$700 CAD budget amd build look okay?

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
be sure to introduce him to steam. This is a very good build, but it will be a total overkill if he does not play any games. For watching movies only, i would recommend a Chromebox (Desktop with Chrome OS) which are under 200 $ !. But of course, this is limited to Chrome OS, though you could put ubuntu in it.

I think it's a little large and not what an older guy would like. Firstly the case with a window. I think the plainer, the smaller the better. I think an 8-core processor is overkill as well. In many ways the system is more powerful and probably bulkier than the ideal PC for a guy watching movies and playing Starcraft. :)

Start maybe with a micro-ATX case, and motherbaord. See where that leads you to. :)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-tj08be

Fr33Th1nk3r

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

Yea but that's 130 bucks lol. I bought my c70 case for $134. A lot of the Canadian sites here will rape you on shipping. I just wanted something with usb 3.0 so he can get movies from his buddy and all that faster. I really do prefer the smaller form factors. No sense in having a monolith propping your desk up amirite?