R9 290 seems to heavy to support itself

Lenster

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
I just got my used R9 290 installed, and it appears to be too heavy to support itself.
The right side of the card is drooping my a centimeter or two lower than the left side, where the card is attached. Is this normal?

Solution

You could always replace it with something like a water cooler from NZXT (like the Kraken G10). That will run you around $60 for the cooling bracket and water cooler (any AseTek cooler should work). The water cooler tubes could theoretically hold the GPU up but it would put...

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
If you mounted it correctly to the chassis PCI covers then yes, it is normal. My 660TI droops a bit as well and that's not nearly as big. Did the little plastic tab that comes off the right side of the PCI E slot hook onto the GPU? If it didn't then it's not supported correctly.

Lenster

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

yes it did. Also, my card has the Gelid Icy Vision cooler on it, and the fans are making a horrible clicking noise, as if they're hitting something. I can't find anything.

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

You could always replace it with something like a water cooler from NZXT (like the Kraken G10). That will run you around $60 for the cooling bracket and water cooler (any AseTek cooler should work). The water cooler tubes could theoretically hold the GPU up but it would put strain on them.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS