i5 4670 idle temp with 212 evo high?

snowkid2themax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I recently upgraded my CPU from an i5 750 to a i5 4670 and the idle temperature under the bios seems a bit high idling around 47c. I'm using a cooler master 212 evo with arctic silver 5 (pea method). Oddly enough changing the fan speed isn't really helping with the difference between 650 rpm and 1800 rpm being maybe 1-2c. It's in a mini tower that has 1 rear fan, though the 750 idled at 35c. Is this normal? Is the pea sized drop of AS5 not sufficient ? Is it my case ? The mobo idles around 32c

Solution
Funny, I've just been adding this answer for a few older posts and one post of my own due to finding the answer to my own problem. I just had a similar problem and after much hair pulling I discovered that the center thumbscrew for the hold down is actually adjustable. This is not mentioned in any of the online installation tutorials I've seen nor is it included in the instructions that came with my unit. It certainly affects the mounting pressure which in turn affects heat dissipation and it cured my problem, at least so far. It might not be your issue but it's certainly worth mentioning. Good luck.
Funny, I've just been adding this answer for a few older posts and one post of my own due to finding the answer to my own problem. I just had a similar problem and after much hair pulling I discovered that the center thumbscrew for the hold down is actually adjustable. This is not mentioned in any of the online installation tutorials I've seen nor is it included in the instructions that came with my unit. It certainly affects the mounting pressure which in turn affects heat dissipation and it cured my problem, at least so far. It might not be your issue but it's certainly worth mentioning. Good luck.

Solution
AS5 takes 200 hours of "thermal cycling" to cure.... (NOTE: Not 200 hours of use, 200 hours of time warming up / cooling down)....so recent installs will take a while to dial in.

Also your CPU won't dial down while in BIOS so idle temps should be recorded in windows.

LostAlone

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I know this might be something stupid to suggest but it can be really easy to overlook this stuff when you're just focused on your sweet new rig - It's summer. It's hotter than other times of the year. Higher ambient means higher component temperatures. When you say the 750 idled at 35, was that when it was a cooler time of year? 47 is certainly a higher temp, and at the same ambient it would be something to look at. But if it's five degrees hotter now than it was when you measured the 35, that could easily account for most if not all of the difference.

On a more practical level - I've heard (although I can't say for sure) that all the Haswell chips run hotter than older chips at the same speed. I've certainly heard people saying that their Haswell's idle at 41-42, so you aren't shockingly far ahead of that. Definitely check that your heat sink is properly applied (listen to DarkBreeze) but you you may need a more aggressive cooling solution to keep temps down.

Recognize that when you see it stated that:

"The Hyper 212 is a great cooler for the money"..... you have to think of it in that context and not truncate it to ""The Hyper 212 is a great cooler". You will see 7 - 10C improvements using the Phanteks PH-TC14-PE, Thermalright Silver Arrow and Noctua DH-14.

index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5lAbnPml4o

These three coolers will match or exceed the H110

index.php

And again, your CPU cooler is using interior case air as its heat sink.... in this weather, say 85F, that's like 30C any idea what your inside case temp is ?