Solved

Computer Speakers Help

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 2.1 speaker system for my computer. I want to spend under $200. I also want to have control over the volume. What do u guys recommend?


Thanks
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer speakers
  1. I've had a Sony 2.1 speaker set for six years and it's still going strong, quality made and the sub is excellent.
  2. do you need them to be computer speakers? also, are you interested in more refined sound or loud and boomy?

    the corsair 2.1 gaming set is pretty decent for the money but just a hair over your budget. pretty decent sound and also a bit loud and boomy.

    there are also models like the soundsticks iii which are around your budget which might not be as boomy but are well respected for sound quality.

    for $200 though i would suggest at least thinking about going with a decent pair of bookshelf speakers powered by an amplifier. hifi speakers are much better quality than the type found in computer speakers. not sure what to recommend though as i dont know your country of origin or if you consider this as an option or not.
  3. ssddx said:
    do you need them to be computer speakers? also, are you interested in more refined sound or loud and boomy?

    the corsair 2.1 gaming set is pretty decent for the money but just a hair over your budget. pretty decent sound and also a bit loud and boomy.

    there are also models like the soundsticks iii which are around your budget which might not be as boomy but are well respected for sound quality.

    for $200 though i would suggest at least thinking about going with a decent pair of bookshelf speakers powered by an amplifier. hifi speakers are much better quality than the type found in computer speakers. not sure what to recommend though as i dont know your country of origin or if you consider this as an option or not.


    Hey,

    I live in the U.S.
    I really don't want to go over $200.
    I checked out the soundsticks, but they do not have a volume control. I really want something with a volume control.

    Thanks
  4. the soundsticks do have a volume control.

    the subwoofer volume control is on the bototm of the subwoofer.

    since you live in the usa, you might be interested in doing something like this http://www.cnet.com/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/ but perhaps with better speakers and amp. that will make for a nice setup under $200. perhaps a pair of $100/pair bookshelves and then a half decent stereo amp to power them.
  5. ssddx said:
    the soundsticks do have a volume control.

    the subwoofer volume control is on the bototm of the subwoofer.

    since you live in the usa, you might be interested in doing something like this http://www.cnet.com/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/ but perhaps with better speakers and amp. that will make for a nice setup under $200. perhaps a pair of $100/pair bookshelves and then a half decent stereo amp to power them.


    The speaker/amp combo seems interesting. And if I could get something cheaper, that would be great.
    I actually want volume control so I can change volume quickly & also turn off the sub-woofer because I don't like the base on my cpu speakers, lol

    Thing is, I have limited desk space. I need to replace my logitech z4 speakers that died on me. Those have a width of 3.1"

    Do u know any speakers I can use with the amp combo that has a width similar to that?
  6. if you do not like bass then why dont you have a look at the T20 or T40 speakers from creative. they lack a subwoofer so will be bass-light however otherwise have great sound.

    the dayton speakers recommended by cnet are very good for the price and hard to beat in terms of value for the dollar. all bookshelf speakers however will be bigger than what you prefer and all satelites will be very bass light without a subwoofer. i'm not sure of any good satelite speakers off the top of my head
  7. ssddx said:
    if you do not like bass then why dont you have a look at the T20 or T40 speakers from creative. they lack a subwoofer so will be bass-light however otherwise have great sound.

    the dayton speakers recommended by cnet are very good for the price and hard to beat in terms of value for the dollar. all bookshelf speakers however will be bigger than what you prefer and all satelites will be very bass light without a subwoofer. i'm not sure of any good satelite speakers off the top of my head


    I still have my Polk Audio RM1300 satellite speakers from my old 5.1 sound system. Do you think they would be good to use?

    I also use the headphone jack on the control pod of my logitech z4. Does an amp allow for this?

    Based on this, what amp & cables would I need to get them to work with my computer?
  8. if you want you could likely use those speakers.

    i cannot seem to easily find any reliable specifications on them online so you will need to provide it. this information should be listed on the back of the speakers or in the manual.

    I need:
    what is the rated impedence (ohms) and wattage of the speakers? do they have standard speaker wire clips on the back?

    what you will likely need:

    -amp (which one depends on speaker specs)
    -3.5mm male Y cable to two red+white composite rca ends (or 3.5mm cable but this depends on the amp you get)
    -short length of speaker wire. (although this depends on if your speakers have clips or if they have wire pre-attached)
  9. ssddx said:
    if you want you could likely use those speakers.

    i cannot seem to easily find any reliable specifications on them online so you will need to provide it. this information should be listed on the back of the speakers or in the manual.

    I need:
    what is the rated impedence (ohms) and wattage of the speakers? do they have standard speaker wire clips on the back?

    what you will likely need:

    -amp (which one depends on speaker specs)
    -3.5mm male Y cable to two red+white composite rca ends (or 3.5mm cable but this depends on the amp you get)
    -short length of speaker wire. (although this depends on if your speakers have clips or if they have wire pre-attached)



    There is no info listed on the speaker itself other than they are RM1300.

    I found the manual online: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/311396/Polk-Audio-Rm6200.html?page=15#manual

    On the manual (p.15) it mentions: Nominal Impedance - compatible with 8 ohm outputs
    Is this what ur looking for?

    I don't see them mention the watts anywhere.

    They have speaker wire screws on the back. I don't believe this is an issue though. I took the wires from these old speakers to attach to my new speakers (which have wire clips) & they work fine.
    I would need to buy wires though.
  10. Actually, it says this on the manual:

    Recommended Amplification: 20-125Wrms

    Is that the wattage?
  11. yes that stands for 20-125watts RMS output. that is quite a broad range though. i was hoping for a more static number to be listed, but from what you listed it looks like they are 125w max so anything between 50-100w output power for an amp should be more than fine.

    however....

    i also need to know the resistance in ohms listed on the speakers or manual. amplifiers output different amounts of power at different ohm levels which is why this information is needed.

    i saw reference to them being 8ohm somewhere online however i could not trust that source and i need you to tell me
  12. ssddx said:
    yes that stands for 20-125watts RMS output. that is quite a broad range though. i was hoping for a more static number to be listed, but from what you listed it looks like they are 125w max so anything between 50-100w output power for an amp should be more than fine.

    however....

    i also need to know the resistance in ohms listed on the speakers or manual. amplifiers output different amounts of power at different ohm levels which is why this information is needed.

    i saw reference to them being 8ohm somewhere online however i could not trust that source and i need you to tell me


    I believe they are 8 ohms

    I found the manual online: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/311396/Polk-Audio-Rm6200.html?page=15#manual

    On the manual (p.15) it mentions: Nominal Impedance - compatible with 8 ohm outputs
    Is this what ur looking for?

    The speakers have speaker wire screws on the back. I don't believe this is an issue though. I took the wires from these old speakers to attach to my new speakers (which have wire clips) & they work fine.
    I would need to buy wires though.

    I also want the amp to have a headphone jack.
  13. Best answer
    the speakers being 8 ohm might be a problem....

    well for 8ohm speakers which can handle 20-120w...the cheapest amplifier you can get which can power those speakers to decent volumes would be something like this >this< which is available for $69 or >this< model for $62.

    however, keep in mind that in reality they are only good for 2x50w @4ohm or 2x25w @8ohm before you start getting some rather nasty distortion as they can have up to 10% distortion

    to power 8ohm home theater speakers without distortion you often need a bigger more expensive amp.

    something like a stereo receiver like this one http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130-Channel-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B006U1VH2S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406661204&sr=1-2&keywords=stereo+receiver which i've seen for $120 can easily power 100w @ 8ohm with 1% distortion (or 10x less distortion).

    now, there are certainly other products which are between those on budgets and might put out a little more power then the smaller stereo amps however due to low quality they also have rather high distortion.

    basically: if you want to listen at relatively low volumes... you can get away with the cheap option. however, if you want to crank up the volume you would want something better

    due to the rather large size of the amps required to power those speakers... as well as the prices for anything half decent it very likely is not worthwhile for you to go that route.

    ---

    since you have a very limited amount of desk space......you might want to stick with:

    -computer speakers (such as the t20, t40, soundsticks, or other speakers)
    -a micro hifi system (basically the style of >this< system.

    since you do not like bass... you might want to stay with a 2.0 set without a subwoofer.
  14. I don't know (understand) much of the the technical stuff about them, but I've been using the Logitech Z623 2.1 system for over a year and they are the best set of speakers in my house. They offer volume control and you can also take advantage of multiple line-in connections. The only thing they don't have is a remote.

    http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/7321

    Easily available and they fit well into your budget.
Ask a new question

Read More

Peripherals Speakers Computers