Looking for Monitor Upgrade(?) Advice

My current monitor is an older Viewsonic VX2435wm.
It was a good, large (24"), fairly expensive, S-MVA panel display.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vx2435wm.htm

I had tested TN panels at the time and hated their quirks and artifacts, and since I do some video editing a VA panel sounded like a good trade off/step up.

Fast forward to the present and the monitor is still fine, but I was thinking of giving it to my dad so he can finally retire his CRT.

The ghosting from the 8ms gtg has always been an issue to me when gaming and I'm hoping for something newer and better.

The problem is, after researching, I'm not sure there IS better.
Most displays look to be either TN panels which can achieve higher than 60hz, which is nice, but I'll bet don't look much better than they did 7 years ago.

VA panels seem to be non-existent now, TN panels the only thing worth gaming on, and IPS panels seem expensive and hardly worth the upgrade.

I also like that this display is 1920x1200 since I watch 1080p content and still have room for a scan bar/controls at the bottom. 1200 lines would be a plus and I'm also willing to consider 1440p but not 4k.

Anyway, good gaming performance, decent off-axis viewing, colors & blacks, that are actually good... does anything exist or do I just get my dad something sub-$200 whatever and wait for OLEDs or something?

(Btw, the budget is probably +/- $300.)
8 answers Last reply
More about monitor upgrade advice
  1. Landstander said:
    My current monitor is an older Viewsonic VX2435wm.
    It was a good, large (24"), fairly expensive, S-MVA panel display.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vx2435wm.htm

    I had tested TN panels at the time and hated their quirks and artifacts, and since I do some video editing a VA panel sounded like a good trade off/step up.

    Fast forward to the present and the monitor is still fine, but I was thinking of giving it to my dad so he can finally retire his CRT.

    The ghosting from the 8ms gtg has always been an issue to me when gaming and I'm hoping for something newer and better.

    The problem is, after researching, I'm not sure there IS better.
    Most displays look to be either TN panels which can achieve higher than 60hz, which is nice, but I'll bet don't look much better than they did 7 years ago.

    VA panels seem to be non-existent now, TN panels the only thing worth gaming on, and IPS panels seem expensive and hardly worth the upgrade.

    I also like that this display is 1920x1200 since I watch 1080p content and still have room for a scan bar/controls at the bottom. 1200 lines would be a plus and I'm also willing to consider 1440p but not 4k.

    Anyway, good gaming performance, decent off-axis viewing, colors & blacks, that are actually good... does anything exist or do I just get my dad something sub-$200 whatever and wait for OLEDs or something?

    (Btw, the budget is probably +/- $300.)


    Hi - Yes it does exist, but it's closer to $500 than $300. The $300 range basically means (regardless of Avd hype)
    you get good color/blacks/viewing angle or good gaming but not all three.

    The $500 I mention prob provides the best all around:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000335-REG/eizo_ev2436wfs_bk_24_wide_scrn_tft.html

    At $300 the best I can think of is:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829236-REG/Dell_469_1137_U2412M_UltraSharp_24_LED.html

    or
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/877854-REG/ASUS_PA248Q_PA248Q_24_Widescreen_LED.html

    or $400
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910902-REG/nec_ea244wmi_bk_ea244wmi_24_widescreen_led.html
  2. I'll check those out when I get a chance. Did you limit the list based on 1200 lines or was that just coincidence?
  3. Landstander said:
    I'll check those out when I get a chance. Did you limit the list based on 1200 lines or was that just coincidence?


    Hi - I filtered it to 1200.
  4. Does the BenQ RL2460HT seem like a good answer? Tom's review seemed positive, but not glowing.
  5. Landstander said:
    Does the BenQ RL2460HT seem like a good answer? Tom's review seemed positive, but not glowing.


    Hi again - If you don't mind losing the 120 lines (1200 to 1080) and lesser viewing angle that the
    TN panel offers, I'd say it is a good choice for gaming.

    I'm not a gamer(maybe 10 hrs pr yr), so I would always lean towards the better colour and wider gamut
    that IPS panels offer.
  6. I thought that BenQ was an IPS.
  7. Landstander said:
    I thought that BenQ was an IPS.


    From Hardware Canucks review:

    "With gamers clearly targeted yet facing a pricing cap, BenQ has actually taken some decisions which may sound odd. In order to allow the RL2460HT to display crystal clear, lag free images at all times they have opted for seemingly unimpressive 60Hz TN panel that only has a resolution of 1920x1080. That’s right; 120Hz has been kicked to the curb. This alone is sure to exclude anyone who takes color fidelity and refresh rates seriously. However the used a top-shelf TN panel backstopped with enhanced electronics, resulting in an impressive 1ms response time and a virtual elimination of input lag".
  8. Thanks, I was misled by the first paragrah:
    "It is true that a panel with a quick draw time like this one renders smoother motion than the IPS-based screens we’re more accustomed to."
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics