Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disssambeled Laptop - It doesn't boot anymore!

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
July 27, 2014 12:07:28 PM

I am not exactly the smartest with computers, therefore I watched a video on YouTube and now my Dell Inspiron N5040 doesn't boot after disassembling it and cleaning it with Dust Destroyer Compressed Air. I might of missed a couple of screws but I don't think that would matter. I took out the Hard Drive on accident, but I am pretty sure I put it back in place. I also took out the heat-sink, but I am pretty sure I put it back in place.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR0iRYLEO9s
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2014 12:36:56 PM

Did you use new thermal compound when you replaced the heatsink? I doubt this would stop the computer booting, but it's certainly going to cause problems if you didn't. When you say it doesn't boot do you get any signs of life or is it completely dead?

TBH, it's very difficult to know what you may have done wrong but thinking that you may have missed out a couple of screws doesn't sound very methodical. I can only suggest that you have a very careful look to make sure that you haven't failed to reconnect any wires. If that doesn't help then you are going to have to find a knowledgeable friend or a good computer store to look at it for you.

I'm afraid that laptops can be quite tricky to disassemble/assemble.
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 12:40:01 PM

Ijack said:
Did you use new thermal compound when you replaced the heatsink? I doubt this would stop the computer booting, but it's certainly going to cause problems if you didn't. When you say it doesn't boot do you get any signs of life or is it completely dead?

TBH, it's very difficult to know what you may have done wrong but thinking that you may have missed out a couple of screws doesn't sound very methodical. I can only suggest that you have a very careful look to make sure that you haven't failed to reconnect any wires. If that doesn't help then you are going to have to find a knowledgeable friend or a good computer store to look at it for you.

I'm afraid that laptops can be quite tricky to disassemble/assemble.


I didn't even replace the heat-sink nor use thermal compound. I just took it out and then re-connected it to get the dust out.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2014 1:40:55 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you "took it out". If you removed it from the processor then you must have replaced it (by that I mean put it back, not replaced it with a new one). And if you did that you should have cleaned off the old thermal compound and put new on.

Anyway, my advice remains the same. I'd strongly suggest that you get a professional to look at it.
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 1:42:45 PM

Ijack said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you "took it out". If you removed it from thre processor then you must have replaced it (by that I mean put it back, not replaced it with a new one). And if you did that you should have cleaned off the old thermal compound and put new on.

Anyway, my advice remains the same. I'd strongly suggest that you get a professional to look at it.


I loosened the screws, took the fan out of the laptop and got dust out. I'm not actually sure if I took the heat-sink out.

I don't really want to pay $200 for someone to look at my laptop.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2014 2:21:56 PM

Quote:
I don't really want to pay $200 for someone to look at my laptop.

Fair enough. I hope that when you check it again some self-evident fault is found.
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 7:34:29 PM

Fixed the problem.

Hooray!
m
0
l
!