r9 290 Fan Noise in bf4 ?

pugno50

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
How do the r9 290 tri-x OC's fans perform in bf4 ?? Max 50% Load ?? And is it normal ?? The noise is normal when playing ??

Solution
All 290's and 290X's get pretty damn loud when playing games. You can't avoid it unfortunately. It was one of the reasons I sold my MSI Twin Frozr 290 OC.

If you can tolerate the heat and noise the Tri X 290 is still a great value card.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
All 290's and 290X's get pretty damn loud when playing games. You can't avoid it unfortunately. It was one of the reasons I sold my MSI Twin Frozr 290 OC.

If you can tolerate the heat and noise the Tri X 290 is still a great value card.

Solution

pugno50

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Wow i saw you in top 10 experts :D
Fortunately i have logitech g430 ;)

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Ooh, yay :) I only started using this forum a couple days ago.
Glad I could help out. That's a nice headset ;)
So you're going to get the Tri-X? If so, enjoy it. :D

Mounty_078

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

I have a Club3D R9 290 which is pretty cool at mostly 72 degrees and also considered as the less noisy ones but it's still pretty loud under load. It's not offensive loud but still loud.

leeb2013

Honorable

I think you took my comment a little out of context. I meant no unacceptable heat or noise and is certainly quieter and cooler than any other cards I've had recently including; Gainward 2.5 slot GTX680 Phantom, HD7950 DD and HIs ICEq HD7950, whilst being substantially more powerful and overclocked to 1GHz.
My PC is whisper quiet in a very quiet house on the edge of the suburbs. At idle, I can just hear it above my breathing (which itself is not unduly noisy, I have no sinus issues (or none that are unduly unacceptable within the variance of normality). Most games don't really push the R9-290 so the fan's remain just above idle and temps 65-70C. Some recent AAA games on ultra, using 3 monitors will push it to 100% so the fans ramp up, but it stays below about 75C, which is no hotter than any other GPU. I game with the volume quite low as my kids are in bed in the next room, in which case I can't hear the fans. If I turn the sound off, then I can hear them, but they are still quiet, a bit like blowing out gently through your mouth. If it's raining or windy outside, that's louder.

Hope that clears up the noise and heat issue!

Alex Kelly

Honorable

That's a much better response :D
Sounds like the Tri X is a great card.
It's surprising that it stays below 75C, although I imagine it would get noticeably loud at 100% fan speed...

leeb2013

Honorable

Ha thank you lol! At 100% fans yes, very noisy. I only did that when testing max overclock.

pugno50

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

When does it go 100% ? In what softwares or games ?

leeb2013

Honorable

" I only did that when testing max overclock. " otherwise never, approx. 33% playing BF4 on 3 monitors, mild o/c to 1000MHz.