Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

3 Gaming Builds Please help me pick One

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 27, 2014 1:12:36 AM

So iam trying to build a new PC and i want it to last me like 5-6 years like this one and no i dont need to play games on ultra for all 6 years i kinda want it like this 1-2yrs ultra 3-4yrs high 5-6yrs medium i've made 3 different builds.

But if you guys come up with a better one or want to mix and match parts please do as long it doesn't go above 1200$. thanks for any help or advice.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LordVex/saved/2yCFf7 #1
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LordVex/saved/96H8TW #2
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LordVex/saved/F2yqqs #3

More about : gaming builds pick

a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 1:24:16 AM

Here's my suggestion:

It's similar to luca's build, but I just modified it to be a bit more balanced in my opinion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1185.89
m
0
l
Related resources
July 27, 2014 1:25:46 AM

i'd say the first one is by far the best, but do you really want a blue ray drive? you could save like $30 if you switch to a dvd, if you did that than i'd say improve the cooling to something like an h100i for better overclocking. other than that not bad at all!
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 1:34:42 AM

misfitkid86 said:
i'd say the first one is by far the best, but do you really want a blue ray drive? you could save like $30 if you switch to a dvd, if you did that than i'd say improve the cooling to something like an h100i for better overclocking. other than that not bad at all!


Hmm i guess i could do that i mean ill probably wont be using blu-rays anytime soon and im all for making my cpu run cooler
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 1:38:51 AM

TopLuca said:
Small Adjustment to your #1 Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TopLuca/saved/g8VG3C
This should be the absolute bang for your buck.


I see you gave me a crazy gpu to buy haha do i really need it? also lowered my psu, with that card i wont i need my 750W?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 1:41:02 AM

LordVex209 said:
TopLuca said:
Small Adjustment to your #1 Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TopLuca/saved/g8VG3C
This should be the absolute bang for your buck.


I see you gave me a crazy gpu to buy haha do i really need it? also lowered my psu, with that card i wont i need my 750W?

No I use a 650W with the same exact GPU , Its fine and Dandy . Should give you substantial increase in FPS and Overall performance for a few more bucks

m
0
l
July 27, 2014 1:41:08 AM

Calnin said:
Here's my suggestion:

It's similar to luca's build, but I just modified it to be a bit more balanced in my opinion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1185.89


Lowered the speed of the ram any thoughts on why?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 1:43:06 AM

The performance difference between 1600 -> 2133 is marginal. Probably around 4-5fps. Unless you're running <30fps, there difference wouldn't really be noticed in most cases. Especially with the power of the rest of the system, you'd be able to run 30fps for years, sacrificing quality if need be.

If you want to go for the higher speed ram, it's not that much more expensive anyways. It might still be within your budget.
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 1:56:24 AM

Calnin said:
The performance difference between 1600 -> 2133 is marginal. Probably around 4-5fps. Unless you're running <30fps, there difference wouldn't really be noticed in most cases. Especially with the power of the rest of the system, you'd be able to run 30fps for years, sacrificing quality if need be.

If you want to go for the higher speed ram, it's not that much more expensive anyways. It might still be within your budget.


Yea ill probably will go for the 2133 and the price jump isn't that bad

m
0
l
July 27, 2014 1:59:56 AM

misfitkid86 said:
i'd say the first one is by far the best, but do you really want a blue ray drive? you could save like $30 if you switch to a dvd, if you did that than i'd say improve the cooling to something like an h100i for better overclocking. other than that not bad at all!


would there be a major difference between the h80i to the h100i?

m
0
l
July 27, 2014 2:02:47 AM

TopLuca said:
LordVex209 said:
TopLuca said:
Small Adjustment to your #1 Build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TopLuca/saved/g8VG3C
This should be the absolute bang for your buck.


I see you gave me a crazy gpu to buy haha do i really need it? also lowered my psu, with that card i wont i need my 750W?

No I use a 650W with the same exact GPU , Its fine and Dandy . Should give you substantial increase in FPS and Overall performance for a few more bucks



Ah ok ill use a 650W then but ill make it fully modular and Gold+ my nit picks nothing against that psu

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 2:03:54 AM

Surprise Surprise , The faster Frequency on the Ram isn't always better for gaming .
This video has a lot of surprises for you Lord and has an insight on why Calnin's choice of a lower Freq Ram is a good choice.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 2:10:36 AM

TopLuca said:
Surprise Surprise , The faster Frequency on the Ram isn't always better for gaming .
This video has a lot of surprises for you Lord and has an insight on why Calnin's choice of a lower Freq Ram is a good choice.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4


So lower cas= better performance? so if i can find 2133 ram at an cas 9 i should be good right?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 2:13:12 AM

LordVex209 said:
TopLuca said:
Surprise Surprise , The faster Frequency on the Ram isn't always better for gaming .
This video has a lot of surprises for you Lord and has an insight on why Calnin's choice of a lower Freq Ram is a good choice.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4


So lower cas= better performance? so if i can find 2133 ram at an cas 9 i should be good right?


Not in all cases , you can still get a higher Freq Ram and underclock it . Its all down to your preference mate

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 2:17:16 AM

The g.skills from Luca's build are actually 2133Mhz cas9.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32133c9d8gx...

As for the ram speeds to cas latency, 1600 Cas9 is considered minimum for most things.

As speeds get higher, cas latency needs to get higher to be stable. 1866Mhz cas10 is roughly the same performance as 1600 Cas9. Cas 11 2133Mhz is roughly around the same as 1866Mhz cas10. With the speed going up, and the latency going up 1 notch at a time, the overall speed still declines. But performance differences aren't going to be that much different. With 2133 Cas9, it's more likely going to be equivalent to 1600 cas7 or so, but slightly slower. Performance is still faster, but it's still not going to be that much faster. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 2:19:47 AM

TopLuca said:
LordVex209 said:
TopLuca said:
Surprise Surprise , The faster Frequency on the Ram isn't always better for gaming .
This video has a lot of surprises for you Lord and has an insight on why Calnin's choice of a lower Freq Ram is a good choice.
Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4


So lower cas= better performance? so if i can find 2133 ram at an cas 9 i should be good right?


Not in all cases , you can still get a higher Freq Ram and underclock it . Its all down to your preference mate



Hmm ok

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 2:25:10 AM

I believe the cm 212 evo would perform better than the h60. You should look around on that front, I'm not really entirely sure on that one. I personally also prefer air cooling over water. At the price of the h60, you could get the noctua NH-DH14 would performs very well. It's almost on level with some of the more expensive water coolers.

If you're going with a supernova nex psu, get the 750w one. Otherwise, go with a XFX 650w.

But to be honest, if you're going to overclock in the future, the build I suggested would do much better. If you're not going to be overclocking much, what you're looking at, plus the changes I'm suggesting with the cooler and power supply would be good enough.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 2:26:32 AM

Calnin said:
I believe the cm 212 evo would perform better than the h60. You should look around on that front, I'm not really entirely sure on that one. I personally also prefer air cooling over water. At the price of the h60, you could get the noctua NH-DH14 would performs very well. It's almost on level with some of the more expensive water coolers.

If you're going with a supernova nex psu, get the 750w one. Otherwise, go with a XFX 650w.

Thats a gold Certified one , That should be very sufficient
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 2:39:59 AM

Calnin said:
I believe the cm 212 evo would perform better than the h60. You should look around on that front, I'm not really entirely sure on that one. I personally also prefer air cooling over water. At the price of the h60, you could get the noctua NH-DH14 would performs very well. It's almost on level with some of the more expensive water coolers.

If you're going with a supernova nex psu, get the 750w one. Otherwise, go with a XFX 650w.

But to be honest, if you're going to overclock in the future, the build I suggested would do much better. If you're not going to be overclocking much, what you're looking at, plus the changes I'm suggesting with the cooler and power supply would be good enough.


Maybe some mild OCing but nothing to crazy, you know what i think i will go for the Noctua but a couple of questions would it fit in the case i picked and can i change the fans on it?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 2:49:14 AM

You can change the fans on it. As for compatibility, PCpartpicker didn't pick up any incompatibilities with the case, so I think it's good.
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 2:57:47 AM

Calnin said:
You can change the fans on it. As for compatibility, PCpartpicker didn't pick up any incompatibilities with the case, so I think it's good.


Alright cool then ill use it and its actually quieter than the water-cooled one

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 3:01:40 PM

Look good enough for me.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2014 2:18:17 AM

In gaming, the i7 has no real advantage over the i5.
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 2:27:07 AM

Calnin said:
In gaming, the i7 has no real advantage over the i5.


hmm even in the years to come?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2014 2:47:58 AM

As of right now, the i5 wouldn't bottleneck any graphics card in the market. Even when games become more CPU intensive and require more processing power, you have the ability to overclock your CPU which would help get rid of possible bottlenecks.

It really depends on what you're going to be playing and what not, it's hard to predict how long it'll take before more than 4 cores would be fully utilized.

If you want to go with it, sure, if you have the extra money lying around. As for the i5 vs i7, I still stand by the i5 being better in gaming compared to the i7. Even more recent games don't really have a huge difference.
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 2:59:06 AM

Calnin said:
As of right now, the i5 wouldn't bottleneck any graphics card in the market. Even when games become more CPU intensive and require more processing power, you have the ability to overclock your CPU which would help get rid of possible bottlenecks.

It really depends on what you're going to be playing and what not, it's hard to predict how long it'll take before more than 4 cores would be fully utilized.

If you want to go with it, sure, if you have the extra money lying around. As for the i5 vs i7, I still stand by the i5 being better in gaming compared to the i7. Even more recent games don't really have a huge difference.


Hmm ok then ill probably keep the I5-4690k and then upgrade the Tri-x to the Vapor-X and upgrade my Psu and Mobo cause now i plan to CF another 290 in two years is this good?

m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2014 3:13:29 AM

If, in two years, you feel like you need it, then go for it. It all depends on how much you can compensate for and what not.

Maybe come back in the time you are ready to add and ask for advice.
Share
!