1600 shows 1333

Pitbull69

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
so this last week I have finally upgraded my computer, well parts of it, but I need to know if I have done something wrong, I have read lots of threads regarding this, but cant find a specific answer to my concern,

I have a matched pair of corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 Ram, but since formatting it now shows up as 1333,

My processor is a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and the motherboard is a GigaByte GA-880GM-UD2H

Now my question is, is my processor limiting the Ram speed, I know my motherboard is pretty bad for overclocking, so I think its pointless trying to overclock it, but need to make sure I have set the PC running correctly,

Thanks in advance..

Solution
Go into bios and make sure the memory voltage and timings are correct and increase the memory multiplier to 1600MHz. Your system will most like handle 1600MHz. If not, might need to OC the CPU some. And there is also the CPU mem controller voltage to raise, maybe.

Pitbull69

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
I went into the bios but couldn't see that setting anywhere at all, as I had seen on a post when searching about that setting,

Yeah I was looking at the stats, but it mentions 1800+ so I cant see why it wouldn't run at 1600 unless the processor is holding it back, but I cant find a definite answer weather to if that's the case or not

Go into bios and make sure the memory voltage and timings are correct and increase the memory multiplier to 1600MHz. Your system will most like handle 1600MHz. If not, might need to OC the CPU some. And there is also the CPU mem controller voltage to raise, maybe.

Solution

Pitbull69

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014

Thanks mate, that was the answer I needed, I will be looking at a 990FX in the future with an 8 core AMD, so hopefully once I can get them I will be able to run the RAM at the correct speeds

Thanks for the info, but I searched my mobo and overclocking, and it comes up with a few posts saying my board isnt very stable with overclocking as its an older board,. and with me being quite new to that side of things, Im not sure its something i feel safe doing if you see what I mean

But I did check and the voltage and timings are correct, changing the memory multiplyer am I risking anything or if it doesnt work is it a simple case of putting back to 1333 ?

It is worth a try. If it does not work, then it will revert back to 1333MHz. You are not OCing anything yet just by trying to get the advertised speed from your memory. It's no big deal. Won't hurt a thing to try.

EDIT:
And your board should support up to 1800MHz memory anyways.

Pitbull69

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
Thanks I have just done it, and it now is running at 1600MHz, and seems to be running OK, 1600MHz was max I could set it too though, but not too fussed as that's what I have, (But I did read my board went up to 1800MHz earlier)