FX - 9370 or FX - 8350 for gaming.

marktilbrook

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
Whats better for gaming and for high graphics with a gtx 770, and 8gb ram? The fx 9370 or the 8350? thanks also that will be good to run games on near ultra with the upcoming games like gta for pc and battlefield hardline and the witcher 3.. thanks again :)

Solution
The premium of the 9370 over the 8350/8320 isn't worth it when you could do yourself probably. On top of that, the number of motherboards which support the 9370 are limited compared to the 8350. The one's you can overclock with are still fairly limiting. The suggested motherboards for the 9370 are pricey as well.

With the money you spend on a 9370, motherboard, and cooler, you could spend it on an intel system that runs just as well, if not better in gaming.
The premium of the 9370 over the 8350/8320 isn't worth it when you could do yourself probably. On top of that, the number of motherboards which support the 9370 are limited compared to the 8350. The one's you can overclock with are still fairly limiting. The suggested motherboards for the 9370 are pricey as well.

With the money you spend on a 9370, motherboard, and cooler, you could spend it on an intel system that runs just as well, if not better in gaming.

Solution

mapesdhs

Distinguished
The power consumption will also be lower with an Intel build, and remember the IPC of the FX series is rather
woeful compared to Haswell. You're better off with a 4690K which will oc nicely (only worth getting the 4790K
if the games you're playing can take advantage of HT; some can, others can't, it varies).

Ian.

G

The 8320 is a factory underclocked and lower binned 8350.

@OP,
The 8350 is pretty much where it's at, the 9000 series are much higher binned, much hotter and much more power hungry chips. Personally I don't think they're worth the extra cost even now that they've come down in price - When you consider that you're about 50 quid away from an i7 at their current price tag.
They require a decent board to pump that many volts through and a decent cooler to dispell the heat (There is a boxed water-cooler for one of them now I believe). You may also need a decent power supply since their stock TDP is 220w.

If you're on a budget then the 8350 is a very affordable chip right now. Keep in mind that it's about 2 generations old and AMD haven't been keeping up in the higher end CPU market, so technically it's their current high tear CPU line up. Meanwhile Intel have had an extra 2 generations making the 4000 series and indeed - New Devils Canyon version of them, a much more logical choice for a current build.

I'm personally sticking with my 8350 because I bought it around the time it was released (ala when it made sense) and still love it. But currently, for you, a latest i5 or even i3 might be just the ticket.

marktilbrook

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
okay so you think the 8350 is the way to go? that with a gtx 770 and 8gb ram will be good for games near ultra now and in the next few years yes? because thats what im looking for, a set up that i can run most games on ultra or near ultra. but i see your guys points with the 8350 being the way to go.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
This is why, if someone is open to used items, I'd recommend just getting a 2700K instead, as
they oc like absolute crazy. Every 2700K I've obtained (five so far) ran at 5GHz no problem,
easy with a decent, cheap air cooler like a TRUE (though I've been using H80s for minimum noise).
Leaves the 8350 far behind and very good for gaming. The only thing that'd push me to a
newer Haswell build is the better SATA3 support, etc. (eg. Maximus VII Ranger).

If you want something that's going to last some years, I don't think an 8350 is the best choice.
It's IPC is too low. Check toms' and other sites' charts for gaming performance comparisons.

Ian.