780 Twin Frozer or Asus Direct Thermal Design

Valiant Dark

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Im upgrading my gtx 650 to a 780 and i'm not sure whats the difference is between the msi gpu heatsink and the asus one is. I think there both Overclocked but not sure what gpu to get. I dont know if this helps but i'm have msi motherboard. Witch one would work better for my system?

Solution

Agreed. I have seen somewhere that the Asus is more quiet, but it could have been wrong. They're probably about the same. :)

Hi - Def go with the MSI version. Techpower gave it a 9.5 out of 10. and said:

MSI's GeForce GTX 780 GAMING is a great custom-designed GTX 780. It comes overclocked out of the box, giving it a 4% performance advantage over the NVIDIA reference board. This leaves the card just 3% behind the much more expensive GTX Titan, a difference too small to notice during typical gaming.
MSI also made sure that the card does not crack the 80°C barrier during gaming, because NVIDIA's Boost 2.0 algorithm will throttle the card some more beyond that point, resulting in reduced performance. Overall, I really like the cooler. It runs cool, looks nice, and is very quiet. The card is also almost inaudible in idle, which is great if you work a lot and game rarely. When gaming, fan speed will increase to keep the card cool, but the card is still really quiet. It is much quieter than any other GTX 780 we tested so far. It seems as though MSI really focused on low noise with their GAMING Series, which users will certainly love.
Overclocking worked well, but ended up a bit lower than on other GTX 780 cards we previously reviewed. While luck of the draw might have played a role with our overclock, it could also be indicative of a GTX 780 Lightning for overclockers in the near future. That said, I'd personally pick lower noise over a 20 MHz higher overclock any day.
With just a $10 price premium over the reference design bringing the total to $660, pricing of the MSI GTX 780 GAMING is extremely reasonable. The GTX 780 is of course not cheap, but that's the price you'll have to pay for the high-end. If you have that much money to spend, the GTX 780 is definitely a great choice, and you should definitely consider the MSI GTX 780 GAMING.

Tweaktown gave it 93% & both sites gave it Editors choice. And the MSI seems to go on special every other
week for $600, making it a no-brainer.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I'd recommend the Asus card. It runs slightly quieter, a little cooler and has a nice looking backplate, whereas the MSI has fairly ugly brown PCB. They are both great cards though. :)

Yes the MSI has good reviews but the Asus card is even better.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Considering it's that much cheaper, it's probably a better idea to go with the MSI. Where I live they are the same price which makes the Asus the obvious pick.

Hi - The MSI is the better choice, while the Asus does run a little cooler, it is not as stated above
quieter. The MSI is quieter. The Asus is a little faster, but I wouldn't spend xtra $40 for something
not visually noticeable.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Agreed. I have seen somewhere that the Asus is more quiet, but it could have been wrong. They're probably about the same. :)

Solution
ugh.....

the asus is quieter because it is clocked at 941mhz while the msi is clocked at 1006mhz. put them both at 1.20v and 1200mhz and the msi stays cooler and has virtually the same fan noise.

get the msi, its a better card. the asus also uses the digi+ asp1212 voltage controller which is the worst out of all the gk110 controllers... even the reference ncp4206 is better.... while the msi gaming has the slightly ncp4208 which is better and more tune-able.

Guess it sometimes depends which site you read. From a comparison by Hardware Info
of Asus, MSI, Inno, & EVGA ACX 780's:

"We can't leave out the card from MSI. While it's slightly less overclocked and has less overall overclocking potential than the cards from Inno3D and EVGA, it's extremely quiet under load, the most silent of them all. It's also significantly cheaper than the other three, so if you're not planning on extreme overclocking, this MSI card is the best option".

Latest posts