840 EVO 250GB Strange Errors

factor3

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hello, yesterday I purchased the 250GB version of the Samsung 840 EVO. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and until this evening had no problems. Then about an hour ago, I was just browsing the internet when out of nowhere I got this screen on Chrome.

Within about 5 seconds the computer shut off and restarted automatically. Upon restarting, I came to this screen. I honestly had no idea what to do at first so I pressed enter a couple times to "try again" and each time it would tell me a driver contained errors (this included winload.exe and ntoskrnl.exe and a couple others). Eventually, I just turned the whole thing off again and turned it back on.

When I turned it back on, I got this screen. So at this point, I was kinda panicking, hoping the drive itself wasn't faulty. Or possibly some of the drivers were somehow corrupted. So I figured I might as well get it into the BIOS and try and boot from my old HDD which was already plugged in (and on Windows 7). I turned it back on, managed to get into the BIOS and booted from that. I got the typical W7 "starting windows" screen and then for some reason it did a chkdsk. After it completed in about 15 minutes it restarted the computer.

However, instead of restarting and booting my old W7 HDD, it went straight to the SSD into Windows 8. No errors at all. Everything booted fine.

So after all this, should I be worried? Is this just a one time occurrence or is the drive possibly faulty (or could it be my W8 install)? The SMART tool in Samsung Magician says everything is "OK" and drive health is good, so it doesn't seem like there's any major errors. All in all I'm just really confused.. and a little afraid to restart ever again.

Solution
Wow. Glad I'm not in your shoes. :) I'd hazard a guess that something strange (that's a technical term, BTW) happened and a bit in the file system on the SSD got borked (another technical term). Running the checkdisk from Windows 7 fixed all of that and you should be good to go. Don't forget to take a system backup that you can restore from

Since you only installed Windows 8 last night, it may not be a bad idea to just run another install to the SSD and make sure everything is as kosher as it can be.
Wow. Glad I'm not in your shoes. :) I'd hazard a guess that something strange (that's a technical term, BTW) happened and a bit in the file system on the SSD got borked (another technical term). Running the checkdisk from Windows 7 fixed all of that and you should be good to go. Don't forget to take a system backup that you can restore from

Since you only installed Windows 8 last night, it may not be a bad idea to just run another install to the SSD and make sure everything is as kosher as it can be.

Solution