£450 - £500 Gaming PC with OS and Peripherals.

Luke Field

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Hey guys my cousin is thinking about switching to PC gaming. He has a 24 inch TV which he can use as a monitor 1080p etc. I need a good build which if decently future proof and has upgrade options. Needs to come with OS and keyboard and mouse but any old cheap keyboards will do.

CPU
GPU
PSU
RAM
CASE
MOBO
Keyboard
Mouse
OS

For the OS can I use my old Windows 7 disc and then change the product key to another key to activate it? This would save me quite a lot of money.

Awaiting your builds :) need it to run every game 1080p and most games at high-ultra and can do medium on some.

Solution
This looks good to me! Keep in mind, at this price-range, you're probably not going to be able max out most modern games at "ultra", but you can come close. Try turning down "Anti-Aliasing" first.

If you had wiggle room, I'd bump up to a FX-8320, a R9 280, or add an aftermarket cooler to keep the temps down, and let you experiment with overclocking--like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. All of those will leave you a little more future-proof.

Rapajez

Distinguished
Well, maybe start with some of the recommended builds here, such as http://www.tomshardware.com/system-configuration-recommendation-54.html, or the ones at the top of the system forum.

Then post what you're thinking and we'll go from there. One minor change that they might not account for is the Intel "Devils Canyon" and "90 series" chipsets were released very recently, along with a couple GPUs from AMD. Like I said, post what you're thinking and we can go from there. Also, I didn't see a storage drive on here. I'd recommend adding a SSD if you can squeeze it in, as it drastically speeds up game loading and everyday PC stuff.

Is your Windows 7 disc OEM, upgrade, professional? etc? Usually, a new motherboard counts as a "new computer" to Microsoft, although a long phone call can get you around it.

Luke Field

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah I meant to add a HDD need a 1TB hdd to start him off. My windows disc is OEM home premium. I managed to install it onto another computer fine but didn't activate it which is why I am asking whether a new activation key would get me around this problem.

Rapajez

Distinguished
This looks good to me! Keep in mind, at this price-range, you're probably not going to be able max out most modern games at "ultra", but you can come close. Try turning down "Anti-Aliasing" first.

If you had wiggle room, I'd bump up to a FX-8320, a R9 280, or add an aftermarket cooler to keep the temps down, and let you experiment with overclocking--like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. All of those will leave you a little more future-proof.

Solution
Both broadwell and geforce 800 series should be out by xmas...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£78.16 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£65.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£58.73 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£30.70 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£12.76 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.77 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte KM7580 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£16.80 @ Aria PC)
Total: £501.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-01 12:29 BST+0100

Luke Field

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Luco i've heard that the 750ti can be outperformed by a r9 270x or something. The 270x apparently outperforms the 750ti a lot and it is only £20 more to get the r9 270x so wouldn't it be better to get the 270x

Rapajez

Distinguished

Yes, the 270X is much faster in nearly every game. Actually, even the R7 265(non-x) is 19% faster in most games: http://anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell/24

The 750Ti is really only a good buy if you're worried about power consumption, or size.