[SOLVED] 2009 Macbook Pro C2D 2.66 GHz or 2011 MacMini i5 2.3 GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to pick up a Mac. I have tried the Hackintosh route, but it is too much trouble for me and I really need a reliable system for work and school. So, this is what I can do:

I can trade my Xbox One w/Kinect + $100 for this:

MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacbookPro 5,1 - A1286
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz
STORAGE: 1TB HSSD
L2 CACHE: 6MB
RAM: 4GB 1066 MHz

or

I can trade a custom PC (i5 4570/8GB 1600 MHz RAM) for this:
MacMini
Model Identifier: MC815LL/A
CPU: i5 2.3 GHz
STORAGE: 500 GB HDD 5400 rpm
RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz

I was looking for portability, but it doesn't really matter now. I guess my concern is how much faster will the i5 be compared to the Core 2 Duo. I will be playing no games. It will be strictly used for school and work. The applications that I will be using are Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Garageband.

I am stuck because I think that it would be a great straight trade for the custom PC, but I do like the idea of the portability factor with the MacBook.

What do you guys think is a better trade/deal?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Johnny

Solution
Thanks for the input!

I went ahead and traded my XBOX One for the C2D 2.66 GHz. I didn't see the point in having a PS3, PS4, XBOX One and a gaming PC. So, I got rid of the Xbox. Plus, I didn't want to trade my i5 4570/8GB RAM HTPC for a MacMini. I figured I can use the Core 2 Duo for what I need for the next couple of years. I mean, I am not gaming or benchmarking on it, so I think it will make it that long.

So far, the Macbook Pro (C2D) is not bad, at all. It is in really great condition. He upgraded it with a 1TB HDD/SDD Hybrid. I think it will fit my needs nicely for now.

EthanG

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Get the mini. Core 2 is pretty damn outdated and a laptop that old is going to have a seriously degraded battery life (good luck replacing a macbook's battery). If you like you're mini you can always work on finding a macbook in the future.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for the input!

I went ahead and traded my XBOX One for the C2D 2.66 GHz. I didn't see the point in having a PS3, PS4, XBOX One and a gaming PC. So, I got rid of the Xbox. Plus, I didn't want to trade my i5 4570/8GB RAM HTPC for a MacMini. I figured I can use the Core 2 Duo for what I need for the next couple of years. I mean, I am not gaming or benchmarking on it, so I think it will make it that long.

So far, the Macbook Pro (C2D) is not bad, at all. It is in really great condition. He upgraded it with a 1TB HDD/SDD Hybrid. I think it will fit my needs nicely for now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.