Will a 10/100 Switch be good enough for a small LAN party?

killamar5

Reputable
May 22, 2014
I have two 3Com 10/100 switches that work but never have been used. I was wondering would the speeds on them be fast enough for a small LAN party (4-5 people)? Or should I invest in one of those NetGear Gigabit switches?

Solution
Likely you will be fine. The only concern would be the connection between the switches. A example of a stupid way to hook them up to illustrate would be if you have 2 8 port switches and hook them together. Then you hook a single server to one and 7 user machines to the other. If all your traffic was from the user machines to the server all 7 machines would be limited to the port speed between the switches.

You really have understand your traffic flow so you reduce your bottlenecks as much as possible. Generally you can run all the ports on most switches at full speed and have no impact on the other ports. This means all ports can run at maximum speed simultaneously. So traffic between ports on the same switch have little or...
Likely you will be fine. The only concern would be the connection between the switches. A example of a stupid way to hook them up to illustrate would be if you have 2 8 port switches and hook them together. Then you hook a single server to one and 7 user machines to the other. If all your traffic was from the user machines to the server all 7 machines would be limited to the port speed between the switches.

You really have understand your traffic flow so you reduce your bottlenecks as much as possible. Generally you can run all the ports on most switches at full speed and have no impact on the other ports. This means all ports can run at maximum speed simultaneously. So traffic between ports on the same switch have little or no impact but traffic between switches needs to be watched.

Now it may not really matter. A lot of games are designed to run on the internet and only use a couple megabit of traffic so you likely will have no issues no matter how bad you cable them. You should be most concerned if you have a central server the machines must download parts of the game from dynamically.

With a little planning 10/100 switches could even run a fairly large lan party.

Solution

killamar5

Reputable
May 22, 2014

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help, forgot to mention that I have two 24 (10/100) and 25-26 (10/100/1000) port switches. I don't think I'll need both of them for a couple people but thanks anyway!