160$ Budget what should I get??

CombustLemons

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
I've got about an 160$ budget for a keyboard,mouse,headset. I currently have: Crappy Dell+Keyboard+Mouse and half broke turtle beach x12 that I got for free. I want a good gaming headset that sounds good and the mic is good because a lot of the games I play require VoIP. I don't know what the difference would be if I had a gaming keyboard/mouse. I feel like the razer abyssus might be good because its entry level and doesn't have extra buttons but at the same time I would not mind having some buttons. As for the keyboard I am not sure at all. Also for headsets I looked at the Razer Kraken Pro neon green and was going to buy it but I am not sure if I should. What do you guys think?

Solution
I wouldn't worry about budget as much as finding something you really like. If you aren't sure you'll like it, don't spend the money and just get something to get you by. A long time ago my best friend pointed out that there are three things you will always use when you sit at your computer. Mouse, Keyboard, and Monitor. You won't always use all the horsepower of your Cpu or Gpu, or Ram, but you'll always type, move the cursor, and look at the screen, so those items are something you shouldn't spare money for satisfaction on.

Do your research , find a mouse you feel comfortable with and same with a keyboard. Read reviews. Same goes for a headset. Then balance that with how much you want to spend.
As far as the keyboard and mouse are concerned, that's a matter of personal preference. I gamed for years on an old keyboard and a 30 dollar microsoft mouse. I could literally toss the keyboard in the dishwasher to clean it, that's how old it was. I now use a 10 dollar Logitech keyboard and Razer Imperator mouse. Pick a mouse that you like the feel of, and any keyboard you like.

If you want to spend the money you can get a mechanical keyboard, but it is by no means necessary.

As far as a headset is concerned, that gets a little more into quality vs. price. Turtle Beach is a solid brand generally, and there are others.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
I'd suggest staying away from the 'Gaming' oriented keyboards as they offer not very much for a higher price. Coolermaster or Ducky mechanical keyboards are the way to go, you just have to decided which switch you'd prefer. As for headsets I'd suggest a Steelseries siberia v2 for over ear or Astro A30 for on ear. Mionix 7000 series are the best mice out right now but they aren't too cheap. Logitech mice are also good but it really depends on what is comfortable in your hand. :)

CombustLemons

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Alright so here is what I have decided on so far:
Razer Kraken Pro 7.1
Razer Abyssus
CM Devastator Keyboard+Mouse Combo (Not gonna use mouse just gonna use keyboard.)

What do you guys think of this?

Alex Kelly

Honorable
If i'm going to be honest with you, razer peripherals are overpriced and low quality. I suppose it's up to you but everything you have listed is very cheap and you'll probably be looking to replace them all after a while tbh. I think it's a lot better to spend a bit extra and get things you know you will be happy with for years to come.

CombustLemons

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

Well this is all the budget I have for these items. The main thing I care about is the headset. I want a good headset and if you think there is a headset that I should get that has a mic please do share what it is!

CombustLemons

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

No you weren't negative at all. You were helpful! I needed someone to say something like this to keep me on track!

CombustLemons

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

Also about the Steel Series. The USB one or the regular one??

I wouldn't worry about budget as much as finding something you really like. If you aren't sure you'll like it, don't spend the money and just get something to get you by. A long time ago my best friend pointed out that there are three things you will always use when you sit at your computer. Mouse, Keyboard, and Monitor. You won't always use all the horsepower of your Cpu or Gpu, or Ram, but you'll always type, move the cursor, and look at the screen, so those items are something you shouldn't spare money for satisfaction on.

Do your research , find a mouse you feel comfortable with and same with a keyboard. Read reviews. Same goes for a headset. Then balance that with how much you want to spend.

Solution

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Good advice :) you don't need to USB version of the Siberia v2 unless your motherboard has crappy onboard sound, if you have a fairly new motherboard the non USB version would be perfect :)

CombustLemons

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

Well my mobo is an ASRock Z87 Extreme4. It has realtek sound is that good or should I get the 7.1 USB one?

Unless you are a true audiophile, or require a great sound card for sound editing, the on board sound is quite good enough. Used to be that you needed a sound card because of crap onboard sound, but for the last 5-7 years, it really has come a long ways. If nothing else, keep it for now and decide later if you think it's something that you aren't happy with.

Last time I bought a sound card was in 2006. I spend 125 dollars on a Soundblaster Audigy to pair with my 350 dollar Kllipsch 5.1 speakers. Now I just use the onboard sound with my 2.1 speakers.