R9 290 Black Screen Issue

killingdyl

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I am currently running a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X with a Corsair AX850 Power supply. Frequently the display on both of my monitors will blank out forcing me to hard shutdown my computer. When the display cuts out, from the convenience of Sapphires 290, the led changes colors to show that it is getting hot and all 3 fans start up. I am running the latest 14.7 Beta drivers on Windows 8.1

Edit: Forgot to add that this happens at the desktop, and sometimes after restarting, within 5 minutes of logging in, it happens again.

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
I will post you what I recommend for someone earlier with this issue, I also experienced the same problem. Let me go find the old thread and I will post some things for you to try. Also, use the 14.4 driver, the 14.7 is bugged to hell at the moment.

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
BEFORE YOU TRY THIS! DO THIS FIRST! BELOW

Right click on your desktop and go to "Personalize", under "Basic and High Contrast Schemes" Select, Windows Basic. Windows AERO themes currently have a bug that windows is trying to release a hotfix for. These bugs include black screens and screen tearing/flickering.

Now do the following:

1. Download DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
2. Uninstall Catalyst Control Install Manager and whatever other Catalyst Control Center related products there are in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program. Select Custom Uninstall and check every single box there is.
3. Download this: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool And save it into a brand new folder on your desktop! NOWHERE ELSE! Or download the AMD 14.4 Driver and do the same thing.
4. Boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 during windows boot
5. Run DDU, check the box that says erase c:/amd/nvidia folders, and press the button at the top that says "Recommened" Wipe and Reboot.
6. Boot regularly and navigate to the folder where you saved either the Auto Detect Driver download software, or amd 14.4.
7. Install and reboot.

Let me know your results, hopefully this works (Fingers Crossed)

killingdyl

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Ill try the aero fix later, but the reason im using the beta driver is to fix the 0xa0000001 BSOD i was getting before, which i am now not getting anymore.

killingdyl

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Ok i tried your solution and it didnt work. However i notice that if i run a game or play a video when i login, that my computer stabilizes. Any ideas as to why this might be happening?