how to get 144 Hz refresh rate on asus VG248qe with AMD graphic card

Solution
If you are on win8.1, connect your monitor and gpu using DVI, then right click your desktop and click on Screen Resolution. Find where it says Advanced settings and click that, When you are on the "Adapter" tab (it is the first one) click on "List all modes" and scroll down to find 144hz. Also go to the "Monitor" tab and select you desired refresh rate from the dropdown menu.

I hope this helps. I have a VG278HE 144hz.

Regards.

Kari

Splendid
you need to use a Dual-link DVI or DisplayPort cable to connect it, you should then be able change the refresh rate to 144Hz in windows display settings or in Catalyst control center.

edit some cards have 2 DVI outputs but the other one might be Single-link version, so double check that. (Use the cable that came with the monitor.)

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

That is entirely incorrect.

I am running my VG248QE via display port from my R9 290 at 144hz.

The first time you connect the monitor you have to go into the display properties and select 144hz refresh rate. I believe it defaults to 75hz.

It cannot be incorrect for everyone, as I have mentioned, there are tons of people who come here with AMD cards getting 120hz max. I am not sure what is the cause of their lack of 144hz, but it may be DP vs dual link DVI. Just because you got 144hz, does not mean all AMD users are. What the causes the difference is unknown to me.

Rasgueados

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If you are on win8.1, connect your monitor and gpu using DVI, then right click your desktop and click on Screen Resolution. Find where it says Advanced settings and click that, When you are on the "Adapter" tab (it is the first one) click on "List all modes" and scroll down to find 144hz. Also go to the "Monitor" tab and select you desired refresh rate from the dropdown menu.

I hope this helps. I have a VG278HE 144hz.

Regards.

Solution

awephuk

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I can provide some insight on this. I currently have 2 Sapphire R9 280x in Crossfire, one is a Toxic, the other is a Vapor-X Tri-X OC. I also have 3 Asus VG248qe monitors. The monitors are connected using the DisplayPort and 2 DVI ports with Dual Link cables, all three monitors connected to the primary card, the Toxic.

This has been nothing short of a nightmare to get going correctly, and Sapphire support hasn't been any type of help at all. Usually I can get 144hz on the display port and one of the DVI ports, but only 60hz on the other display port. For some reason tonight I can only get 144Hz on the monitor connected to the DisplayPort.

However, if I use the Vapor-X as the primary card I can get 144hz across all three monitors, BUT I get BSOD every time I start a game.

Debating on selling both AMD cards and buying a NVIDIA card.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

A ton of people have been having with AMD drivers, I've just sold both my Asus R9 280Xs and planning to move to Nvidia as soon as I get paid.

monku

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

Hi...I have the same problem...I see only 120hz then 144hz...and I have an Acer XF270H and XFX r9 280x Dp...with no Displayport (i have displayport on my mainboard) but the pc and monitor are connected with a DVI-DL cable from manufacturer....soo what to do??

awephuk

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
An update to my situation.. I eventually used the Vapor as the main card and was able to get 144hz on all three monitors MOST of the time. When the Nvidia GTX 1080 came out I sold my two AMD cards and purchased one 1080 card, haven't looked back since.