Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Fast HDD drives?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Seagate
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
Last response: in Storage
Share
July 27, 2014 10:35:29 PM

I need a fast drive for gaming 1 tb. I have a seagate barracuda and I believe its making games stutter, I hate it. I should have paid 4 extra dollars for a WD.:fou: 

More about : fast hdd drives

a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
July 27, 2014 10:39:31 PM

Why do you believe that it's the hard drive that's making games stutter?

Seriously, if it's a 7200RPM drive, then it's not going to be an issue, and I almost guarantee the stuttering is from something else; possibly a driver issue.
m
2
l
July 27, 2014 10:41:36 PM

michael219 said:
I need a fast drive for gaming 1 tb. I have a seagate barracuda and I believe its making games stutter, I hate it. I should have paid 4 extra dollars for a WD.:fou: 


Hard Drives 99.999999999% of the times are not the cause of stuttering.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
July 27, 2014 10:42:15 PM

If u wanna replace a HD, get an SSD - the Crucial MX100 is a great option
m
0
l
July 27, 2014 11:58:03 PM

DarkSable said:
Why do you believe that it's the hard drive that's making games stutter?

Seriously, if it's a 7200RPM drive, then it's not going to be an issue, and I almost guarantee the stuttering is from something else; possibly a driver issue.


Well, every time I open a game when it starts it lags 5- 10 seconds ( Is that normal?) like its loading, next I get a 5.9 on windows index and all my other specs are 7.6-7.9 and I get 75 fps (maxed out with v sync) on warface yet I still get stutters from a 3 fps drop!
Please see my thread on this issue, im killing myself over it... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2236942/warface-...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
July 28, 2014 12:47:20 AM

Well getting an SSD isn't going to slow things down - it will make your PC feel much quicker in day to day use - loads can be as much as 20x faster....

What is a 'Sentey' PSU... is that short for something else?
What is your case cooling like... is your GPU gettin too hot?

Your Windows Performance Index scores are normal for your hard drive btw...
m
0
l
July 28, 2014 1:35:53 AM

as everyone else said... once you have an hdd thats running at 7200rpm then your ok... if you faster boot game, game loading speeds etc... buy a ssd drive (solid state drive) and transfer your os to it and youll be ok
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
July 28, 2014 10:10:45 AM

michael219 said:
Well, every time I open a game when it starts it lags 5- 10 seconds ( Is that normal?) like its loading, next I get a 5.9 on windows index and all my other specs are 7.6-7.9 and I get 75 fps (maxed out with v sync) on warface yet I still get stutters from a 3 fps drop!
Please see my thread on this issue, im killing myself over it... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2236942/warface-...


It depends on the game, but most of them for me take about five to ten seconds to load, yes. Bear in mind that it's not just reading information off the drive, but setting up all the auxiliary programs it needs to function, loading everything into the RAM, and so forth and so on.

As for the windows index, you know that it's utter BS, right? You should not put any stock into it whatsoever. That being said, of course you don't get the highest score - windows knows that SSDs exist. :p 

Now... an SSD is not the solution to your problem. It's pointless to put games on an SSD because it doesn't improve framerates one bit; the ONLY thing that it's going to change is making loading screens slightly faster... and that's not really worth it.

SSDs are lovely to have, because putting the operating system on them makes them feel snappy and responsive, but your issue is not coming from your hard drive.

Look at your system when this happens. Either your CPU is overheating and throttling down to the point where it can't do anything, or you have a serious issue with your graphics drivers, or your power supply is failing. Those are the three most likely options, and given that you're using a power supply shaped object, not a power supply, my money is on the last one.

Note that it is not that the power supply is "too small", rather that it's a bad power supply that likely isn't doing its job right.

And just again, I'm going to state this: Your hard drive is not to fault for the stuttering.
m
0
l
July 28, 2014 10:21:23 AM

DarkSable said:
Why do you believe that it's the hard drive that's making games stutter?

Seriously, if it's a 7200RPM drive, then it's not going to be an issue, and I almost guarantee the stuttering is from something else; possibly a driver issue.


I believe its my HD because Ive got 16gb Ram and my Graphics is an R9 270, I dont understand what it could really be, its just seems the game keeps loading things and thats where it starts to stutter, only 3fps but its noticable for some reason.
m
0
l
July 28, 2014 10:25:48 AM

michael219 said:
DarkSable said:
Why do you believe that it's the hard drive that's making games stutter?

Seriously, if it's a 7200RPM drive, then it's not going to be an issue, and I almost guarantee the stuttering is from something else; possibly a driver issue.


I believe its my HD because Ive got 16gb Ram and my Graphics is an R9 270, I dont understand what it could really be, its just seems the game keeps loading things and thats where it starts to stutter, only 3fps but its noticable for some reason.


It's probably your cpu/graphics card thats causing the stutter.

m
0
l
July 28, 2014 10:35:06 AM

AznGOD said:
michael219 said:
DarkSable said:
Why do you believe that it's the hard drive that's making games stutter?

Seriously, if it's a 7200RPM drive, then it's not going to be an issue, and I almost guarantee the stuttering is from something else; possibly a driver issue.


I believe its my HD because Ive got 16gb PNY Ram and my Graphics is an R9 270, I dont understand what it could really be, its just seems the game keeps loading things and thats where it starts to stutter, only 3fps but its noticable for some reason.


It's probably your cpu/graphics card thats causing the stutter.



My CPU is an 8 core amd fx 8320 @ 3.5 ghz, this is a NEW build. I just built it last week. And I get 75 fps on this game that stutters, and goes down 3 fps on a stutter then back up to 75.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 28, 2014 10:42:16 AM

I can almost guarantee you that its not the HDD. Its likely that the cpu momentarily bottlenecks the gpu, or the gpu just suffers a frame dip when it is an intense scene. You can overclock the cpu and probably get a smoother performance. AMD is known to be slower than intel in single threaded games/application. Its also possible that the game is just poorly optimized.
Share
July 28, 2014 12:55:06 PM

AznGOD said:
I can almost guarantee you that its not the HDD. Its likely that the cpu momentarily bottlenecks the gpu, or the gpu just suffers a frame dip when it is an intense scene. You can overclock the cpu and probably get a smoother performance. AMD is known to be slower than intel in single threaded games/application. Its also possible that the game is just poorly optimized.


Yeah, your right. I am now leaning towards the cpu being the issue. Not because of it being slow or bottlenecking but its the heat, when it gets too hot it stutters, time to get some more fans... Also tried the game I was getting stutters a lot on my laptop at a playable rate ( all low settings) and I was still getting stutters, its definetly the game, someone in game said they had a titan and was getting these micro stutters, besides im pretty sure Warface ( stutter city) is still in beta. Thank you all for answering!!
m
0
l
July 28, 2014 1:06:03 PM

DarkSable said:
michael219 said:
Well, every time I open a game when it starts it lags 5- 10 seconds ( Is that normal?) like its loading, next I get a 5.9 on windows index and all my other specs are 7.6-7.9 and I get 75 fps (maxed out with v sync) on warface yet I still get stutters from a 3 fps drop!
Please see my thread on this issue, im killing myself over it... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2236942/warface-...


It depends on the game, but most of them for me take about five to ten seconds to load, yes. Bear in mind that it's not just reading information off the drive, but setting up all the auxiliary programs it needs to function, loading everything into the RAM, and so forth and so on.

As for the windows index, you know that it's utter BS, right? You should not put any stock into it whatsoever. That being said, of course you don't get the highest score - windows knows that SSDs exist. :p 

Now... an SSD is not the solution to your problem. It's pointless to put games on an SSD because it doesn't improve framerates one bit; the ONLY thing that it's going to change is making loading screens slightly faster... and that's not really worth it.

SSDs are lovely to have, because putting the operating system on them makes them feel snappy and responsive, but your issue is not coming from your hard drive.

Look at your system when this happens. Either your CPU is overheating and throttling down to the point where it can't do anything, or you have a serious issue with your graphics drivers, or your power supply is failing. Those are the three most likely options, and given that you're using a power supply shaped object, not a power supply, my money is on the last one.

Note that it is not that the power supply is "too small", rather that it's a bad power supply that likely isn't doing its job right.

And just again, I'm going to state this: Your hard drive is not to fault for the stuttering.


Yes, I think the cpu is getting hot, also I did put the psu into consideration ( I have a Sentey 650w, seems a bit fishy, should have gotten corsair). My graphics drivers are updated, I am now narrowed down to cooling and the psu, thank you for your time.Sorry I didnt see your post at first, I would have selected you as the best answer. ;) 
m
0
l
!