FX-6300 vs i5 4690

EucleX

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
I currently have an A4-5300 AMD Processor that has been bottlenecking my ASUS 7770 2gb GPU. In about a month, I am going to upgrade my motherboard and CPU to either the FX-6300 or the i5 4690. Can anyone give me suggestions for which one I should go for? Also a motherboard suggestion would be great aswell.

Solution
If you do not mind the cost difference between the two (too much), I would pick the i5 since its stronger single-thread performance will yield the biggest benefits in most applications and games out-of-the-box. With AMD's chips, some extreme overclocking may be required to match stock i5.

Then again, the HD7770 is not a particularly high-end GPU so the stock FX-6300 should get the job done if you have no plans to upgrade the GPU any time soon.

InvalidError

Titan
If you do not mind the cost difference between the two (too much), I would pick the i5 since its stronger single-thread performance will yield the biggest benefits in most applications and games out-of-the-box. With AMD's chips, some extreme overclocking may be required to match stock i5.

Then again, the HD7770 is not a particularly high-end GPU so the stock FX-6300 should get the job done if you have no plans to upgrade the GPU any time soon.

Solution
Well the 4690 is far ahead of the fx-6300.
If you want the best bang for buck option, I would go for the FX-8320. If you have the funds and want to get the best performence then go wth the 4690.

FYI you will have to reinstall windows going from amd to intel (or vice versa).

DubbleClick

Admirable

He will have to reinstall windows anyway on changing the motherboard or architecture.

Even though the boards use a different chipset you can often swap it out and just install the new drivers, you just cant do it going from intel to amd because the os installs different files/keys.

Now I have never attempted to upgrade a fm2 to an am3+ before so there may be a specific issue with those two that I am not aware of.

EucleX

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Well. If I do go for the FX-8320, I still have to reinstall windows and all my other programs?

EucleX

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

I do plan to upgrade me GPU to maybe a 7970 in the future. But if I do get the i5, will I get better FPS in games than the FX-6300.?

I have gone from am3 to am3+ with completely different chipsets wiht no issues on a couple of computers, I just had to install the new drivers.

I have never done a fm2 to am3+ swap (i tend to avoid apu platform like the plauge do to lackluster cpu perofrmance) so I cant say with any certianty that you will not have to reinstall. You shouldnt, but without knowing for sure I dont want to mislead you.