i7-4790 vs i7-4790k

Solution
^^^^They are not the same. The i7-4790K is 4 GHz at stock, versus the -4790 at 3.6 Ghz.

For about $20 difference, I think the -4790K is worth it. We're used to seeing 100 MHz differences here or there that aren't really worth being worried about, but 400 MHz is fairly significant. Plus with the -4790K you can always change your mind about overclocking some day.

oxiide

Distinguished
^^^^They are not the same. The i7-4790K is 4 GHz at stock, versus the -4790 at 3.6 Ghz.

For about $20 difference, I think the -4790K is worth it. We're used to seeing 100 MHz differences here or there that aren't really worth being worried about, but 400 MHz is fairly significant. Plus with the -4790K you can always change your mind about overclocking some day.

Solution

genkuro

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

Newegg is scraping the specs. Probably best to go to the source.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/80806,80807

The non-k version is, as I stated, and verified by your link above, best suited for large businesses, with the added security and remote management, etc.

If the cost is only $20 or so more, it would definitely be advisable for the consumer to purchase the K version of the processor for the added processor speed and overclocking. The processor speed is ramped-up by 400 MHz and also 400mhz for the turbo. so the K version at stock is 4.0 and 4.4ghz vs
the non K version of 3.6 and 4.0 turbo.

However, you are indeed correct, to always go to the source for everything, for info, and drivers, and software, etc.....

AsrockingfastPC

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

The difference between the two is when you get the K you can overlock for a few more GHz. but you lose the benefit of Trusted computation technology. What is that?

"Trusted compute pools with Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT)1 support IT compliance by protecting virtualized data centers’ private, public, and hybrid clouds against attacks toward hypervisor and BIOS, firmware, and other pre-launch software components.

A feature of the Intel® Xeon® processor, Intel TXT establishes a root of trust through measurements when the hardware and pre-launch software components are in a known good state. Utilizing the result, administrators can set policies for sensitive data and workload placement onto groups of servers known as trusted compute pools."

Why it matters
With Intel TXT, you can:

Run your workload and data on a trusted server.
Protect your workload and data.
Avoid compromising security in the cloud.
Enhance IT compliance.

Intel TXT works in conjunction with server systems based on the Intel Xeon processor and software stack installed on top of the server systems.

See solutions and products incorporating Intel TXT from key industry leaders.

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology for Server Platforms
Available on eBook and paperback
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology for Server Platforms
This book explains Intel Trusted Execution Technology for Servers, its purpose, application, advantages, and limitations and guides the server administrator / datacenter managers.

Diogenes I

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

The I7-4790 and the I7-4790K are NOT the same. The I7-4790 has 1] Intel® vPro Technology; 2] Intel® Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP); and 3] Trusted Execution Technology. ... The I7-4790K does NOT have the 1] 2] 3] items.
See
http://ark.intel.com/products/80806/Intel-Core-i7-4790-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

1] Intel® vPro Technology
'Intel® vPro™ Technology' is a set of security and manageability capabilities built into the processor aimed at addressing four critical areas of IT security: 1) Threat management, including protection from rootkits, viruses, and malware 2) Identity and web site access point protection 3) Confidential personal and business data protection 4) Remote and local monitoring, remediation, and repair of PCs and workstations.

2] Intel® Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)
'Intel® Stable Image Platform Program (Intel® SIPP)' can help your company identify and deploy standardized, stable image PC platforms for at least 15 months

3] Trusted Execution Technology
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology for safer computing is a versatile set of hardware extensions to Intel® processors and chipsets that enhance the digital office platform with security capabilities such as measured launch and protected execution. It enables an environment where applications can run within their own space, protected from all other software on the system.

spirodave1

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

They are not the same. The i7-4790k has a base operating frequency of 4.0 Ghz compared to the i7-4790 which is 3.6Ghz . Big difference. I own both the 4790 and 4790k and the 4790k out performs and can be found at reasonable prices now . I got mine for $249

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

I'm building a gaming PC, but not planning on OC it.
Is the 4Ghz 4790 K worth over the 3.6 Ghz 4790 then ?