Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU clock is constant, how to make it variable?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 27, 2014 11:14:47 PM

Suddenly my CPU's clock have become constant. They are not fluctuating. I'm not running under full load.

Also the CPU VCore is fluctuating betweeen 1.232-1.296V, which before was used to fluctuate between 0.8-1.296V.

Why is this happening and how to stop this?

I have AsRock 990FX Extreme4. Cool & Quiet is enabled. Turbo Core is disabled. Rest is set to factory default value (UEFI defaults).

I also tried updating BIOS but that also didn't solve the issue.

I read somewhere that using AMD Overdrive or setting/resetting bios too many times causes CnQ to stop. How to solve it?

In Windows power plan it's set to 5% minimum.

I thought AMD OverDrive might have done something so I uninstalled that too.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2014 7:28:05 AM

Are you sure those are not faulty readings, i mean for 100% load those temps look pretty damn good. Im not big on AMD so i am not sure of the Temps under full load but at 100% your getting 40c almost makes me think its not running at 100%. have you looked into basic CNTRL ALT DELETE see if the cpu is in fact running at 100%? and there you can also see what programs are currently running.

I would say just go into your bios and turn Cool n Quiet back on see if that is your problem. It is under CPU settings.
m
0
l
July 28, 2014 10:12:30 AM

rdizz81 said:
Are you sure those are not faulty readings, i mean for 100% load those temps look pretty damn good. Im not big on AMD so i am not sure of the Temps under full load but at 100% your getting 40c almost makes me think its not running at 100%. have you looked into basic CNTRL ALT DELETE see if the cpu is in fact running at 100%? and there you can also see what programs are currently running.

I would say just go into your bios and turn Cool n Quiet back on see if that is your problem. It is under CPU settings.


I think you didn't understand my problem. If you see the pic carefully you can notice current load is around 25-30% and current temp is 39.4C. I have enabled cool & quiet, still the CPU Core Clocks are constant at 3991MHz, they are constant and not lowering down even if the CPU is idle. (By idle I mean I am not running anything heavy, it's not in sleep mode :)  ) BTW The issue here is related to fixing up my CPU Core Clock speed to "variable", rather than "constant", it's not about temp, that's an another story I'm dealing with, which has nothing to do with this thread :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2014 11:04:15 AM

Well thats the thing, Cool n Quiet from what i understand gives it the variable speeds. I wonder if your program overdrive left some sort of settings on to default CnQ to off. Even though you have it turned on.

** And ya i totally misread the OP...

m
0
l
July 28, 2014 11:15:05 AM

rdizz81 said:
Well thats the thing, Cool n Quiet from what i understand gives it the variable speeds. I wonder if your program overdrive left some sort of settings on to default CnQ to off. Even though you have it turned on.

** And ya i totally misread the OP...



I don't get where's the issue exactly. I tried all options from bios, reset it. Tried options from Overdrive also, tried uninstalling/reinsatlling (I used revo uninstaller to uninstall it, it cleared all registries etc). But still the clocks are constant.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2014 11:21:00 AM

I just read that power mode has to be set to "saver" in order for CnQ to work. Still reading into this.

WIsh I knew more about AMD. I did however find this. Seems to have a very similar issue, take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/284278-amd-cool-n-qu...
Share
July 28, 2014 12:58:11 PM

rdizz81 said:
I just read that power mode has to be set to "saver" in order for CnQ to work. Still reading into this.

WIsh I knew more about AMD. I did however find this. Seems to have a very similar issue, take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/284278-amd-cool-n-qu...


This is strange. I was always running on Balanced mode and it used to work, I tried just because you said and the "Power saver" mode worked. Thanks mate!
m
0
l
!