Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any Tips? - Cost Effective Video Editing/Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 24, 2014 4:45:28 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hc2M4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hc2M4D/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($130.67 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($50.99 @ TigerDirect)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($10.99 @ Amazon)
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller ($21.24 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: AZIO PRISM Wired Slim Keyboard ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1006.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-24 19:59 EDT-0400

This is my final draft for my first real workhorse. Its main purpose will be for video/effects editing and rendering, but I'm also looking for some good performance with gaming. I've been putting together this list for a few months now. For a while I was planning on getting a super expensive i7 processor and high end nVidia card, but decided to save money and see how low I could get the price while only sacrificing a bit of performance. I didn't expect to go below $1100, though.

Notes: I'm excluding myself to nVidia GPU to take advantage of CUDA/openCL acceleration used in Adobe software. I know a few of them like After Effects can also use openGL but CUDA has historically been an Adobe thing. The gtx 750 Ti seemed to be a good starting point, I was considering the 660 but it seemed like more money for just a slight increase in performance. Open to discussion, but I'd like to keep GPU below $200. It's definitely something I will upgrade in the future, just looking for a solid starting point.

I'm mostly curious about the AMD CPU I found. All of the research I did on it seemed to suggest it would work great, but I don't know if there would be any bottlenecks here with this particular build.
July 24, 2014 5:13:43 PM

Great build! I have same processor and almost same motherboard. I would say for the power supply get another 100 watts and maybe bump the video card up a little, just a little, just to future-proof it.
m
1
l
Related resources
July 24, 2014 5:17:07 PM

SlayZombi said:
Great build! I have same processor and almost same motherboard. I would say for the power supply get another 100 watts and maybe bump the video card up a little, just a little, just to future-proof it.


Any suggestions on the video card? I'm on the edge about the gtx 660 but if there's anything better for around $180 I'm all ears.
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 5:19:48 PM

r7 270x
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 5:41:07 PM

I was about to suggest the same thing. It is AMD Radeon but it performs EXTREMELY well for price. ANY game you want on max. I have the R7 260x and it's 2 generations down, but still plays everything on max so an R9 will BLOW through any game. ;-)
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 6:04:29 PM

SlayZombi said:
I was about to suggest the same thing. It is AMD Radeon but it performs EXTREMELY well for price. ANY game you want on max. I have the R7 260x and it's 2 generations down, but still plays everything on max so an R9 will BLOW through any game. ;-)


I just don't know if it would be as good with Adobe software that utilizes CUDA acceleration that nVidia provides, that's why I was going for nvidia only. I guess that's a question for a different thread though
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 6:58:51 PM

equatebytop said:
SlayZombi said:
I was about to suggest the same thing. It is AMD Radeon but it performs EXTREMELY well for price. ANY game you want on max. I have the R7 260x and it's 2 generations down, but still plays everything on max so an R9 will BLOW through any game. ;-)


I just don't know if it would be as good with Adobe software that utilizes CUDA acceleration that nVidia provides, that's why I was going for nvidia only. I guess that's a question for a different thread though


CUDA CUDA blah blah, that's like a small increase compared to what OpenCL can do for you! I doubt you will see much increase by going for Nvidia.
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 7:29:56 PM

It's not about opencl vs cuda, it was then cuda vs cpu so is a whole lot faster but this is no longer the case. Adobe was never much an nvidia lover like people think. Premiere and ae are the only adobe software that uses cuda and premiere added opencl support since cc. So other than ae which has only 1 cuda feature, 3d ray tracing, going with amd is fine. Everything else is opengl which works on any gpu. Ps added some opencl as well but that works on either too.
m
1
l
July 24, 2014 7:36:24 PM

k1114 said:
It's not about opencl vs cuda, it was then cuda vs cpu so is a whole lot faster but this is no longer the case. Adobe was never much an nvidia lover like people think. Premiere and ae are the only adobe software that uses cuda and premiere added opencl support since cc. So other than ae which has only 1 cuda feature, 3d ray tracing, going with amd is fine. Everything else is opengl which works on any gpu. Ps added some opencl as well but that works on either too.


Thank you! This helps a lot. Hard to find a straightforward answer on the whole thing. I am using Premiere CS6 atm but it'd probably be wise to just get an AMD gpu now since I'll have to upgrade eventually.
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 8:03:18 PM

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premier... From gpu accelerated render with a 660 vs cpu, 3770k, an hour render gets shortened to ~13mins. You'd probably want to upgrade sooner rather than later if you go with amd now then. Although neither the performance or price between the cards is big. The cuda accelerated effects aren't as much of a big deal in time. I don't have a benchmark for them but here's a list of the effects. http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html#...

I also forgot illustrator added some cuda only acceleration as well. Not really a big deal since it runs plenty fast unless it's a very complex project.
m
0
l
July 24, 2014 8:47:33 PM

equatebytop said:
k1114 said:
It's not about opencl vs cuda, it was then cuda vs cpu so is a whole lot faster but this is no longer the case. Adobe was never much an nvidia lover like people think. Premiere and ae are the only adobe software that uses cuda and premiere added opencl support since cc. So other than ae which has only 1 cuda feature, 3d ray tracing, going with amd is fine. Everything else is opengl which works on any gpu. Ps added some opencl as well but that works on either too.


Thank you! This helps a lot. Hard to find a straightforward answer on the whole thing. I am using Premiere CS6 atm but it'd probably be wise to just get an AMD gpu now since I'll have to upgrade eventually.


Yes, AMD gpu for sure. If budget is around $200 get this...

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-2GB-2xDVI-Graphics...
m
0
l
!