FX 8350 Running Too Hot on CM Seidon 240m Water Cooler

eyefinity3

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi, I was wondering if somebody knew what might be going on with my pc.

I have an FX 8350 running on an Asus M5a99FX Pro R2.0 Mobo. The CPU has a CM seidon 240m water cooler.

First off, this PC idling hotter than my other PC with the same specs, (FX 8350 running on an Asus M5a99FX Pro R2.0 Mobo) but with not as nice of a Cooler. It is a Thermaltake Water Performer 3.0 120mm. Through general use, it is many degrees, 3-5 Celsius hotter as well. This makes no sense, as I have a nicer cooler on it and I even add some pull fans to it so it's got 4 fans total on the radiator.

I did attempt to do the "auto" overclocking in the mobo and it said it was up to around 4.38 ghz, but then when I looked at the specs in Windows, and the task manager, it say's "4.0 ghz".

It is on Windows 8. The Bios version is 2301.

I ran prime95 and within a few minutes I was up around 57 degrees so I shut it down.

I tried redoing the thermal past on the Cpu. Origionally I had a little thermal paste spilling over the side. And it's possible I did it again. I'd just rather not have to do it another time, if it's possible it's another problem

I'm open to any ideas, as I don't have much of my own. I'm a noob.

Thanks

Solution
G
For starters, don't use the Auto feature in the BIOS for overclocking.

As far as I can remember going by my board (Which, arguably is the same with just a different colour scheme and better mosfets), Optimized mode will make the FX-8350 run at 4.3GHz.

The problem is it grossly over-estimates the voltage it requires to do so. Often bumping it up to near or over 1.4v from the stock 1.365. This is also an issue with the TurboCore functionality from AMD for the minor bump of 0.2GHz. I get that both companies want to ensure absolute stability for all the different chip-bins, but it's just silly.
Going by my chip, even small increments of voltage add a ton of heat output.

Solution then, overclock manually. Return it...

Andrew Buck

Honorable

For one, do not use auto overclocking. It will raise the VCORE way too much while stress testing. Set the VCORE to the number shown to the left of Core Voltage and then try upping the VCORE 200 MHz at a time until you are stable. Until then, set your VCORE to the number shown to the left and leave clockspeed at 4.0 GHz.

G

For starters, don't use the Auto feature in the BIOS for overclocking.

As far as I can remember going by my board (Which, arguably is the same with just a different colour scheme and better mosfets), Optimized mode will make the FX-8350 run at 4.3GHz.

The problem is it grossly over-estimates the voltage it requires to do so. Often bumping it up to near or over 1.4v from the stock 1.365. This is also an issue with the TurboCore functionality from AMD for the minor bump of 0.2GHz. I get that both companies want to ensure absolute stability for all the different chip-bins, but it's just silly.
Going by my chip, even small increments of voltage add a ton of heat output.

Solution then, overclock manually. Return it back to normal, set the Manual Voltage in the AI Tweaker to.. well, manual and 1.3625v if it isn't already. Also go into the Digi+ VRM section and change the CPU LLC (Load Line Calibration) to Ultra High. This will bump the full-load voltage up to about 1.38v, but it's better to overshoot than undershoot.

Have a read of the following link, it applies to you since you're using an ASUS board:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Finally, notch up the multi to +22, on that cooler a 4.4GHz clock should be ridiculously easy to gain.
For now though, your temps are fine. Core temperature shouldn't exceed 62c for any long period of time (So, Stress Testing then) on an AMD chip. You're sitting 5c under that so it's fine, surprisingly nice for 1.4v too, should get a good 4.6GHz clock out of that kind of voltage.
Plus, use Small FFT tests in Prime95 for the CPU, Blend isn't going to make it quite as hot.

Additionally, I would suggest reapplying that paste. If you're worried it might spill over the edge, you've used too much. You only need a tiny amount of paste. Wouldn't want to limit that awesome cooler.

Solution