Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

First gaming build. All help and criticism appreciated

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • PC
  • Build
  • Components
  • Time
  • First
Last response: in Components
July 27, 2014 5:12:19 PM

All prices from Newegg

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz ($329.99)
CPU Cooler: Corsair CW-9060008-WW ($85)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHZ($190)
Storage: Main -SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($200)
Storage: Secondary - WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM (HDD)($130)
Video Card: EVGA 04G P4-3776-KR GeForce GTX 770 4GB ($379)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and USB 3.0 Ports ($200)
Power Supply: Not sure yet, help wanted
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Does this sound like a solid rig? Do all of my components work together? (I tried my best to make sure they did.) I am aiming at max performance for budget. Please feel free to help/critcize/ask any questions! Thanks!

More about : gaming build criticism appreciated

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 5:18:53 PM

What is your total budget ?

Here is what i came up with for $1600

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($322.99 @ NCIX US) Same PRice as 4770k and 500 mhz faster
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.98 @ OutletPC) dont bother with liquid cooling this will overclock your cpu to 5ghz just fine
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ Newegg) dont need expensive board most of the features on expensive ones are just gimmics not worth the extra cost
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.04 @ NCIX US) in real world 8GB is more than enough you simply wont use more
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US) dont need pro version this is fine
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($464.99 @ Newegg) Will run any game at maximum setting
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US) currently best PSU out there
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1602.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-27 20:19 EDT-0400
Share
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 5:20:36 PM

Is this USD?

If it is, you should get a i7 4790k, but gaming alone, the performance difference between the i5 vs i7 is not really worth the extra cost.

For the price of the evga 770 4gb, you could get a r9 290 windforce or tri-x which would outperform the gtx 770 4gb in most situations.

PSU, minimum would be a XFX 650w bronze, it's a good enough unit for you to hold everything together and still have plenty of headroom for overclocking. You could also go with an EVGA supenova NEX 750w bronze if you want an overkill psu.
m
1
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 5:21:52 PM

1. The i7-4770K is not needed if you are gaming, get the i5-4690k.
2. If you don't really want an AIO cooler, just get something like an NH-D14
3. You won't need 16Gb of ram for gaming, and that RAM is quite expensive. Get some G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2133Mhz 8GB RAM, I saw them at $75 not too long ago. If not just get cheaper ram, anything over 1600Mhz should be fine.
4. Get the 840 Evo SSD, the 840 Pro is more expensive with no added benefit in real-life performance. It's better in benchmarks and that's about it.
5. Get a seagate ST1000DM003 HDD, it's $50 and it's just as good as any WD drive.
6. You could bump up the GPU to a 780 or an r9 290, if you do some of the changes above. This is what matters the most in gaming.
7. The Supernova G2 750W PSU can be found for a good price, I would suggest going with that, even if you don't need 750W, 650W is more than enough.
But anyway, all components work together.
m
1
l
July 27, 2014 5:21:57 PM

I would go with an r9 290 and windows 7. There are r9 290s available for around 370 (xfx). Use partpicker.com to help pick an appropriate power supple. 4770k is a little over kill for gaming, but you can never be too careful for next gen. You might want to go with two 128gb ssds and raid 0 them
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 5:23:32 PM

Calnin said:
Is this USD?

If it is, you should get a i7 4790k, but gaming alone, the performance difference between the i5 vs i7 is not really worth the extra cost.

For the price of the evga 770 4gb, you could get a r9 290 windforce or tri-x which would outperform the gtx 770 4gb in most situations.

PSU, minimum would be a XFX 650w bronze, it's a good enough unit for you to hold everything together and still have plenty of headroom for overclocking. You could also go with an EVGA supenova NEX 750w bronze if you want an overkill psu.


The XFX PSU would be better than the NEX.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 5:24:22 PM

Try87 said:
I would go with an r9 290 and windows 7. There are r9 290s available for around 370 (xfx). Use partpicker.com to help pick an appropriate power supple. 4770k is a little over kill for gaming, but you can never be too careful for next gen. You might want to go with two 128gb ssds and raid 0 them

Windows 7 is losing mainstream support in january.

m
0
l
July 27, 2014 6:39:58 PM

esco_sid said:
What is your total budget ?

Here is what i came up with for $1600

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($322.99 @ NCIX US) Same PRice as 4770k and 500 mhz faster
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.98 @ OutletPC) dont bother with liquid cooling this will overclock your cpu to 5ghz just fine
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ Newegg) dont need expensive board most of the features on expensive ones are just gimmics not worth the extra cost
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.04 @ NCIX US) in real world 8GB is more than enough you simply wont use more
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US) dont need pro version this is fine
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($464.99 @ Newegg) Will run any game at maximum setting
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US) currently best PSU out there
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1602.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-27 20:19 EDT-0400


Why the slower RAM? How much of an impact does faster RAM have on gaming?
Thank you very much for your suggestions
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 6:41:42 PM

Ytyoussef said:
1. The i7-4770K is not needed if you are gaming, get the i5-4690k.
2. If you don't really want an AIO cooler, just get something like an NH-D14
3. You won't need 16Gb of ram for gaming, and that RAM is quite expensive. Get some G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2133Mhz 8GB RAM, I saw them at $75 not too long ago. If not just get cheaper ram, anything over 1600Mhz should be fine.
4. Get the 840 Evo SSD, the 840 Pro is more expensive with no added benefit in real-life performance. It's better in benchmarks and that's about it.
5. Get a seagate ST1000DM003 HDD, it's $50 and it's just as good as any WD drive.
6. You could bump up the GPU to a 780 or an r9 290, if you do some of the changes above. This is what matters the most in gaming.
7. The Supernova G2 750W PSU can be found for a good price, I would suggest going with that, even if you don't need 750W, 650W is more than enough.
But anyway, all components work together.


So with the parts I have picked out would an i5 4690k perform about the same as my i7 4770k?
Thanks for your input
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2014 8:50:56 PM

johnnyboy30 said:
esco_sid said:
What is your total budget ?

Here is what i came up with for $1600

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($322.99 @ NCIX US) Same PRice as 4770k and 500 mhz faster
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.98 @ OutletPC) dont bother with liquid cooling this will overclock your cpu to 5ghz just fine
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ Newegg) dont need expensive board most of the features on expensive ones are just gimmics not worth the extra cost
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.04 @ NCIX US) in real world 8GB is more than enough you simply wont use more
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US) dont need pro version this is fine
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($464.99 @ Newegg) Will run any game at maximum setting
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US) currently best PSU out there
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1602.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-27 20:19 EDT-0400


Why the slower RAM? How much of an impact does faster RAM have on gaming?
Thank you very much for your suggestions


Ram speed will have zero impact in gaming its been proven many times

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2014 1:09:35 AM

johnnyboy30 said:
Ytyoussef said:
1. The i7-4770K is not needed if you are gaming, get the i5-4690k.
2. If you don't really want an AIO cooler, just get something like an NH-D14
3. You won't need 16Gb of ram for gaming, and that RAM is quite expensive. Get some G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2133Mhz 8GB RAM, I saw them at $75 not too long ago. If not just get cheaper ram, anything over 1600Mhz should be fine.
4. Get the 840 Evo SSD, the 840 Pro is more expensive with no added benefit in real-life performance. It's better in benchmarks and that's about it.
5. Get a seagate ST1000DM003 HDD, it's $50 and it's just as good as any WD drive.
6. You could bump up the GPU to a 780 or an r9 290, if you do some of the changes above. This is what matters the most in gaming.
7. The Supernova G2 750W PSU can be found for a good price, I would suggest going with that, even if you don't need 750W, 650W is more than enough.
But anyway, all components work together.


So with the parts I have picked out would an i5 4690k perform about the same as my i7 4770k?
Thanks for your input

Indeed. I would suggest you go with something like this though:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1494.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 04:07 EDT-0400


It has faster RAM, that's cheaper, the i5 processor, a better CPU cooler, that's bigger but cools better.
m
0
l