HP Microserver Gen 7 or Dell Precision T3500?

JTP

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Im thinking about buying a HP Microserver Gen 7 or a T3500 for the following:
1. UPNP media server
2. Bit torrent sync server
3. VPN constantly connected
4. Transmission web client
5. TV Headend server
6. 1 virtual machine running windows for a 2 slot home Garrys Mod dev server
7. SVN
8. I might host a wifi network through it too.. Not sure yet

I was told the HP Microserver is too underpowered for what I want to do, is this true? Is the T3500 overkill?

What about the noise on the T3500? Is it a noisy machine? It needs to be pretty quiet if I can help it.
Thanks!

Solution
The Microserver has anemic Turion CPU. While it is more than enough for simple file serving, DLNA (and especially transcoding) will overload it, and VMs will be slow as mollasses (if you are able to install a hypervisor at all). I doublt it has any decent video output, and 150W PSU will make expansion tough.

The Dell is in the other extreme - this is workstation-class PC. While it is an overkill for media server, it is much better for VM hosting and TV source. But it will be probably loud.
The Microserver has anemic Turion CPU. While it is more than enough for simple file serving, DLNA (and especially transcoding) will overload it, and VMs will be slow as mollasses (if you are able to install a hypervisor at all). I doublt it has any decent video output, and 150W PSU will make expansion tough.

The Dell is in the other extreme - this is workstation-class PC. While it is an overkill for media server, it is much better for VM hosting and TV source. But it will be probably loud.

Solution