R9 280 Artifacts - Bad VRAM?

lyravega

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Hello everyone. I just bought a R9 280 as it is the best card on my country's market for that price. After opening the box like a child is opening its x-mas present, I installed it, then booted my PC up.

Below are the steps I've taken;
-Uninstall drivers & clean rest in safe mode, remove old card
-Install the R9 280, boot the PC up
-Install the new drivers, restart
-Artifacts everywhere as soon as drivers load; on desktop
-Thinking that this is a driver issue (as there are no artifacts on BIOS, Windows loading logo, etc...), clean up the drivers, roll back to a previous one
-Artifacts everywhere
-Insisting/thinking that this is a driver issue, clean up the drivers & try a beta driver
-Artifacts everywhere

Additional info;
-Temperatures are well within normal limits; there is no load when this happen, and it always happens without doing anything
-Even though I say temps are OK, cannot comment on individual VRAM temps. I also noticed that one VRAM is not covered by heatsink, which makes me scratch my head, and maybe this is the faulty one
-PSU; I was using 2x 5970s in XFire before, so I am absolutely positive that this isn't some sort of low wattage problem. Check specs
-Rolled back to my old cards for now, to be sure that I didn't damage any component on the motherboard or let a power cable or two loose or something
-Tried playing a 3D game, to rule out powerplay issues and such. Where there are squares and lines, and such on a 2D plane, on 3D space I was seeing spikes and such (stretched out geometry artifacts)

Below are the steps I've yet to take (but really hold no hope);
-Updating motherboard BIOS
-Updating motherboard chipset drivers
-UEFI thingy

So, what I am thinking is this card has defective VRAM, as it shows up as soon as the real drivers load and try to take advantage of it or something like that. But what puzzles me is, there are no problems on BIOS, etc... till blue Windows screen shows up, as said above. So that makes me think that it might not be a VRAM issue at all, however, as said above, due to the noticeable geometry issues on 3D applications (games), cannot be certain. Most of the signs point to a defective VRAM, but I'd like to add to the "yet to do" list above if you guys have anything else to suggest & test. After I'll exhaust the "yet to" list above, I'll RMA the card given that artifacts keep appearing. Thanks in advance -lyravega

Specs:
4x4GB DDR3-1333MHz Corsair RAM
MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
Intel i5 3570k
Sapphire R9 280 (extra info: Hynix VRAM chips)
TT Toughpower 1.5kW PSU
Win7 64bit

Desktop artifacts: http://i.imgur.com/MuEpwRu.jpg

Solution

It can be VRAM or it can be the GPU itself after it switches from legacy-mode to accelerated mode.

Either way, there is nothing you can do about it to fix this yourself so you need a replacement or repair anyway.

InvalidError

Titan
The text boot screens are just that: text. Instead of using memory to display graphics, they use memory for the character buffer and then a character table to generate the display output so it is quite possible for this ~8KB of memory to not be affected by any memory corruption issues you might have. The graphical UEFI BIOS menus run at something like 16-color 640x480 VESA graphics which uses 150KB and could also slip between corrupt memory addresses.

Yet another possibility is that during pre-driver time, the GPU's firmware is setting GPU clock, memory clock, voltages and other values at much more conservative levels than drivers do since GPU acceleration is disabled until drivers are loaded. Until then, the GPU is nothing more than a dumb frame buffer, replaying whatever the CPU put in the frame-buffer out on the displays.

lyravega

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

As I've mentioned, Windows safe mode (where standard Windows VGA drivers are loaded) is artifact-free. Though I understand what you are saying; where I said "till real drivers are loaded", you used a more accurate term "GPU acceleration".

I assume you are inclined towards bad VRAM as well, correct?

InvalidError

Titan

It can be VRAM or it can be the GPU itself after it switches from legacy-mode to accelerated mode.

Either way, there is nothing you can do about it to fix this yourself so you need a replacement or repair anyway.

Solution

I think the VRAM is faulty. Try and return the card and get a new one.