I5 4590 or FX 8250 better for streaming games?

qigong

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014
Witch one is better for streaming games like: Smite, LoL, Dota 2, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, WoW? My video card is a GF GTX 650Ti.
But just for playing games without streaming?

Solution
The i5 would easily outperform the FX 8350 in the games you've listed.

Streaming adds an overhead of CPU work. The 8350 tends to perform better in streaming due to the higher number of cores available that aren't being utilised by the game. However, the 8350 has worse performance in the games, as it has more cores than the i5 but they are also weaker.

I'd expect the i5 to outperform the 8350 when just playing the game, and continue to do so even when streaming. I expect the performance to difference to be large enough when just playing the game for the streaming to not make enough impact to drop it to the 8350's performance.

AznGOD

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

The FX 8350 would likely outperform the 4590 while streaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

Please read what I posted. Also I don't tend to trust the benches Logan puts out as they tend to be riddled with inconsistencies (point and case the 8350 vs i5 3570k benches that are the only resource on the internet that make the 8350 seem competitive). ETTO I suppose.

I already said that the 8350 will outperform the i5 while streaming - generally. However the i5 will outperform the FX while gaming. If the i5 is already better at gaming by a large margin, the overhead that streaming provides may still have the i5 + streaming to be better than the FX (+ streaming, but the overhead on the FX usually isn't that large). I expect this to be true in games that only tend to be heavy on something like 1 or 2 threads, with large MMO's and RTS' tend to be, which is what OP seems to be interested in.

Solution