Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking to upgrade and recycle as many parts as possible, what can stay and what can go?

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 25, 2014 4:35:04 AM

Hey, forgive me if I don't make sense!

I've got the following parts:

Intel H61DL motherboard
Intel Core I7-3770K (Not OC'ed)
8GB Corsair Vengence Ram at 9-9-9-9-24 1600
Zotac Gefore GT 610 1GB 64bit DDR3 memory.
ASUS DVD-RW
CoolerMaster Gemini II M4 (CPU cooler)
OCZ ZT series 550w 80 +bronze PSU*

Unicomp Model M Keyboard*

I'm currently looking at my Motherboard and my Graphics cards as the two I'm most likely to upgrade. as Far as Motherboards go I've been looking around and I've found a couple I like, but I want a few second opinions before I start putting my 300 dollar budget to use.

considered motherboards currently: Intel P67BGB3 Socket 1155 and Asus P8Z77-V LK

Both can be found on Amazon and as far as Graphics Cards something that's a nice value, but not, well... crap!

Also looking to keep things Linux Friendly, that's a big thing. Not linux Friendly, I am not interested.



Thanks for any suggestion and advice. I'm off to compare reviews.

*(Just installed a couple minutes ago)

**(Not being used currently, Logitech K120 REplacing it due to issues with intermitency as Heat goes up, regardless of what I've done to keep my CPU cool.)

More about : upgrade recycle parts stay

July 25, 2014 4:40:59 AM

Get an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard if you want to have the option of overclocking. Get a decent GPU like an R9 270X/GTX 760. Get a better aftermarket cooler like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and replace the PSU with Antec, Corsair (HX,AX,TX ONLY), Seasonic, XFX or EVGA 550-650W.
m
0
l
July 25, 2014 5:00:07 AM

Icaraeus said:
Get an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard if you want to have the option of overclocking. Get a decent GPU like an R9 270X/GTX 760. Get a better aftermarket cooler like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and replace the PSU with Antec, Corsair (HX,AX,TX ONLY), Seasonic, XFX or EVGA 550-650W.


Already did the PSU, Went from a cooler Master 400w PSU to a fully modular 550w OCZ-ZT Series.

I agree that the Hyper 212 looks like a good replacement for my mini-ITX compatible one...

The GTX 760 blows my budget, but the 750TI is well within the rough grand total of three hundred dollars I've set for myself if I include the mother board you suggest. The R9 270X is just within that budget new, and well within used though that's the same with either to be honest...

Also, good suggestion on that board, I've never actually taken the time to look at their boards properly. I am curious, have you ever had any problems with your board?

You own one so I figure I should ask.

Also, I'd like to apologize for the change in information above. I hadn't thought out my first post to help people answer my question. though it didn't do too much damage considering things so far.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 25, 2014 5:50:34 AM

The R9 270X is well worth it, I have it. Assuming there's no CPU bottleneck it's capable of running every game in existence on max settings (or w/out AA) without lag. I've never had any problems with my motherboard yet and I've used it to OC my CPU above 4Ghz which some people have doubts I actually have since it's not a K or X CPU. The motherboard has the option of "non-K overclocking" which is how I did it.

Additionally, there is no difference between the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and Extreme4-M except the 4-M is a little cheaper, supports only 1 GPU instead of 2 and has a few less SATA and USB ports. Everything else is the same. The motherboards you're considering aren't as good as the Extreme4. They have poorer quality capacitors which means they aren't as good for stability and OC'ing.

The R9 270X is just as good as the GTX 760, even better in some cases. If it's cheaper get it. When I bought my PC's components in February the R9 270X was $250 and the GTX 760 was $300. I went with the R9 270X because it's basically $50 cheaper for the same performance.
Share
July 25, 2014 6:03:50 AM

The r9 270x is not as good as the r9 270x, they are similar but not the same.
m
0
l
July 25, 2014 12:15:10 PM

Icaraeus said:
The R9 270X is well worth it, I have it. Assuming there's no CPU bottleneck it's capable of running every game in existence on max settings (or w/out AA) without lag. I've never had any problems with my motherboard yet and I've used it to OC my CPU above 4Ghz which some people have doubts I actually have since it's not a K or X CPU. The motherboard has the option of "non-K overclocking" which is how I did it.

Additionally, there is no difference between the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and Extreme4-M except the 4-M is a little cheaper, supports only 1 GPU instead of 2 and has a few less SATA and USB ports. Everything else is the same. The motherboards you're considering aren't as good as the Extreme4. They have poorer quality capacitors which means they aren't as good for stability and OC'ing.

The R9 270X is just as good as the GTX 760, even better in some cases. If it's cheaper get it. When I bought my PC's components in February the R9 270X was $250 and the GTX 760 was $300. I went with the R9 270X because it's basically $50 cheaper for the same performance.


It's priace as dropped, I'm looking at it for 164-ish dollars new with prime and free two day shipping, how could I go wrong! I've got a I7-3770K for my lga 1155 socket. ^&^






schau314 said:
The r9 270x is not as good as the r9 270x, they are similar but not the same.


That's a little contradictory don't you think?

the Same product is not as good as the Same product?I assume you're meaning the GTX-760 in this case.
m
0
l
July 25, 2014 12:58:39 PM

Yes sorry. Haha, but the different makers can change their performance.
m
0
l
July 25, 2014 1:39:15 PM

If he can afford the R9 270X he should get it. There's a 5% difference between the R9 270X and GTX 760 and the R9 270X beats it sometimes at stock anyways.
m
0
l
July 25, 2014 6:44:29 PM

thanks for Helping out you guys, the input was greatly appreciated. I'll be waiting a little bit before I purchase the parts...couple paychecks so I have a nice buffer if anything happens.

But yeah, thank you so much for the help and suggestions.
m
0
l
July 25, 2014 6:57:17 PM

No problem, happy to help. :) 
m
0
l
!