Is 1000 Mbps as good as it gets?

jameson8714

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
Is 1000 Mbps as fast as it gets for on board ethernet? If so can is there any way to upgrade it? I recently got fiber optics connection and am trying to take advantage of it as much as i can.

P.S. i am in the middle of my first build.

Solution
In ethernet form (copper) 1000mbps (which is 1gbps) is as fast as you get.

You can go full fiber optics in your home and get 10gbps but you will pay thousands of dollars between the switches, running the fiber to computers and the fiber optic nic cards.

With only select cities having 1gbps (1000mbps) internet connection, hard drives only being able to write marginally faster then 1000mbps and media streaming not requiring anywhere near that bandwidth (true blu-ray streaming uses at most 35mbps), there is just no demand for more then gigabit speeds in homes or small businesses
In ethernet form (copper) 1000mbps (which is 1gbps) is as fast as you get.

You can go full fiber optics in your home and get 10gbps but you will pay thousands of dollars between the switches, running the fiber to computers and the fiber optic nic cards.

With only select cities having 1gbps (1000mbps) internet connection, hard drives only being able to write marginally faster then 1000mbps and media streaming not requiring anywhere near that bandwidth (true blu-ray streaming uses at most 35mbps), there is just no demand for more then gigabit speeds in homes or small businesses

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
What speed do you get from your provider? Highly unlikely it is faster than 1Gb/s.
Google fiber, or maybe if you live in Seoul SK...

So, your 1Gb/s equipment is only relevant on your internal LAN. Between you and the router, or between your PC and other devices. Only when wired of course. WiFi will be slower.
Yes, you could spend significant money for 10Gb/s equipment. But very much not worth it outside of a data center.

And also, when talking to the outside world, the overall speed also depends on what the remote server can serve up.

xTempered

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Not 100% sure but I dont believe theres anything higher than the 1000mbs. Not many places have internet speeds that surpass a gb/s so the standard hasnt changed for 10/100/1000mb/s ethernet ports. Once more places start getting things like Fiber we'll start seeing a change in standard ethernet ports being able to support high than a gb/s. But honestly you should be happy you can get that much at all. I run on like 5mb/s

And from what i've seen google fiber doesnt have a consistent gb/s speed. It fluctuates from a gb/s down to like 800mb/s

Another great point. If the server you are downloading from can only upload the file at 20mbps then guess what, your download of the file is only going to be 20mbps.