at the speed of the slower one. Until the RAM arrives, I can't even test out the rest of the components, so if any of them is DOA, that would be a serious issue after the return date crosses. It would be another few weeks to get a replacement from the manufacturer.

InvalidError

Titan

By running the faster DIMMs at lower speeds and/or slower timings, you are effectively UNDER-clocking them.

If parts fail while under-clocked, they would most likely have failed even sooner at their more aggressively rated settings due to higher power and tighter margins.

How often do you hear about stuff failing specifically from under-clocking? Practically never.

Solution