Solved

Need to know whether graphics card can fit into the case?

I am currently planning on building a gaming rig. I have selected all the parts and the case, however, I am afraid that maybe the parts will not fit into the case. The graphics card might not fit there as the specs of the case confuses me.

Here is the link to the case http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/haf-912-advanced/
Here is the link to the motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87PRO/
Here is the link to the PSU http://www.corsair.com/en/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu
Here is the link to the GPU http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/specifications/

From the specs of the case, the max compatibility of the VGA card is
270mm / 10.6 inch(with HDD cage)
390mm / 15.4 inch(without the 1st HDD cage)

But the graphics card is 11.2 " x 5.7 " x 1.5 " Inch

So if I assemble all the parts together, will it fit or will it not? I am confused.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card fit case
  1. it will fit if you remove the 1st drive cage.
  2. Danbuscus25 said:
    it will fit if you remove the 1st drive cage.


    And will I be able to put in my drives after the removing the 1st drive cage? Any pros and cons?
  3. yes, you can still put in your drives in the remaining cages. not really any pros or cons, except that the card will fit if you remove the 1st drive cage.
  4. Danbuscus25 said:
    yes, you can still put in your drives in the remaining cages. not really any pros or cons, except that the card will fit if you remove the 1st drive cage.


    Can you tell me how many slots the 2nd bay has? And do they support 3.5" drives? The numbers from the specs and the picture advertised does not match.
  5. you would still have 5 normal 3.5" bays, and 2 that are converted.
  6. Yup I have the same case with a r9 290. Remove the drive bay. It is only 4 screws and a tug. Never will need that anyway.
  7. Remove the 1st drive cage and install the graphic card and the rest of the hard disk in the remaining drive cage, or use a shorter graphic card such as this one http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_760_DirectCU_Mini/ it offers pretty much close to r9 280x except in smaller footprint and run them in sli. it's practically impossible to fit a notoriously hot and power hungry hawaii gpu on a smaller board
  8. danco5074 said:
    Yup I have the same case with a r9 290. Remove the drive bay. It is only 4 screws and a tug. Never will need that anyway.


    I am planning to have 2 of 3.5" drives in my rig. Where would my 3.5" drives be? Bottom right? But I thought the drive bay on the most bottom right can only take 2.5" drives?
  9. Danbuscus25 said:
    you would still have 5 normal 3.5" bays, and 2 that are converted.


    I am planning to have 2 of 3.5" drives in my rig. Since the 3.5" drive bay is taken out. Where would my 3.5" drives be? Bottom right? But I thought the drive bay on the most bottom right can only take 2.5" drives?
  10. Best answer
    Cutme774 said:
    Danbuscus25 said:
    you would still have 5 normal 3.5" bays, and 2 that are converted.


    I am planning to have 2 of 3.5" drives in my rig. Since the 3.5" drive bay is taken out. Where would my 3.5" drives be? Bottom right? But I thought the drive bay on the most bottom right can only take 2.5" drives?


    You will use the top PCI-E port for the card, so the middle bay is taken out. I use the same bay as my optical drive for my HDD and SSD. You could use the bottom if you wish.
  11. danco5074 said:
    Cutme774 said:
    Danbuscus25 said:
    you would still have 5 normal 3.5" bays, and 2 that are converted.


    I am planning to have 2 of 3.5" drives in my rig. Since the 3.5" drive bay is taken out. Where would my 3.5" drives be? Bottom right? But I thought the drive bay on the most bottom right can only take 2.5" drives?


    You will use the top PCI-E port for the card, so the middle bay is taken out. I use the same bay as my optical drive for my HDD and SSD. You could use the bottom if you wish.

    Oh I didn't know that the bottom bay can take 3.5" drives too:) How many 3.5" drives can the bottom drive bay take?
    And you said that you use the same bay as your optical drive to put your HDD, I assume you mean the 5.25" bay on the top right of the case. Most drives are 3.5", how did you manage to put a 3.5" drive into a 5.25" drive bay? Thank you for your patience with me:)
  12. Cutme774 said:
    danco5074 said:
    Cutme774 said:
    Danbuscus25 said:
    you would still have 5 normal 3.5" bays, and 2 that are converted.


    I am planning to have 2 of 3.5" drives in my rig. Since the 3.5" drive bay is taken out. Where would my 3.5" drives be? Bottom right? But I thought the drive bay on the most bottom right can only take 2.5" drives?


    You will use the top PCI-E port for the card, so the middle bay is taken out. I use the same bay as my optical drive for my HDD and SSD. You could use the bottom if you wish.

    Oh I didn't know that the bottom bay can take 3.5" drives too:) How many 3.5" drives can the bottom drive bay take?
    And you said that you use the same bay as your optical drive to put your HDD, I assume you mean the 5.25" bay on the top right of the case. Most drives are 3.5", how did you manage to put a 3.5" drive into a 5.25" drive bay? Thank you for your patience with me:)


    You'll need the adjusting parts that should have come with the HDD in order to use other bays. They are two adjustable brackets that screw into the side of the larger bay and close the gap. If you use a front intake, the middle and bottom bays will impede some airflow, so top is the best IMO.
  13. danco5074 said:
    Cutme774 said:
    danco5074 said:
    Cutme774 said:
    Danbuscus25 said:
    you would still have 5 normal 3.5" bays, and 2 that are converted.


    I am planning to have 2 of 3.5" drives in my rig. Since the 3.5" drive bay is taken out. Where would my 3.5" drives be? Bottom right? But I thought the drive bay on the most bottom right can only take 2.5" drives?


    You will use the top PCI-E port for the card, so the middle bay is taken out. I use the same bay as my optical drive for my HDD and SSD. You could use the bottom if you wish.

    Oh I didn't know that the bottom bay can take 3.5" drives too:) How many 3.5" drives can the bottom drive bay take?
    And you said that you use the same bay as your optical drive to put your HDD, I assume you mean the 5.25" bay on the top right of the case. Most drives are 3.5", how did you manage to put a 3.5" drive into a 5.25" drive bay? Thank you for your patience with me:)


    You'll need the adjusting parts that should have come with the HDD in order to use other bays. They are two adjustable brackets that screw into the side of the larger bay and close the gap. If you use a front intake, the middle and bottom bays will impede some airflow, so top is the best IMO.

    Ok I will assume that the case will fit my oversized GPU, 2 x 3.5" HDDs, a H87-Pro Motherboard, a CS750M PSU, and other stuff. I will be on my way to build my PC! Thank you:)
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Do It Yourself Graphics Cards Components